anything good about peg perego 30/30???

davina_21

just wondering if anyone has anything good to say about the Peg and any reasons they actually like it.

I am deciding between Graco snugride classic connect 35 and the Peg 30/30. I want to get the peg for various reasons including:

- anti rebound handle position which i can use since I am in Canada
- no rethread harness (convenience)
- SIP wings (i know it's not necessary, i just think it might help with head rolling)
- much better colours (my last concern of course)

There is really nothing I like better about the Graco other than the fact that everyone else seems to like it/it's easier to install and everyone seems so against the Peg. But the problems with the Peg seem to just be about the install. Of course, that's the important part.

If there is anyone out there with positive things to say about the Peg I would appreciate it. If there is nothing good about it, so be it.

In case it matters, this will install in a Mazda 5 middle row captain chair and passenger side Kia Optima.

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The fabrics are nice :eek:

The lowest harness position isn't that low, so it won't reliably fit small newborns. The head wings sometimes seem to push a baby's head forward, and that's obviously not super. The carrier is really heavy.

Is your decision between those two only? I'm presuming your budget isn't small if you've got the Peg on your list. I really really like the Chicco KeyFit and they now have a 30, so you get the same 30lbs/30" limits as on the Peg. It's lovely to install and use and comes in some nice colours. Strollers are usually compatible with it too.

gagenivy

My preemie fit very well in her Peg:) I really liked how the head wings kept her from being so floppy. The weight was a draw back but I wore her a lot.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That Graco seat has added bolsters to the side foot area for ARB in Canada. And the handle stays up now. The bolsters and the handle are the ARB technique for that seat. The Peg and it have to meet the same ARB requirements.

Chila88

I have used both a Peg and a SR35 with my kids, and the 32" height limit is what will always make me choose the SR35 for personal use. I have long babies and 30" just doesn't give me the length of use that I want from an infant bucket. Not everyone needs a 32" limit, but If you and or DH are tall, that is something to take into consideration.

The Britax BReady would be my 2nd choice because it also a 32" limit.

That said, if length wasn't an issue, I think id choose a Keyfit over a Peg any day. The install is so wonderful.

As for floppiness, the infant insert in the Sr35 is full body, and offers really great support for a newborn. I didn't find my kids floppy at all in that seat.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Britax BReady would be my 2nd choice because it also a 32" limit.

That said, if length wasn't an issue, I think id choose a Keyfit over a Peg any day. The install is so wonderful.

Did you mean the BSafe? Or the Chaperone? I think the BReady is a stroller.

I also would recommend the Keyfit, but I don't think they're in Canada? Am I wrong?

SnoGurl

Did you mean the BSafe? Or the Chaperone? I think the BReady is a stroller.

I also would recommend the Keyfit, but I don't think they're on Canada? Am I wrong?

The keyfit22 has been in Canada a while, and the 30 just came recently. The 30 seems really nice!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The keyfit22 has been in Canada a while, and the 30 just came recently. The 30 seems really nice!

Thanks! I had been looking this up recently and everything I found said it wasn't available there yet. Must have been older info. Awesome!

canadiangie

My preemie fit very well in her Peg:) I really liked how the head wings kept her from being so floppy. The weight was a draw back but I wore her a lot.

Do you happen to have a picture of this? What was her weight? I put 6 pound twins into Pegs the other day and the fit was questionable at best. After a crotch roll and two receiving blankets added head-to-hip they were supported, but their shoulders were just barely skimming the bottom harness position. Barely. My comfort with the current Peg seat is for babies over 7 pounds. But I would love to see your baby in her seat.

davina_21

Thanks for your comments.

I am looking specifically at these two seats because they are the only ones that fit my stroller (from a previous child). I think my DH might go bonkers if I even suggest a new one (it cost a fortune and to be fair, I do still love it).

I just went to BRU to check them out side by side (they are having a 20% sale on Graco right now if any one is looking).

I want to like the Graco. I just can't. It doesn't seem like there is any side impact protection (although they say there is). It seems very flat at the top and it seems like an infant's head would be far away from the sides. The SR30 actually seemed to have a deeper shell. There isn't as much eps foam in the seat part as the Peg either. The fabric is rough.

another poster mentioned you could put the graco handle in the upright (carrying) position so i tested out the handle positions on both. Peg's handle as ARB seems much better to me (definitely closer to the seat back than the Graco). i'm not an expert but it looks more like the ARB you see on the base of some other seats.

If I had a different stroller I would definitely take the Keyfit 30 (It was actually at BRU, by the way). I really liked it.

I'm going to mull it over some more - I have time. I promise, I won't post about this again! ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Again, the Graco also has added bolsters that prevent rebound. The handle is a secondary thing really. The Peg has a different shape and so they are using the handle in a mower position instead. Again, both seats meet the same standard for rebound.

canadiangie

Thanks for your comments.

I am looking specifically at these two seats because they are the only ones that fit my stroller (from a previous child). I think my DH might go bonkers if I even suggest a new one (it cost a fortune and to be fair, I do still love it).

I just went to BRU to check them out side by side (they are having a 20% sale on Graco right now if any one is looking).

I want to like the Graco. I just can't. It doesn't seem like there is any side impact protection (although they say there is). It seems very flat at the top and it seems like an infant's head would be far away from the sides. The SR30 actually seemed to have a deeper shell. There isn't as much eps foam in the seat part as the Peg either. The fabric is rough.

another poster mentioned you could put the graco handle in the upright (carrying) position so i tested out the handle positions on both. Peg's handle as ARB seems much better to me (definitely closer to the seat back than the Graco). i'm not an expert but it looks more like the ARB you see on the base of some other seats.

If I had a different stroller I would definitely take the Keyfit 30 (It was actually at BRU, by the way). I really liked it.

I'm going to mull it over some more - I have time. I promise, I won't post about this again! ;)

You must put post 2012 Graco infant seat handles in position A (carrying position) while driving. It is not optional. The handle being in position A in addition to the bolsters added to the front edge of the seat are part of the rebound management system the seat offers.

Each manufacturer must meet Canada's rebound standard, and the Peg seat requires that the handle be very close to the seatback to meet this.

Interestingly, up until recently the Peg infant seat in Canada offered no eps foam along the headwings. It was fabric over plastic. The eps foam lined the shell only. Graco has offered an eps lined shell since the SafeSeat debuted in around 2006. Who knows what is safer, but just a fun fact there.

Rear facing seats are inherently protective in a side impact crash because of how the seat behaves in a crash. I have a personal preference for eps foam in some capacity, but headwings on an infant seat don't really come into play for me -- not something that would sway me either way.

Whichever seat you choose, just make sure you install and use it correctly.

If you go with the Peg you will want to recline the base to the enth degree of green. This will ensure your baby's head stays back. You will want to have a crotch roll ready, and most likely two rolled receiving blankets to fill the gap between the baby's head and headwings. Aside from that, assuming correct it, it's fine. If you like it, go for it. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've put preemies in pegs successfully too. Peg isn't strict on shoulders being even with the bottom slots like Graco is and the harness gets really tight. Needing a crotch roll or side supports really isn't a reason to say it doesn't fit.

I personally, other than the base install love the Peg. I'm a big fan of smooth harness adjusters and wide buckle tongue slots and the peg has both. The stellar customer service I've always gotten from the company makes me want to buy their product too.

canadiangie

Oh and OP, since it sounds like you're leaning towards Peg, the bum cushion you see in the seat is optional. Using it tends to force the crotch buckle even further from the baby's body, meaning you need a really big, sort of square/flat crotch roll to fill the gap. Once you remove the bum cushion, baby sits at a different angle, and yes you still need a crotch roll but its a more of a roll and less of a flat square.

Mainly what I'm saying is the thick bum cushion is optional just in case you find it odd. Many of my families seem perplexed by it, and/or they come to me not using a crotch roll at all, with baby curled into a C position, and wondering why. I recall Trudy mentioning the same thing in a post when the bum cushion edition seats debuted. I believe she created an entire thread about fit on these seats.

canadiangie

I've put preemies in pegs successfully too. Peg isn't strict on shoulders being even with the bottom slots like Graco is and the harness gets really tight. Needing a crotch roll or side supports really isn't a reason to say it doesn't fit.

I personally, other than the base install love the Peg. I'm a big fan of smooth harness adjusters and wide buckle tongue slots and the peg has both. The stellar customer service I've always gotten from the company makes me want to buy their product too.

Page 34 of the manual says that the correct position is when the shoulder strap slot is located just below the shoulder, as shown. Exact words..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC