Question Who Goes In Front?

kathysr98

My BFF sometimes takes her two kids, my dd, and another girl to church or other activities. She only had two rows, so someone has to go in the front seat. All kids are harnessed since buckling boosters would be a nightmare in her car.

Options:
6yo, 47lbs, 42"
5yo, 43lbs, 46"
5yo, 53lbs, 44"
5yo, 35lbs, 40"

Seat used in the front is an XTSL and all kids fit correctly.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
if there's a tether for the front, the lightest kid that doesn't need the Safestop. If there's no tether, then the lightest kid. Less weight equals less head excursion.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would have voted for the oldest child. Older children have stronger skeletons.

The reality is that although the back seat is safest, a forward facing child in a properly installed and properly adjusted car seat is still pretty safe in the front. I wouldn't stress TOO much about which one goes in front.

bella_1818

DS had to ride in the front a few times when DH broke his leg. We were told a Frontier was our best option because we didn't have a tether option.

If sometime needs a new seat, that might be one to think about.

Keeyamah

But they are all, relatively speaking, very close in weight and age, hrmmm. I think I'd honesty be tempted to let them take turns :/.

Keeanh

They're all so close, I would go with the "take turns" idea. Unless it's illegal in your state for some reason (sorry, I have no idea about different laws and how they're worded). In that case I would advise her to put her own child in the front for her own protection from liability. Not that you would sue her or anything, but it's a good thing generally speaking to do the illegal thing with your own kid.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Are there any states where this would be illegal? Every "back seat" law I've seen (which surely isn't all of them) specifies that a child needs to ride in the back if a seat is available.

Keeanh

Are there any states where this would be illegal? Every "back seat" law I've seen (which surely isn't all of them) specifies that a child needs to ride in the back if a seat is available.

That's what I'm assuming, but just wanted to mention it.

For sure when they get bigger and are in boosters, this could come into play in a proper-use jurisdiction, with boosters being effectively illegal in front of an airbag.

ETA: Actually, even without a proper-use clause, it's still against manufacturer directions. So if it were to come to everyone in boosters, I'd say driver's child in a front seat with an airbag regardless of the law.

And thinking about it more, even without the question of legality, the front is not recommended for children. So if I was the driver, I would always have my own kids up front even in harnessed seats. Even with the law on my side, I still wouldn't want to deal with the risk of putting someone else's child in the not-recommended spot. Hope I'm making sense...

kathysr98

BFF prefers one of her kids be in the front, but has been forced to put the smallest in the front due to seat availability. (Only free seat had a 40lb limit & makes a terrible booster. Plus not wanting a boostered kid in the front.) A trusted friend is selling me her Radian soon, so I'll give it to BFF for this purpose. Her dd is the oldest & her ds is the heaviest, but there's only 15 months from oldest to youngest.

ETA: Our state law reads backseat if available. I called the state police to verify & ask about dh 'a jeep with the backseat removed. They verified that it was legal for her to be in the front with the backseat removed, so she rode RF in the front of the Jeep several times with the air bag off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC