Question 2001 Jeep Cherokee Car seat Help

U

Unregistered

This will be my first child and getting a new car is not an option. My Jeep Cherokee does not have the latch system and the back seat is a bench with a middle lap belt only. I'm wondering what options there are to upgrade the middle seat to make it car seat combatible. Thank you!

ADS
Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here.

No need for a new vehicle, we'll find something that works for you!

A lap belt is safe for a rear-facing only car seat install (it should not be used for a booster seat or a person sitting in just the belt. Your vehicle does not have a centre top tether hook, and Jeep doesn't have a top tether anchor retrofit available, so that position cannot be used for a forward facing car seat either).

A few questions to help us give you better suggestions:

(1) What is your budget for a car seat?

(2) Do you want an infant seat with a base (the infant seat is removable to carry baby around, base stays in vehicle) or a convertible (would stay in vehicle, lasts longer than infant seat)?

(3) What is your goal for rear-facing? The longer, the better. Rear facing is 5x safer than forward facing for children under 2 years old, and would allow your centre seating position to be used longer.

Here is a short article on why rear facing is so heavily recommended by the American Academy of Paediatrics, CPS Advocates and Technicians, and countless others:
http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

There are plenty that will work for your vehicle. LATCH is nice to have, but it is not necessary at all. A seat belt install is just as safe!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome! :D

The 2001 model looks similar to my 1998 model. I :love: it for car seat installations. I don't recall having any issues with any of the seats that I tried in the car.

The middle seat is compatible with a rear facing seat. When you switch to forward facing it will be a bit trickier due to top tethers. I believe you have top tethers in the outboard seating positions, but not in the middle. Forward facing is a while away though. :)

What is your budget? Do you want an infant seat or convertible?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC