Need a new car - 5K budget

lovemybabybug

The 2004 Jeep Liberty has a pretty awful frontal crash rating; you ducked a bullet there. I'm looking into a couple of cases right now with the Liberty where people died who should not have, given the speeds of the crash and the vehicles the Liberty crashed into.

Wow! Thank you! I was actually just about to PM MSG to check the ratings for me! Well, scratch that one then
Is it only the 2004 model, or other years too?

ADS

lovemybabybug

What do you have to say about

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS 1.8T
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T

2005, 2006, 2007 Chevy equinox

Found these at a dealer about an hour from me and I don't want to bother driving there if the ratings aren't decent.

Last edited:

vmmatula

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T

Found these at a dealer about an hour from me and I don't want to bother driving there if the ratings aren't decent.

When I was researching recently, I found out that the Freestyle apparently had a transmission that is different from all other cars and is no longer being produced so it'd be more complicated to replace if necesarry. since the ones in our price range(like yours) are older, transmission failure isnt uncommon. its a risk you take; but then theres a risk in everything.

msg221

Glad you didn't end up with a Jeep Liberty. My friend had one right about the time her twins were newborns. She had bought it brand new so it was only a couple of years old by then and she had problems with the window not staying up. It was ridiculous. A co-worker of mine had the same problem. He still has his now but the paint has oxidized off it so it doesn't look that great now. I know my friend had other issues too and she finally traded it in when the twins were about a year old and got the Sienna that she has now.

lovemybabybug

I sent someone a message about a 2005 equinox asking how many miles was on it and he sent me this

The motor was replace by hawthorne chevrolet. My dad owned the car and. had an extended warranty. He kept complaining of shifting problems and they could not narrow it down to what it was. so they changed motor and transmission with new, now it has no problems. I took the car away from him 3 weeks ago, hes 90 and a bad driver now... 22,500 on motor and transmission 223,000 on chassis runs and looks grea"

Complete motor and transmission replacement. Is that bad news? Even though it has 223k miles on the chasis, does the lower mileage on the motor motor and trans make up for it?

I feel like I'm running around in circles. Unfortunately my budget is what it is.

From all I have read so far, I am back on the Scion xb. The reviews on edmunds.com are pretty good all the way around. Now I just have to find one. There are none around here, closest ones are about an hour away and I wouldn't be able to have my mechanic look at it.

griffinej5

My mom has an XB, the older box style. We don't live super far from where you are I think. Philadelphia area here. Hers is a manual, but it handled this winter okay. She stayed home in the worst of it, like most people, but for being low it's decent. I think it has some sort of traction control.
I have an 06 Equinox, got for $5800, not 4wd. I don't go out in the crazy snow either, and except for mine being better around the horrible potholes, I could drive either just as well. There is no center rear head rest on the equinox. I can't recall if the XB does have one, and my mom is out now. I'm not sure about 3 boosters across the XB though. The back seat of the equinox has dog crates on it. I rarely put my niece in it in a rf seat, and my mom took it to and from fl To get my sister.
If the equinox crashes ok, there are a few other cars which are just rebadges you can look for. I'm pretty sure the gmc terrain is the same car pretty much, and there is maybe one other. I'm not sure it would make much difference for your stuff, but it does for my dog crates, but the wheel wells in the rear sort of cut into the trunk area. If they didn't cut in, my dog crates should both be able to fit back there. They would in a ford escape. I'd rather the dogs be in the passenger area anyway when possible, but I thought I'd point it out if it might matter for your equipment.

lovemybabybug

My mom has an XB, the older box style. We don't live super far from where you are I think. Philadelphia area here. Hers is a manual, but it handled this winter okay. She stayed home in the worst of it, like most people, but for being low it's decent. I think it has some sort of traction control.
I have an 06 Equinox, got for $5800, not 4wd. I don't go out in the crazy snow either, and except for mine being better around the horrible potholes, I could drive either just as well. There is no center rear head rest on the equinox. I can't recall if the XB does have one, and my mom is out now. I'm not sure about 3 boosters across the XB though. The back seat of the equinox has dog crates on it. I rarely put my niece in it in a rf seat, and my mom took it to and from fl To get my sister.
If the equinox crashes ok, there are a few other cars which are just rebadges you can look for. I'm pretty sure the gmc terrain is the same car pretty much, and there is maybe one other. I'm not sure it would make much difference for your stuff, but it does for my dog crates, but the wheel wells in the rear sort of cut into the trunk area. If they didn't cut in, my dog crates should both be able to fit back there. They would in a ford escape. I'd rather the dogs be in the passenger area anyway when possible, but I thought I'd point it out if it might matter for your equipment.

My stuff is just baskets, blankets, backdrop stands, so the wheels cutting into the cargo space is not big deal at all. I like the Ford escape a lot, but but they didn't start using l/s belts in all positions until after 2007 I think, and the 2007 and newer are more than what I can pay for it. Same goes for CRVs. I currently have 6k to spend.

agave

I loved my 06 xB it also handled better on slippery dirt roads than my Ranger did. With the rear seats down it holds a bunch of stuff. I've had people as tall as 6'3" tell me the back seat has lots of leg room. I had 2 RF radians in mine it was tight but I never got to try the angle adjuster. My biggest complaint was mine had a huge target on it and I was hit 4 times in 5 years twice with the kids in the car and once pregnant.

agave

I was a school photographer when I got my xB. I carried studio lights and a background in mine regularly with the seats up. When we shot seniors I usually had to put the seats down because I had to haul around a lot more crap.

CarSafetyGuy

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T

Safety wise, they all have good frontal scores, and the Passat has the lowest driver death rate of the four (keeping in mind that the Freestyle/Equinox data isn't available yet). However, Passats as a whole are very unreliable cars, and I know there have been issues with Equinox reliability in the past and present. I can't speak to the reliability of the Freestyle or Caliber. Regarding the '05 gen Equinox, I'm finishing up a case where three people died in a head-on crash in one of them. However, all three were unbelted, and would almost certainly have survived the crash had they been belted, so that certainly isn't a strike against the vehicle.

StillThankful

For you toyota owners, how high mileage should I be looking for. Of course course the lower the better, but since it is a Toyota I would be ok with a little higher mileage. If you were spending 5k, what would I expect?

Hi. Hope you end up getting a car with which you are happy.

With a Toyota, I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage as I would the maintenance on certain model years. I think that the 1st generation Siennas (up to 2003) were subject to oil gelling, which damages the engine. However, if you take a prospective car into a Toyota Dealership they will pull the front valve cover gasket off for you for about $35 or $40 to see if there is evidence of gelling. You can perhaps find a 2004 Sienna for that price (which is a 2nd generation model without the oil gelling problems). The Highlanders seem to be more expensive. I saw one below 5K but it had a rebuilt engine.

For 5K, you can get a 2004 Odyssey. 2005 ones are about $7500 and up on Craigslist.

But perhaps some good negotiating skills can get you the vehicle that you really want.

Wish you lots of wonderful prospects! HTH

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL

A very safe choice, and essentially identical to the Ford Taurus X. They shared a basic platform with the Volvo XC90 from when Ford owned Volvo cars and had excellent crash test results for models of that year. Plus you get a usable 3rd row as well.

Safety wise, they all have good frontal scores, and the Passat has the lowest driver death rate of the four (keeping in mind that the Freestyle/Equinox data isn't available yet).

Keep in mind that IIHS driver death rates are not a direct indicator of crash-worthiness or safety. Even the most recent evaluations have a large component of driver demographic that cannot be removed from the data. This can be affected by models sold to fleets and rental companies, models/brands that tend to be driven more than others or driven in particular urban or rural areas. These differences can be magnified when comparing vehicles across different classes that may attract different demographics of buyers.

For example, even identical corporate twin vehicles have had significantly different results in past reports. Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger and Chrysler T&C/Dodge Grand Caravan come do mind as models that shared crash test results and safety features but sometimes varied considerably on driver fatality rates.

Also, these death rates don't consider any risk to the other front or rear seat passengers, a key factor if you're not commuting alone in the car and are concerned about crash safety for other family members as well. www.informedforlife.org does a great job of incorporating key safety tests, features and weight for a good overall indicator of safety.

CarSafetyGuy

Oh, I certainly agree. However, much like the weights of the vehicles, their crash scores, presence or lack of ESC and side airbags, ride height, and so on, I see it as a piece worth considering. Personally, I'd take the Freestyle out of the vehicles she listed above due to how it weighs in on all of the other categories I mentioned.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I like the Ford escape a lot, but but they didn't start using l/s belts in all positions until after 2007 I think, and the 2007 and newer are more than what I can pay for it. Same goes for CRVs. I currently have 6k to spend.

My 2005 Ford Escape had lap/shoulder belts in all three rear seating positions. I believe '05 is when they added them.

lovemybabybug

I have an appointment to see a 2006 Scion XB with 70k miles on it tomorrow. That's a private seller and I am taking a mechanic with me.

Then a dealer has the 2005 Freestyle with 123k miles on it. even has a DVD player.

I didn't even realize the freestyle had a 3rd row and now I think I would like to see that one before I even look at the Scion. The scion is an hour and a half away, ideally if I like and the mechanic says it looks good I would like to bring it home, so I am not driving there and back again. I would love to look at the freestyle first though.

Here's the freestyle

http://www.m2autogroup.com/2005_Ford_Freestyle_East Brunswick_NJ_225768446.veh

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC