Diono Radian Question

kld182

I'm in need of a good seat to take on a flight, use for my 4 year old temporarily and then use RFing for my 20 month old. I think the Radian is probably my best bet. However, online vendors which will ship to my overseas military address are all out of stock. Is there something going on with Diono? Is there another seat which might meet my needs equally well? Thanks.

ADS

soph's mom

They're great seats but they are VERY heavy. I prefer that feature in a crash but I hate moving them even from one car to another bc of the weight. I wouldn't want to lug it thru the airport... I'd possibly look into the sureride for longevity and it being lightweight to carry around. It is an often recommended seat on this board now...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've flown with a Radian lots of times, and sometimes two at once. IF you get a rolling luggage cart, or have some other means of rolling it through the airport, it's a SUPER option for traveling if you're forward-facing on the plane - low enough to use the tray table, slim, fits nicely on the airplane seat and doesn't impede into the seat next to it anywhere. I've never rear-faced it, nor would I be keen to try.

There are other American options that could work well too but I'll let someone else chime in with those, lest my Canadian show through :)

kld182

Thanks for the replies. Is the Sureride as narrow as the Radian? Is it good for long term use?

We are moving back to the States from overseas so I'm planning to use whatever car seat we buy initially for my 4 year old daughter, then long term for my 20 month old son, who I'd like to rear face for as long as possible. (We have a Cosco Scenera which we'll use on the flight/ride to/from the airport for my son). Is the Sureride a good seat for everyday use? Will it get a child with a long torso to at least 3 years rear facing? Is the harness height even sufficient for my 4 year old wearing size 5/5T shirts?

Thanks.

Keeyamah

Thanks for the replies. Is the Sureride as narrow as the Radian? Is it good for long term use? We are moving back to the States from overseas so I'm planning to use whatever car seat we buy initially for my 4 year old daughter, then long term for my 20 month old son, who I'd like to rear face for as long as possible. (We have a Cosco Scenera which we'll use on the flight/ride to/from the airport for my son). Is the Sureride a good seat for everyday use? Will it get a child with a long torso to at least 3 years rear facing? Is the harness height even sufficient for my 4 year old wearing size 5/5T shirts? Thanks.

So I know this has gotten a little "old" but the Sureride RF's to 40lbs and/or 40", which would get my 90-95% kiddos to about 2.5. My 4.5 yr old, 44", 48lbs, size 5 shirts (outgrowing them, but 6's are still a little big) with room to spare. He is on the 5th (second to top) slot, so has years left in the harness. It's not quite as narrow as the Radian and the sides are deeper, so not quite as easy to get kids in and out of, but still not bad. HTH some :).

kld182

Keeyamah, thanks for your reply! It's actually very helpful. I ordered a Radian but just learned it might not get here in time as it's coming by boat. :-/ So, I may need a substitute and it sounds like the Sureride is a really good contender. Does anyone know if it will fit on an airplane seat?

Keeyamah

It should, the widest spot is about 18-19", but that's at the shoulders, if I'm remembering right. You won't be able to use the tray table, if it's FFing, because the sides are deeper than the Radians. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC