Narrow highback boosters

Lenae

I am taking a trip with my grandparents down the Oregon coast into California in a few months. We (2 grandparents, Colton, Sassy, and myself) will be in my grandpas 4 door Nissan Frontier. The kids went on a short trip today with them. I put Sassy FF in the Radian center and Colton in his ProBooster drivers side outboard. The ProBooster fit, but I had to slide the seat over, buckle, scooch it back toward the RXT, then tighten the belt. Not a big deal for a short trip, but when we are going to be in and out for a 5 day trip, scooching the booster is going to get old.

So, sorry for the novel. My question is, what boosters are more narrow than the ProBooster? Colton is a little guy, 44" and about 42 lbs, with a short torso, so just about any highback on the market will fit him. I think I remember reading the Harmony booster is narrow? I'd like to keep the cost down because we already have three high end boosters and DH will lose his mind if I spend another $100 on a booster for one trip.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Is there head support? Would a backless be okay for this trip? The Literider give a good belt fit on Gage in Dad's car.

Lenae

Is there head support? Would a backless be okay for this trip? The Literider give a good belt fit on Gage in Dad's car.

There is head support, but I would prefer not backless. Just a personal hang up. I'd rather do the booster scooch than go backless.

canadiangie

Boost Air tapers along the back and has fold-up armrests. It's $85 here, so I'm guessing well under $100 for you.

Or, could he snag the Radian for the trip and Sassy into the Pria? Might they puzzle together if she's ff? I haven't met Pria yet, so forgive me if that's a bonkers suggestion. :)

Lenae

Boost Air tapers along the back and has fold-up armrests. It's $85 here, so I'm guessing well under $100 for you.

Or, could he snag the Radian for the trip and Sassy into the Pria? Might they puzzle together if she's ff? I haven't met Pria yet, so forgive me if that's a bonkers suggestion. :)

This is my backup plan. If I can't find anything cheap that works, I'll put Colton in the Radian. It puzzles nicely with the Pria. I'll check out the Boost Air. Is the Pronto similar in size/shape? I assume it is less expensive than the Boost Air, though I don't mind something under $80.

canadiangie

This is my backup plan. If I can't find anything cheap that works, I'll put Colton in the Radian. It puzzles nicely with the Pria. I'll check out the Boost Air. Is the Pronto similar in size/shape? I assume it is less expensive than the Boost Air, though I don't mind something under $80.

Pronto is fairly narrow, yes. Not much for head support, though, and sometimes the belt guide orients the shoulder belt too far off kiddo's shoulder. Boost Air is a little different in that regard..

thekatie

I can stick a Boost Air next to both a Pria and a Radian tomorrow if you want. I think my back seat is smaller than a Frontier though.

Lenae

I can stick a Boost Air next to both a Pria and a Radian tomorrow if you want. I think my back seat is smaller than a Frontier though.

Smaller back seat than the Frontier is fine because then it should definitely fit in the Frontier. If you could try those out, that would be great. I would ideally like the convertible center, booster outboard, thanks!

msg221

I saw the Harmony at Target today and it is pretty narrow and it is on sale for $31.99 through April 19th.

thekatie

I did the Pria and Boost Air already. DH has my Radian so I can go to work and grab it if you want pictures today, or nab it tonight and do those pictures tomorrow. I meant to grab it a few days ago since I want to switch anyway, but never got around to it (& good thing since he had to take the boys into work while I was out anyway).

I have an '09 RX350 with scooped (bucket?) outboard seats. I don't know what the Frontier backseat is like or how it would compare. I've also never installed the Pria forward in the middle. It looks so weird to me...

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/...F-EEB9-47D9-9CC4-DB848A2BFFFA_zpsb5udjrfc.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/...2-7102-4E8E-81B2-DFBEAC21EF3F_zpss07seew0.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/...C-B0D2-4E76-A1E5-66CFD00B0A5F_zpsp2qmlhpi.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/...D-4799-4336-9ECA-117BDE4A67EA_zps7wbemkl6.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/...8-8802-4C23-8E0F-9C6951B9D374_zpsgimejdek.jpg

I just joined photobucket yesterday, and am not really familiar with it. If you click on the one link will you be able to see all the pictures (I took 5 of the seats)?

The seat portion of the Boost Air puzzles beautifully with the Pria, and even the back fits well under, but I had to put the headrest all the way up onto the top click for it to be over the Pria and puzzle, otherwise it gets pushed over and *looks* wrong. Plus, the Pria headrest is still under the shell, I think raising the Pria would make it even worse. Maybe it's okay, I'm totally not a tech or even super familiar with high back boosters. J1 had some pretty bad misuse and we're lucky he was never in a wreck, it was only after J2 was born I entered this world of car seats and proper usage...

ETA: okay, you can't go see all when I only link one picture, so I linked to all of them. Maybe. I really am going to need a tutorial :p Sorry it's on your post I'm finding out how hard all this is.

Lenae

Thank you! I think the Frontier backseat is a bit wider, but not by much. There is no way Colton would need the headrest of the Boost Air up that high, so I'm thinking it would not work well next to the Pria. I still have hope for the Radian though. Thanks again for taking the time to take the pictures.

thekatie

I'm sorry it took me until today to get the Radian pictures. Sunday I didn't even have time to swap the Pria back before running to get J1 from Sunday school, and then yesterday it was just yucky and raining and cold.

I think the Boost Air upper portion fits better against the Radian, but the seat part was scootched over a bit.

And it wasn't as easy to get a hand in to buckle.

Everything did fit, but not perfectly centered.

I hope these work, or I might need Keeyamah to really write that tutorial post. I think I definitely need to learn how to resize images...

Lenae

The pics are great, thanks! I am beginning to think the easiest way to so this might be to have Colton in the RXT and Sassy in the Pria. I think that may make for easier buckling all around. Thank you for taking the time to try the seats out for me.

thekatie

Do either of them fit rear facing in either of the seats? I bet both would work with the booster that way. I know the Pria does when it's outboard at least, I've done that in my car.

Lenae

Sassy is normally RF, but this is a sightseeing trip, so I was thinking it would be nice if she could actually see the sights, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC