Flying with baby who hates car seat

megan.amarice

I know it is very strongly recommended to buy seats for infants on airplanes. My question is, how do you handle a baby who hates the car seat?

When DD was 4 months old, we flew to Disney World (we're from CA, so cross country). I didn't buy a seat for her at the time, but one of our 4 flights, I was able to use a spare seat for her car seat. She hardly sat in it though, because the only time she wasn't screaming was when she was in my arms. I can manage through the screaming in the car, but it really stresses me out to inflict it on so many others. It also seems like I've read horror stories of people being kicked off flights for screaming kids, and I would be devastated if that happened to us.

We are planning another trip to Disney World early next year and baby #3 will be about 4 months old when we go. While we are planning to buy a ticket for him - what do I do if he has similar temperament to DD? She would scream herself breathless and occasionally start gagging if I let her go too long.

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Like adults, infants only need to be in their seats when the seatbelt light is on - so take off and landing (the most dangerous portions of the flight,) and turbulence. If it maintains everyone's sanity to hold them while cruising, I don't think that's unreasonable. :)

Last edited:

jjordan

Like adults, infants only need to be in their seats when the seatbelt light is on - so take off and landing (the most dangerous portions of the flight,) and turbulence. If it maintains everyone's sanity to hold them while cruising, I don't think that's unreasonable. :)

I agree. But I also wanted to point out that children who react that strongly to car seats are the exception rather than the rule, so chances are really good that your next baby will be just fine in the car seat. :)

1mommy

Do whatever you can to keep the baby happy if you have to fly, and I have read a great idea where you buy a bunch of earplugs and cookies, and wrap them up with a note that says sorry if I'm upset as this is my first flight, and then hand them out as needed.

Eclipsepearl

Please don't bring on board any "goodie bags" for other passengers. I'm a former Flight Attendant and I find this rather patronizing. Passengers would rather you see you spend your time and energy taking care of your child, rather than wasting time handing out stuff. No one ever complained to be about a child whose parents were actively trying to do something about the crying.

You need your luggage space for all the baby items, not any goodie bags for other passengers (the FAA frowns on this too).

Two of my children HATED their car seats. It actually turned out to be a non-issue on our 11 1/2 hour transatlantics. When awake, they did what they wanted and only went in the seats for take-off, landing and when they slept. It was easier to have, especially the youngest, in her seat because instead of fighting her to stay on my lap, I could snap her in her harness and while she protested, I could really comfort her. I could talk to her, hold her little hands but I made it clear, no getting out of the seat. She would calm down once she knew it wasn't worth the battle.

No, you do NOT get kicked off for a crying baby. You can get kicked off because you can't control your child. If your child will not stay in your lap during taxi and take-off, yes, you could get kicked off, crying or not (usually yes). I heard of one baby crying during the safety video but that would be unlikely.

Everyone is awake on take-off and landing anyway so if your baby cries, it's not the end of the world for the other passengers. Your baby has the right to be on the plane and don't be overly sensitive. Other people have had kids. Other people see you trying your best. No need for silly bags of goodies or other gimicks. Just take care of your baby and you'll be fine!

gigi

Please don't bring on board any "goodie bags" for other passengers. I'm a former Flight Attendant and I find this rather patronizing. Passengers would rather you see you spend your time and energy taking care of your child, rather than wasting time handing out stuff. No one ever complained to be about a child whose parents were actively trying to do something about the crying.

You need your luggage space for all the baby items, not any goodie bags for other passengers (the FAA frowns on this too).

Two of my children HATED their car seats. It actually turned out to be a non-issue on our 11 1/2 hour transatlantics. When awake, they did what they wanted and only went in the seats for take-off, landing and when they slept. It was easier to have, especially the youngest, in her seat because instead of fighting her to stay on my lap, I could snap her in her harness and while she protested, I could really comfort her. I could talk to her, hold her little hands but I made it clear, no getting out of the seat. She would calm down once she knew it wasn't worth the battle.

No, you do NOT get kicked off for a crying baby. You can get kicked off because you can't control your child. If your child will not stay in your lap during taxi and take-off, yes, you could get kicked off, crying or not (usually yes). I heard of one baby crying during the safety video but that would be unlikely.

Everyone is awake on take-off and landing anyway so if your baby cries, it's not the end of the world for the other passengers. Your baby has the right to be on the plane and don't be overly sensitive. Other people have had kids. Other people see you trying your best. No need for silly bags of goodies or other gimicks. Just take care of your baby and you'll be fine!

I agree 100%. Your baby WILL bother other people, but who cares? I am bothered by kids every day, even my own, but that doesn't mean the kids don't have a right to be out in public. If other people are pissy, that is THEIR problem!

sunnydayz

I have found that on our flights to Orlando it's almost all loud super excited families with young children. They're actually my favorite flights. All kids laughing and yelling super excited to get to Disney. :)

megan.amarice

Thanks for the comments. I'm that person who didn't go to class if I was 2 minutes late so people wouldn't stare and practically runs her baby out of the restaurant the moment they start to cry. I am mortified when my children act up in public. I just hate any kind of negative attention.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC