Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Diono Radian Question

I'm in need of a good seat to take on a flight, use for my 4 year old temporarily and then use RFing for my 20 month old. I think the Radian is probably my best bet. However, online vendors which will ship to my overseas military address are all out of stock. Is there something going on with Diono? Is there another seat which might meet my needs equally well? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

They're great seats but they are VERY heavy. I prefer that feature in a crash but I hate moving them even from one car to another bc of the weight. I wouldn't want to lug it thru the airport... I'd possibly look into the sureride for longevity and it being lightweight to carry around. It is an often recommended seat on this board now...
    Soph- 9-10-10 riding in radians RXT, XTSL, and 65SL
    John- 5-03-13 our angel...
    Rucker- 10-14-14 riding in a coccoro & snugride
    (Poor guy- took me over a month to add his info!)

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: Diono Radian Question

I've flown with a Radian lots of times, and sometimes two at once. IF you get a rolling luggage cart, or have some other means of rolling it through the airport, it's a SUPER option for traveling if you're forward-facing on the plane - low enough to use the tray table, slim, fits nicely on the airplane seat and doesn't impede into the seat next to it anywhere. I've never rear-faced it, nor would I be keen to try.

There are other American options that could work well too but I'll let someone else chime in with those, lest my Canadian show through
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

Thanks for the replies. Is the Sureride as narrow as the Radian? Is it good for long term use?

We are moving back to the States from overseas so I'm planning to use whatever car seat we buy initially for my 4 year old daughter, then long term for my 20 month old son, who I'd like to rear face for as long as possible. (We have a Cosco Scenera which we'll use on the flight/ride to/from the airport for my son). Is the Sureride a good seat for everyday use? Will it get a child with a long torso to at least 3 years rear facing? Is the harness height even sufficient for my 4 year old wearing size 5/5T shirts?

Thanks.

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by kld182 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Is the Sureride as narrow as the Radian? Is it good for long term use? We are moving back to the States from overseas so I'm planning to use whatever car seat we buy initially for my 4 year old daughter, then long term for my 20 month old son, who I'd like to rear face for as long as possible. (We have a Cosco Scenera which we'll use on the flight/ride to/from the airport for my son). Is the Sureride a good seat for everyday use? Will it get a child with a long torso to at least 3 years rear facing? Is the harness height even sufficient for my 4 year old wearing size 5/5T shirts? Thanks.
    So I know this has gotten a little "old" but the Sureride RF's to 40lbs and/or 40", which would get my 90-95% kiddos to about 2.5. My 4.5 yr old, 44", 48lbs, size 5 shirts (outgrowing them, but 6's are still a little big) with room to spare. He is on the 5th (second to top) slot, so has years left in the harness. It's not quite as narrow as the Radian and the sides are deeper, so not quite as easy to get kids in and out of, but still not bad. HTH some .

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

Keeyamah, thanks for your reply! It's actually very helpful. I ordered a Radian but just learned it might not get here in time as it's coming by boat. :-/ So, I may need a substitute and it sounds like the Sureride is a really good contender. Does anyone know if it will fit on an airplane seat?

Carseat Crazy
    It should, the widest spot is about 18-19", but that's at the shoulders, if I'm remembering right. You won't be able to use the tray table, if it's FFing, because the sides are deeper than the Radians.

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's