Plastic hinges on vehicle seats.

cookie123

I know I've seen that this is a problem. Every time? Just for certain child seats? Do boosters matter? All the cars I'm looking at have them. If any one can offer any help I'd appreciate it!

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It's a case by case thing. Some seats will work fine, like Britax since they don't contact the vehicle anywhere near hinges. Other seats like the Radian will be completely incompatible, especially rfing. Some rfing seats ,like a Snugride, you can work around the issue by padding the hinge with a pool noodle or rolled towel and bypassing the built in recline adjusters, but the seat has to allow doing so.

Keeks64

I know what you mean about seeing hinges EVERYwhere. oy. The Sante Fe sport is particularly 'hing-y'

Ugh the Santa Fe is awful!!!!! I had to do an AOE In an 07 yesterday & it was very near being incompatible with the plastic hinges & wide base of the AOE

cookie123

Sorry if I sound clueless, but what hinges are you referring to?

THere are plastic hinges on some rear seats for folding down the seat back.

We went over to test drive the CRV. They couldn't help us. Can you believe it? The wait was indefinite. They had one we liked, too. I am not sure about the rear head rests though. In the middle it was barely tall enough for me and I'm 5' 5". The others only fold forward and don't adjust up and down or come off that I could tell anyway. It has the ceiling middle belt, but at least the buckle thing for it was where it should be. I like the Rav4 looks more.:(

msg221

THere are plastic hinges on some rear seats for folding down the seat back.

We went over to test drive the CRV. They couldn't help us. Can you believe it? The wait was indefinite. They had one we liked, too. I am not sure about the rear head rests though. In the middle it was barely tall enough for me and I'm 5' 5". The others only fold forward and don't adjust up and down or come off that I could tell anyway. It has the ceiling middle belt, but at least the buckle thing for it was where it should be. I like the Rav4 looks more.:(

What? Couldn't help you??? Out here we can never pull up to a car dealer without some salesperson in your face the second you step out of your car!

I love how easy the seats fold down in the CR-V. So easy!

And the headrests do come off because as I was scanning through the manual to see how that center ceiling belt works, I found the section about adjusting/removing the head rest.

Here is a video I found on You Tube where they compared the RAV4, CR-V, and Mazda CX-5. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8p5ot8YW0"]Compact Crossover Comparison: Toyota RAV4 vs Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 -- Edmunds.com - YouTube[/ame]

and another comparing the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, RAV-4, CR-V, and Ford Escape. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8p5ot8YW0"]Compact Crossover Comparison: Toyota RAV4 vs Honda CR-V vs Mazda CX-5 -- Edmunds.com - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe those will help. One of them mention how installing car seats is the hardest in the RAV4.

cookie123

Right? No one offered to help us so we finally asked. We could wait an hour approx. so we left!

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. In Consumer Reports they liked the CRV and I forget the other 2. Said they were family friendly and child seats easy to install. You'll let me know won't you?

msg221

Right? No one offered to help us so we finally asked. We could wait an hour approx. so we left!

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. In Consumer Reports they liked the CRV and I forget the other 2. Said they were family friendly and child seats easy to install. You'll let me know won't you?

I installed my FR90 and Argos with no problems. The only other seat I have is an Oobr, with the rigid latch. I'm betting it will be a piece of cake because the LATCH anchors aren't buried in the seat like they are in the Accord. I was cursing everything about having to install seats in the Accord. I hated how hard it was to try and hook the tether on the TA and then try to pull the strap snug. Not a lot of room to do that. That was another reason I missed my SUV and how easy it was to just throw the tether over the back of the seat and then hook it on the back. I will be forever grateful to DH for trading his truck and getting me the CR-V!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC