Need new seats for myself, just became a tech and looking for advice on purchases

ebp913

So I just got my tech certification last week, YAY! Anyways, we need 2 new seats for our spare car (or other cars depending on what I move around). I'm sort of debating on trying some new things that I think people in my area might have so that I can be more experienced with installations in the future. Contemplating a Nextfit and a Foonf but also realizing that price wise... they are super expensive. Am I being crazy to try and justify these new seats?

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The most common seats in my area are Chicco (Keyfits) and Britaxes (all kinds). Nearly every seat I see someone bucking a kid into or pushing on a stroller is one of these. There are others, but these are the most common. I also see some Gracos and Baby Trends and Evenflos.

I have only ever seen a Nextfit (besides my own) once in my city. I have never seen a Foonf except on display at Buy Buy Baby.

Here's my advice: buy the seats you want and would normally buy, read online manuals for any that you expect to encounter in your area, and figure there will be more experienced techs at any event to help check your work if you are uncertain. I wouldn't buy a seat that's out of your price range. And I don't know about Foonfs, but nextfits are extremely easy to install, so you won't need much time to play with them anyway.

YinzerMama

I have deep, passionate feelings for the nextfit and think everyone should have one. :D

Not a fan of the foonf. Too expensive, too heavy, and my kids said too hard.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I adore the sureride for a spare. But I like the install on the nextfit in tricky spots for sure. Some good sales on it right now...

ebp913

Where might I ask would I find this on sale?

I picked up a Nextfit at Target yesterday for $148 pre tax... they weren't really supposed to sell it to me at this price but I kinda begged to use 3 coupons on it. For the price, I couldn't say no. Heck my Guide 65 was $100! You can still get it for $196 at Target in store with coupons printed from their website.

Age, weight, height for all kids and what vehicle? What seats do you currently own?

My kids are 2.5 (35 inches and 28 lbs), 14 months (maybe 30 inches and maybe 20 lbs, he's tiny) and we'll have a newborn in August. I want all 3 to stay rear facing for a year or so after the newbie comes. My goal is age 4.

Cars - we have a '13 Expedition EL, '09 GMC Sierra (with a very tall husband), and '98 Cadillac DeVille. I currently have our seats in the Sierra and Expedition but we want to put 2 seats (3 soon) in the DeVille also so I can get new ones just for that or move things around from car to car.

Car seats - Have 2 Coccoros, a Peg convertible, Guide 65 and a Keyfit with 2 bases. Just bought a Nextfit yesterday for a steal. Not particularly interested in getting any Britax seats myself. Just not a huge fan personally but I know like everyone here has them.

My thoughts are to move 1 Coccoro and the Guide to the DeVille and see if I can get the Keyfit in there too. If so, great, done with that car. I can basically get anything 3 across in the Expedition so that's kind of a non issue.

We don't really have a set budget and I love to try new seats. Ease of use is really the most important thing to me. I really don't like the ratcheting harness on the Radian and smooth pull harnesses are really important to me. I'd happily buy another Peg in a heartbeat but just thinking out loud about some other options.

A local baby store here actually carries the Foonf and I imagine that if I do checks with friends, etc they might have one from the store. I also want to try and do an information session(s) at the store for parents on car seat safety in the future and if I buy a Foonf from them, that kind of bodes well for me. I can also buy the Foonf at a discount from them too so it won't be $400. I could probably pay about $470 pretax for a Foonf and Nextfit which doesn't seem too bad per seat.

Thoughts? I know my hardest 3 across will likely be the Cadillac so I'm sure I just need to get out and try some things to see what works.

aporthole

Even with the ratcheting harness, a Radian would be a great choice too. I have encountered a few families where a Radian was really the only logical option and it would have been great to have one to show them and let them demo in their vehicle to see why it is so unique. Especially for friends I often end up having them come over to play with my own seats since there is nowhere local to test seats. We have Walmart and Target 30 minutes away and the nearest Babies R Us is well over an hour away.

ebp913

Even with the ratcheting harness, a Radian would be a great choice too. I have encountered a few families where a Radian was really the only logical option and it would have been great to have one to show them and let them demo in their vehicle to see why it is so unique. Especially for friends I often end up having them come over to play with my own seats since there is nowhere local to test seats. We have Walmart and Target 30 minutes away and the nearest Babies R Us is well over an hour away.

That's a good point. Hmm... next seat is likely a Radian or Foonf. We'll see.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC