News Small overlap test stymies midsize SUVs

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
mazda-CX9.jpg
Two GM models, the Chevrolet Equinox and its twin, the GMC Terrain, are the only midsize SUVs out of nine tested to earn a good rating in the small overlap front crash test.

dw7OARRQMxo

More...

ADS

msg221

I just read this earlier this morning and after my friend and I decided last night to go look at the Honda Pilot today (for her, not me! Two new cars for DH and I in 3 months is enough!). Now that Pilot is off the list after those crash tests so she's looking at the Highlander instead.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sort of misleading that they didn't mention ALL of the mid size SUVs that received a good rating. They didn't list the luxury models below:

Acura MDX
Mercedes M class
Volvo XC60
Volvo XC90

tl01

Sort of misleading that they didn't mention ALL of the mid size SUVs that received a good rating. They didn't list the luxury models below:

Acura MDX
Mercedes M class
Volvo XC60
Volvo XC90

I am bummed they didn't do the M Class. I hope they do it by September as DH might get one for his next car.

tl01

I just read this earlier this morning and after my friend and I decided last night to go look at the Honda Pilot today (for her, not me! Two new cars for DH and I in 3 months is enough!). Now that Pilot is off the list after those crash tests so she's looking at the Highlander instead.

I don't really understand why Toyota didn't build the Highlander to pass this test with a good rating. Didn't the new highlander just get refreshed? I really don't see why Toyota hasn't made safety a top priority on so many of their models. Makes me glad I'm not driving my Sienna anymore... Especially after all the hassle the van and corporate gave me.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am bummed they didn't do the M Class. I hope they do it by September as DH might get one for his next car.

They did test the M class. And it received Good in small overlap. It's actually a Top Safety Pick+ for 2014. I was saying that their recent article says only 2 mod size SUVs received a good rating in small overlap, when it's actually more. They didn't list the luxury mid size that did well.

(Mobile link for M class test results) http://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/mercedes/m-class

tl01

They did test the M class. And it received Good in small overlap. It's actually a Top Safety Pick+ for 2014. I was saying that their recent article says only 2 mod size SUVs received a good rating in small overlap, when it's actually more. They didn't list the luxury mid size that did well.

(Mobile link for M class test results) http://m.iihs.org/mobile/ratings/mobileratings/mercedes/m-class

Thanks for yet! I was looking at something else and it looked like it hadn't been tested yet. Maybe it was an old graph or something. Glad it received a good rating. I would have been disappointed if it hadn't:). Now to convince DH that that is what he wants. Or, I think with some husbands... you have to make it look like they came to the decision themselves;).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't really understand why Toyota didn't build the Highlander to pass this test with a good rating. Didn't the new highlander just get refreshed? I really don't see why Toyota hasn't made safety a top priority on so many of their models. Makes me glad I'm not driving my Sienna anymore... Especially after all the hassle the van and corporate gave me.

I think they did build it with the new test in mind, but apparently missed the mark slightly. The 2014 Highlander did get an "Acceptable" rating in the new test, which is pretty good considering how many vehicles get "Marginal" or "Poor" results. You can still get the Top Safety Pick+ award with an Acceptable rating and the necessary safety features and "Good" results in the other tests, which the new Highlander did.

This new test is a simulation of a type of crash that isn't as common as frontal, moderate overlap frontal or side impacts. I would have no issue driving a vehicle with an Acceptable result and Good/5-star/4-star results in other testing.

A number of small and midsize SUVs earned the TSP+ award. Only a handful had "Good" marks in all of the individual tests. How many of those also received a 5-star overall NHTSA rating AND 5-star results in each individual NHTSA crash test? Four. The Acura MDX, Maxda CX-5, Mercedes ML class and Volvo XC60. Kudos to Mazda for doing it at a reasonable price point as well! Of course the luxury models had better IIHS ratings for active frontal crash protection systems.

The Subaru Forester and Mitsubishi Outlander just missed with one 4-star NHTSA individual frontal crash test result.

The Nissan Rogue is somewhat notable as doing very well in the IIHS moderate and small offset testing, but pretty poorly in the NHTSA frontal crash test, receiving 3-stars for the driver and 2-stars for the passenger.

tl01

I think they did build it with the new test in mind, but apparently missed the mark slightly. The 2014 Highlander did get an "Acceptable" rating in the new test, which is pretty good considering how many vehicles get "Marginal" or "Poor" results. You can still get the Top Safety Pick+ award with an Acceptable rating and the necessary safety features and "Good" results in the other tests, which the new Highlander did.

This new test is a simulation of a type of crash that isn't as common as frontal, moderate overlap frontal or side impacts. I would have no issue driving a vehicle with an Acceptable result and Good/5-star/4-star results in other testing.

A number of small and midsize SUVs earned the TSP+ award. Only a handful had "Good" marks in all of the individual tests. How many of those also received a 5-star overall NHTSA rating AND 5-star results in each individual NHTSA crash test? Four. The Acura MDX, Maxda CX-5, Mercedes ML class and Volvo XC60. Kudos to Mazda for doing it at a reasonable price point as well! Of course the luxury models had better IIHS ratings for active frontal crash protection systems.

The Subaru Forester and Mitsubishi Outlander just missed with one 4-star NHTSA individual frontal crash test result.

The Nissan Rogue is somewhat notable as doing very well in the IIHS moderate and small offset testing, but pretty poorly in the NHTSA frontal crash test, receiving 3-stars for the driver and 2-stars for the passenger.

I agree it is better than a marginal or poor score... And it does look like they considered it... But it just surprised me it wasn't a priority to make sure it got a "good". I read a lot about the NHTSA testing and what stood out to me is the size dummies that they use. I was really surprised they use such a small female dummy and I truly wonder how valid the test results are for women who are much taller etc assuming there is not abnormal cabin intrusion. It seems the small overlap test is very much about cabin intrusion and structural strength and that is a crucial element for me.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yup, there are so many different possible angles of crashes and types of passengers that I think a result could easily move up or down a notch with a slightly different test. Keep in mind that at least some evaluations of the results are based on the integrity of the vehicle and not just dummy measurements. We do have the benefit in the USA of having a few different frontal and side impact tests with multiple dummies. Many other countries are limited to a single frontal and side impact testing protocol. Even though you can't test every scenario, my sentiment is, the more the merrier! (and safer).

tl01

Yup, there are so many different possible angles of crashes and types of passengers that I think a result could easily move up or down a notch with a slightly different test. Keep in mind that at least some evaluations of the results are based on the integrity of the vehicle and not just dummy measurements. We do have the benefit in the USA of having a few different frontal and side impact tests with multiple dummies. Many other countries are limited to a single frontal and side impact testing protocol. Even though you can't test every scenario, my sentiment is, the more the merrier! (and safer).

Agreed... And I fully understand that part of the NHTSA score is based on the integrity of the vehicle. I love that we have the IIHS testing too because I feel that their testing did a lot for improving the structure of vehicles with their original overlap testing. Goodness knows that no matter how the belt fit is... If there is significant intrusion.. It is a bad situation for the passenger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC