RF car seat transition for small cars . . .

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I've mentioned in other posts that the only infant seat that fit in our car comfortably was the Aton. When we moved to a convertible, we went with the Nextfit.

I was out and about with my daughter today and, because she still fits and it was more convenient (or, at least I thought it would be) I took her out in the Aton 2 -- the base of which is still installed in our car.

Halfway through errands, I wanted to spring her from the infant seat and so I switched to the Nextfit. When we got home, I looked at the two seats nestled together in the back of our Impreza and thought to myself two things:

1. The next time I see these two seats together again will probably not be until we have a second child.

2. Holy moly, the Nextfit and the Aton take up the same amount of room!

I strongly recommend this combo to anyone who needs to maximize front-to-back space. We would not have been able to use the Nextfit from birth because Recline 1 takes up too much space. But Aton from birth and Nextfit thereafter was perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 142
ADS
That's awesome that the NextFit is so compact! I was imagining it to be much larger front-to-back. We don't have it up here yet :(

The pink on the Aton is ADORABLE.

Thanks for sharing!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am glad it was interesting! Sometimes I feel weird about posting non-question posts like this, but I figured "chat" was the appropriate place for such things...

SnoGurl

The nextfit has a raiseable (word?) headrest, right? (we don't have it in Canada, so i'm not that familiar with it). How does it fit with the headrest raised? I LOVE that purple colour-- it would be a top contender if it ever came to Canada (although the Canadian pricetag would likely make me keel over!).

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The nextfit has a raiseable (word?) headrest, right? (we don't have it in Canada, so i'm not that familiar with it). How does it fit with the headrest raised?

You can kind of see in the picture where the headrest is in the shell. And the angle kind of matches the headrest of our front seat. If you imagine extending it, it kind of runs parallel to the headrest, if that makes sense...I will see if I can get another picture with it raised.

SnoGurl

You can kind of see in the picture where the headrest is in the shell. And the angle kind of matches the headrest of our front seat. If you imagine extending it, it kind of runs parallel to the headrest, if that makes sense...I will see if I can get another picture with it raised.

That's what I imagined would happen, thanks for confirming it! It looks like it would work quite well in my mom's car, where I would want it to go.

cookie123

Beautiful! Colors and fit! I hope your next baby is a girl lol! I don't know why, I always end up buying gender neutral seats. I guess I like them best with my car interior, or maybe they're usually the best deal. Thanks for sharing.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Beautiful! Colors and fit! I hope your next baby is a girl lol! I don't know why, I always end up buying gender neutral seats. I guess I like them best with my car interior, or maybe they're usually the best deal. Thanks for sharing.

We had actually bought a gender-neutral (brown) Aton originally. But after we got into a crash with that seat and it needed to be replaced ASAP, the only color that was available at the time was the pink one. When we would go out and about with it on the stroller, though, people still would ask if she's a boy. :confused: I figure I should just keep buying the colors I like until I have a kid who objects.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, here's the two of them again, but with the headrest in the top position. I tried to get the shot to be more directly from the side so you could see how it works with our headrest and I also moved the handle on the Aton 2 into "drive" position since that's how it would normally be. I did not move the front seat positions at all, though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 69

SavsMom

Thanks for posting.
It's great to know what seats will work well in my car when ds reaches that point.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I am glad it was interesting! Sometimes I feel weird about posting non-question posts like this, but I figured "chat" was the appropriate place for such things...

This is exactly the kind of stuff appropriate for chat. Carry on!

cookie123

We had actually bought a gender-neutral (brown) Aton originally. But after we got into a crash with that seat and it needed to be replaced ASAP, the only color that was available at the time was the pink one. When we would go out and about with it on the stroller, though, people still would ask if she's a boy. :confused: I figure I should just keep buying the colors I like until I have a kid who objects.

Maybe you saved the brown cover?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Nope. :-( I didn't know you could do that. At the time I assumed that since you can't use the seat without the cover, a "crashed cover" was somehow unsafe too. I think I read on here shortly afterwards that you could re-use a crashed cover and I got all excited and asked my husband if he had already "destroyed" the seat. He had already carted it off to be disposed.

All we have left is a single harness strap cover as a memento of her first "baby seat." :(

tesslouise

We have the same purple NextFit. May I ask what number recline yours is on? My DH installed ours and it's on 1 and I'd like the baby more upright but DH says it won't work... (Obviously I need to try it myself...)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We have the same purple NextFit. May I ask what number recline yours is on? My DH installed ours and it's on 1 and I'd like the baby more upright but DH says it won't work... (Obviously I need to try it myself...)

Ours is on Recline 2.

It depends on the age of your baby. Younger babies usually need the seat to be on Recline 1 in order to be reclined enough. Once the baby is older and can sit up more comfortably, then they can be more upright. If the baby in question is the one born in 2012 in your signature line, then you should be fine.

In our car, Recline 2 and Recline 1 are the only two that keep the bubble within the RF hashmarks. Recline 1 is too reclined for our car, so it's good that we had the Aton to start out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC