New Radian RFing Limit

tl01

I was thinking about how great it is that the seat can now RF up to 35 lbs. As everyone was posting, it would be even better if it could RF to 40 lbs. At what point does a seat like the Radian have to be redesigned to hold a child who is that old and RFing? I fully understand that there is no danger to DS's legs when they are scrunched up while RFing; however, at some point won't legs become an issue. I know the Swedish seats have a different design to accomodate bigger kids. DS is 93rd percentile for height right now so I'm wondering how a seat like the Radian would fit him at 40 lbs.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm all for extended RFing... which is why we bought a Como for the 2 extra lbs... I'm just wondering.:)

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
I think with that exta few lbs, they start worrying about overrotation of the seat in an accident.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
With the lack of sides on that seat it is so incredibly easy for kids to hang their legs over the side of the seat. That would be the last seat I'd be worried about having a RFing child in.

That said, there is no way I can see my 5.5 year old 45" tall child (35lbs) riding RFing in the Radian.

tl01

Okay.. perhaps I should have worded it as.. it passed the 35 lbs RFing test. My point is that I'm wondering how "big" of a child a seat could handle without being redesigned to handle a child's leg growth.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I think the better question is how tall... 35lbs children come in all ages/heights, from 12 months all the way up to 5 years old. :eek:

Mikkel is right at my limit for keeping him rearfacing with legs hanging over all the time. He is 37" tall. I'd guess close to 40" as a maximum before I'd like to see a redesign to accommodate more leg room.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Okay.. perhaps I should have worded it as.. it passed the 35 lbs RFing test. My point is that I'm wondering how "big" of a child a seat could handle without being redesigned to handle a child's leg growth.

oops sorry lol.

Hmmm, verrry interesting! (Said in my best Frankenstien-- that's "shteeen"-- voice...)

Must keep UTD on this new and fascinating info!! :D

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Too bad most toddlers hate being reclined so much. I wish the Radian didn't "require" the rear facing boot. I can't imagine my 2 year old riding rear facing in a radian at a 45 degree angle!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Too bad most toddlers hate being reclined so much. I wish the Radian didn't "require" the rear facing boot. I can't imagine my 2 year old riding rear facing in a radian at a 45 degree angle!

It really depends on the vehicle seat is going on. My '03 Grand Caravan captain's chair puts the Radian at a 28 degree angle RFing. I actually tighten up the tether a smidge to bring it down to 30 degrees! :) The majority of vehicle seats out there are not flat... I think it would be difficult to get the 45 degree angle with most vehicle seats.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
With the lack of sides on that seat it is so incredibly easy for kids to hang their legs over the side of the seat. That would be the last seat I'd be worried about having a RFing child in.

That said, there is no way I can see my 5.5 year old 45" tall child (35lbs) riding RFing in the Radian.

1024886238_c9321f8bf6.jpg

Five years one week, 32 pounds, 41". She fit beautifully. :)

Wendy

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/133/413178536_aea4680d39.jpg?v=0

That's Aiden just before he turned 5 years old. He was 36.5lbs (he's lost some weight - currently 35lbs, 45") and 44" tall.

Technically he fit, I just don't see it being an easy thing to do to get him in/out every day. Especially in winter, when he would definitely be getting snow/mud all over the seat he needs to sit in.

He might be more comfortable on long trips, where shoes are not on and he would be able to sleep better, but at 5.5 years old, I know he would complain about not being able to see the DVD player. :rolleyes:

There is also no way he can sit anyway but cross legged... there wasn't enough room to stretch his legs out in front of him... which is why I guessed somewhere in between the boys heights of 40" for being a comfortable limit for RFing in this seat.

I'm also not comfortable with his legs hanging that much over the sides. At his age, I am not anywhere near as concerned of a spinal/head injury in a FFing harnessed seat, so I think in his case, the risks outweigh the benefits. Even cross legged, you can see his knees hang way over the edge of the seat.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter

It doesn't rear face to 45 degrees in my 200 Ford Winstar or my 98 Dodge 2500. I use it for a girl that will be 3 next week.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC