2 and 3 year olds on bus (merged thread)

Malka

I'm trying to figure out if putting two and three year olds on a regular yellow bus (has lap belts) is possible. The company claims that in New Jersey, kids don't need car seats on a bus, but I'm not comfortable with that. I'm looking online and I see harnesses and vests that can be used on buses but they don't look very convenient. Anyone here who can recommend something that would be quick and easy for anyone to install on a daily basis? I don't know if the company could give us the same bus every day, and it might be used for other routes, so I'm guessing we couldn't leave seats on the bus (installing and leaving a regular car seat to be used would be ideal but I don't think it's possible). Any ideas?

ADS

cantabdad

Federal NHTSA guidance is that children of "preschool age" on school buses should be in age-appropriate carseats/ restraints. Compartmentalization is considered adequate for older children over about 40 pounds.

You could get lightweight carseats like a Cosco Scenera to take on & off the bus. Check out the lap belts, though -- some of them are hard to work with or lock in ways that are different from a car.

KetchupQueen and others on this board could give you more detail on tethering, RF vs FF, and how the carseat affects where other child occupants can sit.

Dillipop

Kids under 40 pounds should be in a harness on a bus. Compartmentalization doesn't work for small kids. For such small kids, I'd want a hard shelled seat personally but some of the harnesses they make for buses are pretty awesome as well.

Why are your kids riding a bus? Do they have IEPs? If so, you can get it written into their IEP that they have to be transported in a harness.

AustinMusic

Re: 2 and 3 year olds on bus

Do you know if the buses have integrated child restraints? I believe there are models which accommodate a child up to 85lbs. This could be a solution if they are available.

That said, a vest could also be a good solution – particularly if convenience is an important factor.

...I see harnesses and vests that can be used on buses but they don't look very convenient. Anyone here who can recommend something that would be quick and easy for anyone to install on a daily basis?

First, while I have no experience of school bus transport, we use both the E-Z-On 103Z and 102 Vests in our family car. We find them very convenient to install and use; certainly no less convenient than a standard child seat.

Second, if the child is using a vest you can ensure it is correctly adjusted and fitted before the child boards the bus. To check the correct usage of a child seat you would likely need to board the bus each time (of course this is only possible for the journey to school).

I don't know if the company could give us the same bus every day, and it might be used for other routes, so I'm guessing we couldn't leave seats on the bus.

Third (and this depends on the bus provider/school policy), you could keep the vest at home – you know it is adjusted correctly, that it has not been damaged or compromised due to misuse, and that there are no unexpected sanitary concerns.

Most importantly, whatever restraint is used, if it will be fitted by someone other than yourself, you will need to be sure it will be used correctly. From reading some of the threads on the forum, the correct usage of child restraints on buses – or lack thereof – can occasionally become an issue. Just be sure that any staff responsible for installing restraints and securing students are fully trained and are correctly using any seats, harnesses or vests.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC