Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Question Flying with baby who hates car seat

I know it is very strongly recommended to buy seats for infants on airplanes. My question is, how do you handle a baby who hates the car seat?

When DD was 4 months old, we flew to Disney World (we're from CA, so cross country). I didn't buy a seat for her at the time, but one of our 4 flights, I was able to use a spare seat for her car seat. She hardly sat in it though, because the only time she wasn't screaming was when she was in my arms. I can manage through the screaming in the car, but it really stresses me out to inflict it on so many others. It also seems like I've read horror stories of people being kicked off flights for screaming kids, and I would be devastated if that happened to us.

We are planning another trip to Disney World early next year and baby #3 will be about 4 months old when we go. While we are planning to buy a ticket for him - what do I do if he has similar temperament to DD? She would scream herself breathless and occasionally start gagging if I let her go too long.
    Megan, mama to Genevieve (7/09) booster, Kristoffer (2/12, 37lbs, 45") ffing Nextfit, and Theodore (9/14, 27lbs, 36") rfing Marathon CT. Expecting #4 6/30, will be riding in a Snugride30.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I am not sure but I would love to hear what others suggest.
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Re: Flying with baby who hates car seat

I didn't fly at all when I had a child like that. Kid two is entirely different in temperament.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

Senior Community Member unityco's Avatar
    Like adults, infants only need to be in their seats when the seatbelt light is on - so take off and landing (the most dangerous portions of the flight,) and turbulence. If it maintains everyone's sanity to hold them while cruising, I don't think that's unreasonable.
    Last edited by unityco; 04-06-2014 at 12:12 PM.

6. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by unityco View Post
    Like adults, infants only need to be in their seats when the seatbelt light is on - so take off and landing (the most dangerous portions of the flight,) and turbulence. If it maintains everyone's sanity to hold them while cruising, I don't think that's unreasonable.
    I agree. But I also wanted to point out that children who react that strongly to car seats are the exception rather than the rule, so chances are really good that your next baby will be just fine in the car seat.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Do whatever you can to keep the baby happy if you have to fly, and I have read a great idea where you buy a bunch of earplugs and cookies, and wrap them up with a note that says sorry if I'm upset as this is my first flight, and then hand them out as needed.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Carseat Crazy

Please don't bring on board any "goodie bags" for other passengers. I'm a former Flight Attendant and I find this rather patronizing. Passengers would rather you see you spend your time and energy taking care of your child, rather than wasting time handing out stuff. No one ever complained to be about a child whose parents were actively trying to do something about the crying.

You need your luggage space for all the baby items, not any goodie bags for other passengers (the FAA frowns on this too).

Two of my children HATED their car seats. It actually turned out to be a non-issue on our 11 1/2 hour transatlantics. When awake, they did what they wanted and only went in the seats for take-off, landing and when they slept. It was easier to have, especially the youngest, in her seat because instead of fighting her to stay on my lap, I could snap her in her harness and while she protested, I could really comfort her. I could talk to her, hold her little hands but I made it clear, no getting out of the seat. She would calm down once she knew it wasn't worth the battle.

No, you do NOT get kicked off for a crying baby. You can get kicked off because you can't control your child. If your child will not stay in your lap during taxi and take-off, yes, you could get kicked off, crying or not (usually yes). I heard of one baby crying during the safety video but that would be unlikely.

Everyone is awake on take-off and landing anyway so if your baby cries, it's not the end of the world for the other passengers. Your baby has the right to be on the plane and don't be overly sensitive. Other people have had kids. Other people see you trying your best. No need for silly bags of goodies or other gimicks. Just take care of your baby and you'll be fine!
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

CPS Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
    Please don't bring on board any "goodie bags" for other passengers. I'm a former Flight Attendant and I find this rather patronizing. Passengers would rather you see you spend your time and energy taking care of your child, rather than wasting time handing out stuff. No one ever complained to be about a child whose parents were actively trying to do something about the crying.

You need your luggage space for all the baby items, not any goodie bags for other passengers (the FAA frowns on this too).

Two of my children HATED their car seats. It actually turned out to be a non-issue on our 11 1/2 hour transatlantics. When awake, they did what they wanted and only went in the seats for take-off, landing and when they slept. It was easier to have, especially the youngest, in her seat because instead of fighting her to stay on my lap, I could snap her in her harness and while she protested, I could really comfort her. I could talk to her, hold her little hands but I made it clear, no getting out of the seat. She would calm down once she knew it wasn't worth the battle.

No, you do NOT get kicked off for a crying baby. You can get kicked off because you can't control your child. If your child will not stay in your lap during taxi and take-off, yes, you could get kicked off, crying or not (usually yes). I heard of one baby crying during the safety video but that would be unlikely.

Everyone is awake on take-off and landing anyway so if your baby cries, it's not the end of the world for the other passengers. Your baby has the right to be on the plane and don't be overly sensitive. Other people have had kids. Other people see you trying your best. No need for silly bags of goodies or other gimicks. Just take care of your baby and you'll be fine!
    I agree 100%. Your baby WILL bother other people, but who cares? I am bothered by kids every day, even my own, but that doesn't mean the kids don't have a right to be out in public. If other people are pissy, that is THEIR problem!

Carseat Crazy
    I have found that on our flights to Orlando it's almost all loud super excited families with young children. They're actually my favorite flights. All kids laughing and yelling super excited to get to Disney.

Carseat Crazy
    Thanks for the comments. I'm that person who didn't go to class if I was 2 minutes late so people wouldn't stare and practically runs her baby out of the restaurant the moment they start to cry. I am mortified when my children act up in public. I just hate any kind of negative attention.
    Megan, mama to Genevieve (7/09) booster, Kristoffer (2/12, 37lbs, 45") ffing Nextfit, and Theodore (9/14, 27lbs, 36") rfing Marathon CT. Expecting #4 6/30, will be riding in a Snugride30.