Question Anyone completely exchanged Graco seats with recalled buckles?

roller99

A friend on another online forum said that her Target let her completely exchange her Graco seats with recalled buckles for brand new seats. They didn't even make her get the same seat, she exchanged two Graco's for two Britax Pioneer 70s! Hadn't seen anybody mention this as an option, so I'm wondering if its just her particular store. I have 3 Graco's with the recalled buckles though, and exchanging would be a lot easier than waiting for the new buckles.

ADS

Lenae

I sincerely doubt any store is going to let you exchange your seats. Unless they are brand new, still in packaging.

Brianna

No, target will give money towards a new seat if you bring in a recalled seat. It seems wrong to me, and I couldn't do it with good conscious, but they allow it...

msg221

Re: Anyone completely exchanged Graco sears with recalled buckles?

I have read about others exchanging their seats at BRU. I can't believe that she was able to exchange them for Britax seats given the price difference.

I just wouldn't feel right exchanging my seats for brand new seats when the new buckle is an easy fix and especially if there were no problems with the old buckle. We did have occasional problems unbuckling the one on our Argos, but it wasn't all the time. I know it wasn't because there was anything stuck in them because I only allow the kids to have water to drink in my car and they don't get to eat in my car either.

MommyShannon

A friend had a MyRide that did have buckle problems. It was almost 5 years old and BRU gave her almost $150 store credit she could use on anything.

roller99

I thought it sounded almost too good to be true. Guess it really depends on the particular store. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

YinzerMama

What exactly is the hardship in waiting for new buckles?

I do not own a harnessed graco seat at the moment. I avoided graco seats while these buckles were in use because they are hard to use when working properly. It was a horrible design from the getgo. However, the number of people who have had legitimate safety issues - stuck buckles that went beyond that - compared to the number of people who have graco seats overall, is not that big.

Personally, if I owned a Graco seat, and liked it otherwise, and was not having an immediate problem with the buckle, I would not expect a major retailer to take a hit on it and replace the seat. And if the buckle was not showing immediate signs of declining function, I would be fine using it.

I think that whenever there is a recall, there can be much more hysteria regarding the product at hand than is warranted. Yes there are safety concerns. Yes one toddler died as a result of the buckle not opening. But the chances of you being in a firey crash and your buckle refusing to open during the time period prior to your buckles arriving is very, very, very small.

More specifically related to the question, I did purchase graco boosters recently, and received an email from Target informing me about the recall and telling me to check the graco web site (even though obviously my seats were not affected). It makes no mention of returning the seats to Target, it says to contact Graco. I would think that since Graco is dealing with the problem and fix is simple - mailing out a new harness - it makes little sense for a retailer to take back a seat, unless it was purchased recently enough that it would be done as a normal return.

I would not be surprised if SOME retailers are offering to refund for the entire seat, but I would not expect it to be the norm, nor is it something I would personally pursue at this point.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I did take our MR back to Target bit it had only been used sparingly (it was so cold this year we kept using the the KF) and DS was outgrowing the KF. I was aggravated with Graco not having sent out any buckles yet, this seas several weeks ago. And I needed a usable convertible seat. I had noticed it was sticky so I just took it back. They were very nice, gave me store credit and I got an internet returned Nextfit for $195. I wouldn't have taken it back if we had used it much. I'm guessing he ride in it no more than 5or 6 times. FWIW Targets store policy is to take back any recalled item.

Mom2natalie

FWIW Targets store policy is to take back any recalled item.

Do you have to prove you got it at Target? I'm also getting annoyed that I've not received a replacement buckle yet. I've seen folks on here already getting buckles for seats that haven't been recalled yet!?

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Do you have to prove you got it at Target? I'm also getting annoyed that I've not received a replacement buckle yet. I've seen folks on here already getting buckles for seats that haven't been recalled yet!?

They didn't ask me for a thing. I didn't have a receipt or a box. Look it up on their website. I think it says that it isn't required since its a recall. But you only get store credit. I had to speak with a manager but they didn't give me any problems outside I'd the generally unhelpful girl I woke to first, but she didn't know what she was doing. :/

Mom2natalie

Right now you can print a 20% off infant item coupon. Then do Cartwheel for an additional 10% off. I got the high back Turbobooster for $32.40.

sm1982

I called BRU and they told me I'd get the lowest sale price in merchandise credit and it would have to be applied to another car seat. I don't mind having to apply it to a seat, but I hope the lowest price is at least close to what I paid (if I decide to return it). My seat was bought at BRU (exclusive cover) so I wouldn't ok returning it to Target.

DMS721

BRU and BBB are great about taking back recalled items no matter how old it is. I returned my 4 yr old angel care baby monitor to BRU when it was recalled no questions asked. I also returned my nap nanny when it was recalled.

Baylor

q: if I purchased a recalled product from Target Stores or Target.com, can I return the product to the store and receive a refund or store credit?
A: Guests who wish to return recalled product to a Target Store or through Target.com will be accommodated with a refund. A receipt or proof of purchase is not necessary to return a recalled product. There may be some exceptions to this policy.

From target site..

Mom2natalie

Where did you print off the 20% off coupon? I might just get the Turbo with Safe Surround.

I got it on Target's site. I used it AND the 10% off Graco Cartwheel on Target's site. The Safety Surround is on sale for $70, so with both coupons I got it for $50.40.

Of course my daughter has decided she likes the regular TB better than SS. :rolleyes:

I'm keeping both seats, one for each vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC