Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

2001 Jeep Cherokee Car seat Help

This will be my first child and getting a new car is not an option. My Jeep Cherokee does not have the latch system and the back seat is a bench with a middle lap belt only. I'm wondering what options there are to upgrade the middle seat to make it car seat combatible. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member happiness-and-balance's Avatar

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Car seat Help

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here.

No need for a new vehicle, we'll find something that works for you!

A lap belt is safe for a rear-facing only car seat install (it should not be used for a booster seat or a person sitting in just the belt. Your vehicle does not have a centre top tether hook, and Jeep doesn't have a top tether anchor retrofit available, so that position cannot be used for a forward facing car seat either).

A few questions to help us give you better suggestions:

(1) What is your budget for a car seat?

(2) Do you want an infant seat with a base (the infant seat is removable to carry baby around, base stays in vehicle) or a convertible (would stay in vehicle, lasts longer than infant seat)?

(3) What is your goal for rear-facing? The longer, the better. Rear facing is 5x safer than forward facing for children under 2 years old, and would allow your centre seating position to be used longer.

Here is a short article on why rear facing is so heavily recommended by the American Academy of Paediatrics, CPS Advocates and Technicians, and countless others:
    http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear...rf-link-guide/

There are plenty that will work for your vehicle. LATCH is nice to have, but it is not necessary at all. A seat belt install is just as safe!
    -Angela

Re: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Car seat Help

Welcome!

The 2001 model looks similar to my 1998 model. I it for car seat installations. I don't recall having any issues with any of the seats that I tried in the car.

The middle seat is compatible with a rear facing seat. When you switch to forward facing it will be a bit trickier due to top tethers. I believe you have top tethers in the outboard seating positions, but not in the middle. Forward facing is a while away though.

What is your budget? Do you want an infant seat or convertible?
    Kacie, CPST.
    Aunt to SIX little loves between the ages of two weeks and seven years!