Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chicco Nextfit installed in middle seat 2014 odyssey

Hi
    I got my Nextfit a couple weeks ago. I went to the fire station here to make sure it got installed correctly. I told them to install in middle row captain seat, but he said the middle is best. They were able to install it very securely in the Odyssey small middle seat with the seats in wide position. In order to get a super secure fit he reclined the seat back some after he had tightened it, then tightened it even more. It will not move at all now. I remember someone saying they couldn't get a secure fit in the 2nd row, middle seat. I'm hoping this was a good trick he used for install and that its safe since it won't move. I have recline angle on 3 for my 29 pound 2 year old. If its not moving its safe, right?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    Well that's interesting because I've read here that it doesn't go in well there.

Can you post pics?

Re: Chicco Nextfit installed in middle seat 2014 odyssey

Having trouble loading pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by thepote View Post
    Well that's interesting because I've read here that it doesn't go in well there.

Can you post pics?
    That's exactly why I'm questioning install. It's not budging at all. Hoping its a good fit because without the shoulder strap covers my ds is happy in it...so far...

Not sure if its working
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup- there it is Thanks.

Are there any prohibitions in the Ody manual regarding reclining the seat with a CR in it, etc?

Yup- there it is Thanks.

Are there any prohibitions in the Ody manual regarding reclining the seat with a CR in it, etc?
    I don't see any in the Honda manual. There is latch on that seat to be used as well. Also. The seat is no longer reclined. He put it back up after he tightened it a second time. Does it look ok? It's in there really tight.

Carseat Crazy
    I thought only recline 1 and 2 were allowed for rearfacing? And 3 on up were for forward facing?

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

Quote Originally Posted by Keeyamah View Post
    I thought only recline 1 and 2 were allowed for rearfacing? And 3 on up were for forward facing?
    On the Chicco nextfit site video it says any recline is fine if bubble level is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmylynnk View Post
    On the Chicco nextfit site video it says any recline is fine if bubble level is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, the manual says to use the bubble and use whatever recline number works with your car to keep the bubble in the correct zone.

12. Thank You from:

Did you install it yourself after the firefighter did it? I'm thinking that thing is under a lot of stress and you might not be able to replicate it if the firefighter literally forced it tight.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The recline and incline trick is one that we use when a seat is almost incompatible (or the parent installing has physical limitations.) It shouldn't be used routinely but sounds like the situation might warrant it? My concern is that you know how to install it. I'd take it out and try to reinstall tightly without, and then if necessary with, that trick, and see what happens.

The force multiplying LATCH straps are meant to help with this; is LATCH or seatbelt being used?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Latch is being used on the seat. I will not have a need to remove and reinstall the seat because it always stays in this car. The fire station is pretty close if it ever loosens up. It moved a little before he reclined the seatback a couple inches tightened it more then put the seat back up the couple inches. What do you think? I'd prefer to not do it myself because I never seem to get solid installs.

Is it safe if its not moving and the bubble is in correct position?

Quote Originally Posted by kimmylynnk View Post
    Latch is being used on the seat. I will not have a need to remove and reinstall the seat because it always stays in this car. The fire station is pretty close if it ever loosens up. It moved a little before he reclined the seatback a couple inches tightened it more then put the seat back up the couple inches. What do you think? I'd prefer to not do it myself because I never seem to get solid installs.
    You really need to learn to install it yourself. What if your car breaks down on the freeway and you need to install the seat in another car to get home? What if your child has an accident or throws up and you need to remove the seat for cleaning and reinstall it because you are home alone with your child? There are a lot of reasons you might need to remove the seat and you should feel confident in your ability to reinstall it yourself of that ever happens. You may not have access to a tech at that time.
    Daniele
    dd1 born/died 4/30/03
    ds1 11yo and 5 stepping it
    dd2 8yo and riding in a Parkway SGL
    ds2 4yo and riding in a Frontier CT and a Tranzitions

You really need to know how and be confident in your ability- what if your car breaks down and you need to install in a different vehicle while it gets towed?

There's no way for me to say it is or isn't safe without a physical inspection. In general I'd lean toward ”yes” but the unknown factor is whether something is masking a problem that you can't see without taking itout- hinges on the seat commonly cause interference in some seating positions while also masking movement. It's your seat; if YOU are concerned the best thing to do is take it out, check for damage or interference, and reinstall, and it doesn't have to be as tight as it is now when you do. Anything less than one inch of movement at the belt path is ok.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I will do it this afternoon and let you know.....

It doesn't even sound like this guy was a tech if he did it for her and didn't make sure she could do it. We've had multiple knowledgable people here try to do it and said it's incompatible. I'm just worried it's inappropriately muscled in there , you know?

I would never feel comfortable with this situation if it were me and my child, honestly. If for whatever reason no one thought to try the recline trick and it does work then, hooray, we can tell people that. But personally I would not use it in this situation unless I could uninstall it and replicate it.

Eta: cross posted... I'm glad you are going to try

21. Thank You from:

It doesn't even sound like this guy was a tech if he did it for her and didn't make sure she could do it.
    unfortunately this is still par for the course at some fitting stations. It's what you often get at the CHP here, and I correct a lot of erroneous installs they so.
    We've had multiple knowledgable people here try to do it and said it's incompatible. I'm just worried it's inappropriately muscled in there , you know?
    It's possible no one tried this trick to fix a near incompatible install, and it works. It's also possible that there are hinges etc he muscled it into inappropriately. No way to know without inspection. Glad OP is checking it out.

Senior Community Member jwilliams's Avatar
    I would be worried that either the plastic hinges on the Odyssey or the NextFit's LATCH hardware being perched/jammed on the belt path were giving the appearance of a solid installation, especially with the recline trick. That's what that seat does to a few things I have tried to install there.

I would personally move it outboard, where installing with Super Cinch likely won't require fireman muscles . Between being in a vehicle with side airbags where the seats aren't right next to the doors and being RF, it's still very, very safe in any position.

*posted using the car-seat.org app*
    5yo harnessed in a Britax Pioneer, one 3yo RF in a Fllo and another 3yo RF in a plum RXT, all in a 2014 Honda Accord.