Question To those who go straight to convertible no infant seats

hlucas777

Hi all just wondering some tips of advice when going straight to a convertible seat instead of having an infant seat. What do you do at church, etc? Thanks for any advice

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I hold or wear the baby at church and in the store, etc. I do have a stroller with a bassinet/carrycot that can be used when out and about and the carrycot can be set down in a restaurant or at someone's house if necessary.

scoutingbear

I baby wore or used a stroller (or her Grandpa held her. He is a champion at eating even the messiest of foods and being able to hold a baby.)

Loved being able to pop the baby in the sling and go. Especially with big kids and sports and things that don't always easily accommodate a stroller.

featherhead

I use an infant seat for the first few months, and my baby never sits in it for church. I take her out and leave it in the foyer under the coat rack. And then I just hold her.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, we actually had a rear-facing only bucket this last time too, but I can count on one hand the times she stayed in it out of the car. (It's just not a good idea for babies to stay in it more than necessary. Plus my mom would kill me if I did. She worked Craniofacial for years and she's anti-baby-devices. LOL)

MommyShannon

Yep, I just wore her all the time. Made everyone happier. The Baby K'tan was handy to keep in the car for that purpose since you don't have to wrap it and accidentally drag it on the ground. If I knew I'd be holding her longer, I'd put the Moby on at home. We rarely went out to eat, but once she was 4 months or so with good head control but too small for a high chair, I'd put her in the Moby facing out while sitting at restaurants. I didn't carry her facing out since that's not recommended, just sat that way so she could play with a toy while I ate. After 6 months or so I liked the Ergo. At other houses, I took a blanket or our Fisher Price Rock n Play along since it folds flat. I preferred her to lay on a blanket for the same reasons staying in the bucket isn't good unless all my kids were at my dad's or somewhere they run all around. Then I was too worried she would get run over by the other 3 and used the Rock n Play.

SynEpona

DS had an infant seat, but I think it left the car to go into a restaurant maybe 3 times? Not more than 5. I did take it in the house, b/c it was easy -- it was lent to us, and I was happy to be rid of it when he was 6mth or so.

DD went straight into a Radian in my car, and only had an infant seat in DH's truck b/c he often had customers in his passenger seat during the week, so it was easier to bring the seat in the house and out of his way, but still have something she could ride in w/o a complete install on the weekends.

I wore her most everywhere, and DS too, neither of them sat in a grocery store cart till they were over 9mth, I rarely took my stroller anywhere either - maybe shopping, but I'd end up wearing them anyway, and pushing an empty stroller! In church, once we were in the door, they were either in the sling/carrier or snuggled up with one of the seniors or teens, even if I'd taken them *IN* in the infant seat, they wouldn't have stayed there long before someone 'needed' to hold them!

I wish we could have gone straight to Radians this time too, but the logistics of getting twins + toddler in and out of the house, driveway, car, parking lots ... we've got the infant seats, but I expect they will be mostly for house to car use, and stay in the car most often at our destination, provided I have enough arms/slings/wraps to contain everyone! :)

ebp913

I'd probably do a combination of a stroller and babywearing. I like to babywear but there are times when I just need some space so I liked having a stroller option. Even though baby #3 will be in the Keyfit for us, I don't plan to keep then in it outside of the car much. I think I'll really need my hands so I definitely plan to wear or use my stroller as much as possible. My stroller can actually work for all 3 of my kids (2 in seats and 1 on a board) so I'll probably rely on that a lot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC