5 y/o Flying with dad. RA vs EF securekid vs Argos vs CARES

landers2929

Hi,

My 5 y/o will be flying with my husband on Saturday. I am always the one to install car seats and my husband is a minimalist. Whatever is easier, he will do. I am hoping/begging he will take a carseat (or other appropriate option) on the plane for my son (usually I am the one taking and installing...) He knows he will at least need a car seat for whatever car they use when they get there.

We currently have RAs, a Graco Argos, at least one Evenflo Securekid 300, and one Evenflo Securekid 400. The Securekids seemed like they might be the lightest, but their width was about 18in. I thought I have read we aim for 17? I know I have used the RA in the past. Was wondering what is a more portable/easier option, preferably of the above.

DS is 35 lbs, 42 in tall and torso height is about 14 inches. He usually does a GREAT job sleeping in his car seats on the plane, so I was thinking an actual car seat (as opposed to CARES) might be better. Would CARES even be an option with his height being above 42 in?

It looks like I do need to replace a BV that my 2 y/o is using b/c of a broken head wing and inability/difficulty to tighten straps, so if there is an excellent replacement for that that would also fit the light/flight bill for the 5 y/o that would work. 2 y/o is 35 in, 28lbs , and 13-14 in torso.

Thank you

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would send the Evenflo Securekid 400. It is lighter than the Argos, and on the other end in the car the SureLATCH may be easier for your husband to get right.

It should fit on the airplane seat fine if he raises the arm rest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC