Question Booster that's narrow outside at rear/buckle?

Athena

We're having problems with our SGL in an 09 Forester. The buckles are so recessed and against the booster, making it really hard to buckle. If it were a fraction of an inch narrower, it might be okay. In addition, I'm looking at possibly getting a new car and when I tried our Fr85 (booster mode), I found a lot of them seem to have the same problem, so I got to wondering what boosters might be narrower in that rear area, next to the buckle, allowing easier buckling. It needs to be tall, latches, and includes a cup holder. Anything? What about the 2013 SGL? I'd have to order one to see one in person, but if I knew it's better in this way, we could buy one and sell our 2012. Thanks!!!!

ADS

xursusmaritimusx

I have that same problem in my car. I went with the kiddy cruiserfix pro. it latches but theres no cup holder. also just an FYI, it doesnt work well next to other FF car seats or people riding in the car due to the design of the side wings/supports. they get wider as the child gets taller.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Maybe the Clek Oobr? All but the Drift pattern come with a cup holder, but you can also buy it separately if you go with Drift.

Lemonade

Having a similar issue. The First Years 570 (pathway) is narrow but the way it's even narrower on the lowest part means it's impossible for kids to find low buckles. Skip it.
The SGL ('12) latched with the buckle stuck outside the base is what works best for now for us.

The evenflo boosters are really narrow. You might want to check them out. None of them latch if that's important to you.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You're lucky my current fave is out of stock... you'll think I'm joking... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Pro...gMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems Seriously, though, the buckle is literally RIGHT in the huge armrest hole, it's absolutely brilliant to buckle.
Rodifix might also be good, here's BookMama's dd buckling it... [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNnsr3tB3iE"]Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Review: Buckling Next to Another Carseat - YouTube[/ame]

Athena

Maybe the Clek Oobr? All but the Drift pattern come with a cup holder, but you can also buy it separately if you go with Drift.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, already tried it. I love the sturdiness and rigid latch, but it didn't fit my tall kid well or the car. It was wide enough to awkwardly overlap the wheel well on the outer side (not sure if that's okay). Although I kind of remember it being okay to buckle, but I really don't remember. If it were much less money, it might work for short term use, but not for $300. :crying:

I have that same problem in my car. I went with the kiddy cruiserfix pro. it latches but theres no cup holder. also just an FYI, it doesnt work well next to other FF car seats or people riding in the car due to the design of the side wings/supports. they get wider as the child gets taller.

I'll think about it, but I don't think we could give up having even one cup holder when we're used to two (one for drink, other for snack). When we have to go directly somewhere after school, they need to be able to have their snack on the go. What's the height? FYI, she's already outgrown the FR85 harness.

You're lucky my current fave is out of stock... you'll think I'm joking... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Pro...gMethod=Recommendation:wm:RecentlyViewedItems Seriously, though, the buckle is literally RIGHT in the huge armrest hole, it's absolutely brilliant to buckle.
Rodifix might also be good, here's BookMama's dd buckling it... Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Review: Buckling Next to Another Carseat - YouTube

Wow, that does sound like good design to reach the buckle! I'd have to see if it fit without removing the headrests, since it's Dorel. What are the heights on these? She's very tall for her age. Does the Rodifix latch and offer a cup holder?

Having a similar issue. The First Years 570 (pathway) is narrow but the way it's even narrower on the lowest part means it's impossible for kids to find low buckles. Skip it.
The SGL ('12) latched with the buckle stuck outside the base is what works best for now for us.

The evenflo boosters are really narrow. You might want to check them out. None of them latch if that's important to you.

Thanks for the info on the 570, so I won't waste my time with it. I seem to recall the evenflo not being very tall and not latching and not fitting skinnies well, but maybe they have something newer. I can hope! :) They have some at Target, right?

I should have mentioned, she's used to premium fabrics and seats and has sensory issues, so we need something cozy. Although the secondary seat might be okay if it's not quite as nice, but she complains about her SGL not being soft enough and I think it's nice.

Also, what about the new Cybex? I feel like I saw some details on that a while ago, but now I can't remember.

MotoMommaNH

Rodifix might also be good, here's BookMama's dd buckling it... Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Review: Buckling Next to Another Carseat - YouTube

this is the CUTEST video! what an adorable kiddo and I loved the music :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC