New (used) car shopping... Sienna, Pathfinder, Sorento?

mimieliza

We are buying a new-to-us car/SUV/van in the next month. Our budget is around $20K. We are looking for something that seats at least 6, but 95% of the time, we will only be seating 4. We need it to last at least 10 years without expensive repairs, ideally. We live in a mountainous, winter-weather kind of place. I can manage with a front-wheel-drive with traction tires, however. Right now, here are some of our options...

2012 Toyota Sienna 2.7L I-4 cyl
28,000 miles
$21K

Pros:
Toyota reliability
Lots of room for passengers and cargo (seats 8 )
Good gas mileage
I like minivans. :)

Cons:
4 cyl engine
No AWD
Base level trim - missing a few features that we would like (roof rack, tinted windows, center console

2013 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
32,000 miles
$21K

Pros:
AWD
Nicer trim level, doesn't feel stripped down
V6 engine
Good gas mileage

Cons:
very limited seating for third row passengers, over all less space
Kia reliability?

2012 Nissan Pathfinder S
36,000 Miles
$23K

Pros:
very spacious interior
4x4
Truck-like, could tow things if we wanted
Nissan reliability (I think this is a pro?)

Cons:
Poor gas mileage
slightly more expensive

Any thoughts from those who own one of these vehicles and/or have installed carseats? I have a booster rider (7.5 years), and a FFing harnessed rider (almost 4).

Last edited:
ADS

msg221

I had that exact model Kia Sorento except it wasn't AWD. I had it for 14 months and then got rid of it after one experience of the engine just dying on me while I was idling, waiting to turn left into the Kohl's parking lot. I was able to put the car back into park and restart it and it did drive fine after that. I took it to the dealer but they (of course!) could not replicate the problem and said they found nothing with all of their tests and test drive. Meanwhile, when I Googled the problem, I found numerous complaints on the NHTSA web site for the exact same issue! Some people were on the freeway and some people had it happen more than once. It was scary and I just did not have any peace of mind driving it anymore so right around this past Christmas, we traded it for a 2014 Honda Accord EX. I would check the NHTSA web site and you can read all of the complaints on there (including mine!). http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I can't comment on the reliability as I only had it for 14 months. Also, I had the third row in mine and it was too cramped for adults. I also found that the ride wasn't very smooth. My only other complaint was that I wish they had used a nicer fabric for the upholstery. (I didn't have leather). Car seats were easy to install (I have a FR90 and a Graco Argos). Aside from those complaints, I did like it. So much so, that I really, really missed having an SUV. Prior to the Sorento, I had a 2003 Highlander. Well, DH ended up trading his Toyota Tundra in on Friday and got me a Honda CR-V, which I absolutely love and now he is driving the Accord.

mimieliza

Thank you! We aren't looking at the CR-V at this point, because no third row. If we decide to give up on the third row, we will look at the Subaru Forester (we already have one - a 2002 - but the newer ones are bigger). I want to test drive the Sorento, and am tempted by it because it has everything we need (even if the third row is teeny) but I am worried about whether a Kia will be as reliable as, say, the Toyota Sienna.

mimieliza

OMG, want to scare yourself off of buying any new car EVER? Go read the NHTSA complaints for any vehicle... horrifying!

I haven't even gotten to the Kia yet, but apparently 2012 Siennas can spontaneously burst into flames, crush children in their sliding doors, accelerate uncontrollably, and crash without the seat belts engaging or air bags deploying. :eek:

msg221

Oh, and another problem that the NHTSA is investigating is that so many people have complained that the sunroof glass just shattered for no reason. Just driving along and next thing they know, the glass is shattering! So you might want to not get a Sorento with a sunroof if you decide on it.

I had never bought a Kia prior to my Sorento and was also concerned about reliability, but I figured with the 10 year, 100k mile warranty, it would be okay. I would have kept my Sorento had I not had the issue with the engine dying. My friend bought her a few months after me but she hasn't had anything like that happen.

I don't know if I want to look at the complaints for CR-V!

tl01

Lots of cars do have the roof shattering issue... even the CRV.

I had a car that had a window shatter... I am convinced it happened bc the car had low profile (stock) tires and we we hit a bad pothole... It was the windows closest to the tire... It was a station wagon and the window was right above the tire. I think the impact with the pot hole stressed it and then about a week later it just shattered. I wonder if having a glass sunroof takes a lot of the forces of the car shifting and maybe that makes it vulnerable.

Have you considered looking at the Kia Sedona if you are considering a minivan? You should be able to get a newer one with your budget? You could almost get a 2014 Sedona for your budget. I think you could negotiate the base model down to at least 23k... And that would come with a long warranty.

Last edited:

msg221

I may never use my sunroof in my CR-V or the Accord. I just can't imagine how scary it would be to be driving along and have that thing shatter!

tl01

I may never use my sunroof in my CR-V or the Accord. I just can't imagine how scary it would be to be driving along and have that thing shatter!

The ones I read didn't say the sunroofs were open... I'm sure there are forces on the glass when it is closed. The body of a car flexes all the time... And the glass heats and contracts a lot too. Fwiw... My cars have had glass sunroofs for years... Like almost 20 years and I've never had an issue. Neither have any of my relatives cars. The glass shouldn't cut you... It just might make a mess. My sunroof has a cover between me and the sunroof when it isn't in use. Honestly... it is the least of my worries when driving.

bubbaray

The sunroof issue is that the glass isn't tempered like the windshield glass, so it is sharp and in shards when it shatters. The problem is when the sunroof is closed and it happens at random.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
As far as I know, the majority of sunroof glass is tempered. The remainder is laminated glass like in a front windshield. Laminated glass sunroofs or side windows are usually only in the bigger end brands since it's more expensive.

Neither break into shards. The both crumble, but laminated crumbles and stays with the lamination so doesn't get all over you and the car like tempered. You can still be cut by the crumbles as they are sharp little buggers.

mimieliza

Don't worry, I'm not getting a sunroof. ;)

The Sedona is on our list as a second-tier option if we end up having to get something cheaper. I have one now (a 2003) and my husband hates it. But we could get a 2012 for $16k.

We are most likely buying from Hertz.

tl01

The sunroof issue is that the glass isn't tempered like the windshield glass, so it is sharp and in shards when it shatters. The problem is when the sunroof is closed and it happens at random.

I didn't know it cuts but that's good to know. We had a bunch of car windows shot out with BB guns where I lived when I was a kid. Some bratty kid was angry about seeing nice cars and he was targeting the same brand of cars every night while the cars were parked outside. We lost three windows in about two weeks but I didn't purposefully touch the glass but I didn't get cut either.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I didn't know it cuts but that's good to know.

Except what you quoted isn't inaccurate. Sunroof glass is either tempered the same as side car windows, or laminated like a front windshield. (Note that some vehicles also have laminated side windows).

Tempered class can cut you, because the crumbles still have sharp edges, but much safer than shards. You're likely to get tiny cuts as opposed to severing a vein.

If anyone wants to take a look, there should be printing somewhere on the window or sunroof, usually in the corner that tells you if it's tempered or laminated.

tl01

FWIW... I had a Sienna... a 2012. I only had it for about a year. I hated it with a fiery passion. It had issues. I bought it new and Toyota did try to fix the issues and when they couldn't they then told me the issues were normal... even though I have their service papers that said the issues were not normal. It was in the shop for at least 30 days during that year I'm guessing. I had Toyota corporate involved and it was just such a mess. Our Honda dealers and Honda corporate have been much more responsive to issues with my various odysseys.

CarSafetyGuy

The current generation Sienna is a vehicle I'd wholeheartedly recommend, and I'm in the business of saving lives. ESC, 4000 lbs, full side airbag coverage, and good front, side, and roof scores? The only thing I wish it had was a small frontal offset score, but that's coming soon. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly over almost any vehicle, and easily over the other two you listed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC