Police officers Trained?

longstocking

Are police officers trained as actual CPST? (lol, sorry, I can never remember that acronym so that might be wrong).
There is no one in my area so out of desperation I stopped by the police station to ask a few questions. They came out to check ... gave me a new infant seat and also insisted my boys needed backless boosters (My boys are maybe 41lb and 40" - ages 4 and 5 in a Securekid and Maestro 5-point). No, they aren't mature enough to be out of their 5-point harness. They are over 30lbs, they need these seats now. We're good with the ones we have. Okay, take 2 anyway because you'll want to switch over soon. Thanks -- now I have two backless boosters for no reason. And, my girl won't be 2 until June 15th - he turned her seat FF because it was time. I-Yi-Yi
Thanks for the help?

ADS

longstocking

I'm having a hard time getting my seats to fit so I was hoping someone could help me figure out the best solution. It's hard to describe without being able to see my problems. Police officer solution? If the boys had backless boosters the other two seats would fit.

Keeanh

Well, you know the drill ;)

What vehicle? What seats do you have? What are your kids' stats. I'm sure we can come up with something better than putting 4 & 5yos in backless boosters :)

I'm curious why they gave you a new infant seat. Is it common for police depts in the US to have seats to give away? I know ours doesn't.

jjordan

Well, you know the drill ;)

What vehicle? What seats do you have? What are your kids' stats. I'm sure we can come up with something better than putting 4 & 5yos in backless boosters :)

I'm curious why they gave you a new infant seat. Is it common for police depts in the US to have seats to give away? I know ours doesn't.

I don't know whether or not it is common - I don't think the police departments around here have seats to give out. But it doesn't surprise me to hear that some do. I was at a seat check in the fall where there was a police officer there (state police) and he actually had a bunch of bike helmets in his cruiser to give out.

MotoMommaNH

One of my CPST instructors is a fire fighter (or former but still at the local department, whatever that entails, captain?). Either way, hes a huge part of our SafeKids coalition in the state and definitely gives away seats to families at checks that need them etc.

Definitely a possibility.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm having a hard time getting my seats to fit so I was hoping someone could help me figure out the best solution. It's hard to describe without being able to see my problems. Police officer solution? If the boys had backless boosters the other two seats would fit.

There is a tech in your area now. Let me know if you need help contacting her.

longstocking

if we're talking about the same lady, I contacted her - she moved to Cache County in Utah. (BTW - I'm in no mans land in SE Idaho just about an hour S. of Yellowstone)
They gave me a new infant because mine expired in January and my husband refused to use a convertible for our 7 week old - he likes the convenience of the infant. I know the police or fire departments in the several states we've lived in have had seats for those who need them. They are all the least expensive ones but who can complain with free?
I feel like I've hashed out my carseat woes so many times no one else wants to hear it - lol
We have a 98' Suburban (no tether and no latch but it does have locking seat belts). The two boys are in a Securekid and Maestro in the 3rd row - they are fine. The first bench has an infant seat and a Roundabout 50. The RA is for a girl who turns 2 mid June, she's around 28 lbs (I really need to weigh and measure her because I really don't know) The front bench is a 75/25 split bench which means it has a portion that folds down so you can access the back. I am trying to put the infant behind the driver and RF the RA in the middle next to the infant so it leaves access to fold down the access seat. But the RA keeps sliding off the edge of the seat, no matter how tight I get the seatbelt I have to scootch it back on after every car ride. I can have the boys climb over the seat and put the RA outboard behind the passenger seat but I can't RF it because then the boys can't get around it to be able to climb into the back. If I FF face it there is no way to tether it so after a few car rides it starts tilting sideways, no matter how tight the seatbelt is. My husband (it's another story) will only allow our kids to RF until 2, he absolutely refuses after that so since she's almost 2 I guess if I have to FF her I will. New seats are not a possibility with our student loans budget. And the RA doesn't fit between the Evenflo's in the back.
It's just a mess and I have no idea - lol (I will be visiting a more popular area in a month and a half so I might see if I can find a tech at that time)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you put one of the boys second row, tether to the belt behind, put the other one third row behind the folded down seat, and put the baby in back?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I volunteered with a police officer at checks before. She was great! I've also experienced many who know absolutely nothing about car seat safety.

I wish I was an instructor because I have ties with a lot of police officers around here and I could lead a class for them.

Athena

And, my girl won't be 2 until June 15th - he turned her seat FF because it was time. I-Yi-Yi

Do you know how to turn it back yourself? I would do that asap. I've seen police techs who aren't all that good, even if they're trained. Techs aren't all equal.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
We have a 98' Suburban (no tether and no latch but it does have locking seat belts).

I'm about 99% positive that you can use the rearmost cargo anchors as tether points for the 3rd row in that model year of Suburban. Anybody with an older LATCH manual want to double check that?

The two boys are in a Securekid and Maestro in the 3rd row - they are fine. The first bench has an infant seat and a Roundabout 50. The RA is for a girl who turns 2 mid June, she's around 28 lbs (I really need to weigh and measure her because I really don't know) The front bench is a 75/25 split bench which means it has a portion that folds down so you can access the back. I am trying to put the infant behind the driver and RF the RA in the middle next to the infant so it leaves access to fold down the access seat. But the RA keeps sliding off the edge of the seat, no matter how tight I get the seatbelt I have to scootch it back on after every car ride.

I have seen this with some seats before. Have you tried it with the infant seat in the middle to see whether it works better that way? What if you don't fold the passenger side seat out of the way permanently, but leave it empty so the kids can either scoot it forward for access or climb over it if that's easier for you?

sunnymw

No, no, and no. There are no CPSTs at most of our local departments (zero at mine but I'm hoping to change that within the year). There were 2 at one of the local departments but they weren't exactly "best practice"---but considering some of the misuse I've seen I can see where their mentality changes over time to "OMG, I'd be happy if they were in SOMEthing!"

fyrfightermomma

Some are. Some aren't. Just like fire departments. Just depends. We have an amazing one on our pd and I'm the one on our Fd. So our community is lucky in that regard :) Hope you can find the help you need!

disbugsmomma

There are none in the PD or FD in my area. There are a few techs in town, but they only hold one public check a year and I've always had to work during it. We do have the people at Toy House, but they aren't techs and I've actually seen them give some not so great advice (like selling snugglers and bundle mes to people) and they're really big on "Britax is the Best!" I wish there were more of a tech presence around here, we need it.

VoodooChile

None here. They refer people to our SafeKids coalition. They run a check station at the children's hospital, and are pretty great (I worked a seat check with them as a scribe last year).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC