Car seats for airplane and cancun

U

Unregistered

What cheap car seat options are there to use on an airplane and for travel in cancun?
Seats we have currently are safety first infant seat, scenera, my ride, and evenflo maestro
Currently using them are 6 month old, 2 year old and 5 year old. My ride is a spare not currently used. Kids will be 6 months older when we travel. I thought about the cares harness for 5 yr old and a low back booster for ground trans. Just to lighten our load a bit. It will be my husband and I lugging kids,bags, and car seats.

Travel agent is not supportive and thinks they are unnecessary.

ADS

cantabdad

The Maestro and Scenera are often cited as good travel seats, so you're ahead of the game there. I'd probably stick with the infant seat for the baby (if he/she still fits at time of travel) just for the convenience of carrying that way and/or clicking into a stroller.

I've heard that Cancun can be difficult because many of the taxis don't have seatbelts -- though some do if you are persistent. Do you know whether you are getting a bus from your resort or a taxi? Or your own rental car?

On the plane, a 5-year-old over 40 lb (18 kg) would typically be OK in the regular lap belt. You have time to get him/her "booster trained" and if all goes well, then yes, a low back booster would lighten your load. (We used one with our daughter when she was only 4 for a short taxi ride in France and she was a champ about staying seated correctly.)

By the way, which airline is this?

U

Unregistered

I don't know the airline, but we would have a private transfer from airport to resort not a taxi or bus.

cantabdad

"Private transfer" meaning someone is coming to pick you up? Or you're getting your own rental car and driving?

Without more info on your arrangements, my best guess would be that you're best offing bringing:
- The infant seat for the baby (if he/she still fits at time of travel, of course)
- A lightweight convertible seat for the 2-year-old such as the Scenera or Maestro
- A low-back booster for the oldest. (Boosters can't be used on the aircraft, but he/she should be fine in the regular seatbelt if over 40 lbs. or so; the booster can be a carry-on item and stowed in the bin.)

Of course, if this is on a foreign airline that doesn't allow (or severely restricts) carseats, then we're on to Plan B.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC