hbb vs. nbb for younger booster riders

D&L's-mommy

can we discuss pros and cons of hbb vs. nbb for a younger booster rider (say 5-7 years old) that has proper belt fut in either? I know that a hbb can act as a physical reminder of where to sit, and provides support to a sleeping child. But, Ive read that studies do not show a significant increase in safety for children who are in a hbb vs. nbb. Ive also read that in cars with rear airbags they provide an appropriate amount of sip. Another thing Ive seen discussed is about forward tilting headrests causing compatibility issues with hbbs. Ive heard of some parents using a nbb for a child of this age to use as an everyday seat, and an hbb for long car trips. this question is purely hypothetical

ADS

VoodooChile

My own young booster rider has a hbb, and definitely needs that back as a reminder of where to sit. We had a situation where he had to sit in one of our lbb for a short drive one day (long story) and I had to remind him several times not to lean all over the place (which I don't need to do when he's in his Kiddy). This may not be an issue for all kids, but it is for mine right now!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have the problem with forward headrests, so that hasn't factored for me personally. I find my kids shoulders are little narrow for a backless before about age 6, but so so so much depends on the belt geometry... I can't even use 'tall' backless boosters in any of my cars for my kids or their shoulders are immediately too high for my low-anchored belts (so no comfy Santa Fe or Harmony Olympian at any age, not even an AMP works! Whereas it might be perfect in a car with higher-mounted shoulderbelts, I wish we had a way to measure that to help people figure it all out, but thank god for the Top Side and Incognito, they are about the only things that work).
On the plus side, I learned with my daycare kid in his mom's boyfriend's car, that he was safe in a backless at 4 in a moderate T-bone crash...so purely anecdotal, but he's 6 and still in a highback in MY car.

Anyway, you hit the nails on the heads with all your points... curtain airbags offer safety, headrests can be a HBB killer, maturity, sleeping, belt geometry, all play into it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I am perfectly comfortable using whatever booster provides the best fit for the car and the child, and will be used consistently and correctly.

I think highback boosters, IF THEY FIT, are easier to use consistently and correctly. But there are zillions of exceptions to that rule.

I don't like using the little belt positioner on a strap. I am not really convinced that it's as safe as a rigid belt guide in a HBB, and it's a PITA to use. So if a child doesn't get a good fit in a backless without the little clip, I would go to pretty great lengths to find a highback that worked instead.

Mom2natalie

I don't like using the little belt positioner on a strap. I am not really convinced that it's as safe as a rigid belt guide in a HBB, and it's a PITA to use. So if a child doesn't get a good fit in a backless without the little clip, I would go to pretty great lengths to find a highback that worked instead.

This is me. My daughter loves her backless Tubobooster, but I hate having to mess with that stupid thing. The clip on her backless Harmony booster is even harder to use!

We have a 2012 Ford Focus with the side curtain airbags. I'm not sure we *need* a HBB, but that's what we're getting.

You can try a high back Turbobooster. They're not expensive, and convert to a backless booster. My daughter sat in a Tubobooster with Safety Surround at Target and LOVED it. But even without SS the Turbobooster is a great seat and they're easy to find in stores, not expensive, and seem to fit kids well.

HappyHoo

I didn't want to deal with the positioning clip so I never tried dd in a lbb until I felt she wouldn't need it - it has made things easier preschool carpool wise for getting extra kid to third row - so I kind of wish I had tried it earlier (6 1/2 v 7 1/2).

I still am glad to have a hbb though for long trips. Dd doesn't sleep well without the back. And it does help keep her from leaning more and the shoulder belt getting too close to the edge of her shoulders sometimes although that will get better as she gets bigger.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC