Safe!?!?!!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well...they could at least say safeR...
I haven't yet see a baby fall off a cart in a seat. Wish I could say the same for toddlers falling headfirst out of the cart's basket onto the floor (that's a melon-onto-concrete sound that makes me want to vomit every time I hear it).

leighi123

Well...they could at least say safeR...
I haven't yet see a baby fall off a cart in a seat. Wish I could say the same for toddlers falling headfirst out of the cart's basket onto the floor (that's a melon-onto-concrete sound that makes me want to vomit every time I hear it).

I have - except the whole cart tipped over too, the infant seat bounced off of it. Lucky the baby was buckled in. I was pregnant at the time, it was awful!

This thing still makes the cart top-heavy, I don't think its much better than what people do now.

sm1982

Well...they could at least say safeR... I haven't yet see a baby fall off a cart in a seat. Wish I could say the same for toddlers falling headfirst out of the cart's basket onto the floor (that's a melon-onto-concrete sound that makes me want to vomit every time I hear it).

This video made the news not too long ago. The baby wasn't buckled and fell out of her seat, as the seat was falling off the top of a cart. (Baby was caught and wasn't injured.)
http://news.yahoo.com/nice-save--home-depot-employee-catches-falling-baby-221823418.html

Baylor

I think it is better than what people are doing now. Most times the child is not even strapped in the seat. At least this way they can strap in the whole seat. People are not going to stop doing it.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't know how they can claim that it's "universal." Yeah, that Keyfit looks fairly secure in there (I'm not even going to address the top-heavyness issue), but how can the same plastic shell thing accommodate an Aton? Infant seats don't all have the same shape. It's making my hands break into a sweat just thinking about how my car seat would wobble around in that thing.

Speaking of which, this reminds me of a trip to Target recently. I put my Aton infant carrier inside the basket of the shopping cart (the main compartment) and was tucking my groceries around my baby. I was in the dairy aisle when a woman approached me and gave me the "helpful tip" that I could click my car seat up in the top seat of the cart. I wasn't sure how to react (I mentally critique other people's use of car seats in public spaces, but I've never had the opportunity to talk to a stranger about car seats before and I was taken off-guard) so I just smiled and said that mine doesn't fit like that. She repeated, "It doesn't fit?" and I shrugged and said, "No, not this one." (I wasn't lying either -- because of the Aton's release being on the base, it wouldn't even give you a false sense of security by "clicking in.") Then she got weirdly snotty and muttered, "Must be a big car seat!" as I walked away.

So weird! Who gives misinformation to strangers and then gets huffy about it when they don't take your poor advice!?

katymyers

I few stores around town have these now, I tried Aubrei's B Safe in one just for curiosity (Josh dropped me off at the door and I was waiting for him to park the car) it was secure, though definitely top heavy, but no matter how I positioned the seat it was way too upright. Like almost flipping her head forward. Not good for any baby, dangerous for a newborn. So not at all universal, a B Safe isn't even that rare or unusual. Maybe one of these days I'll dig out my old Snugride 35 and see how it fits.

All I see when I look at that is a platform with curved edges to raise the already sky high center of gravity. It's tipping of the entire cart and car seat I'm worried about, not the seat falling off the cart.

I know people aren't going to stop doing it, but is enabling it really the solution when this, IMO, doesn't seem to be any safer anyway? Why not put better labeling on carts saying "It's pronounced car seat, not cart seat, and it does not click into a cart. Put it in the basket or bring a stroller". ..... They may adjust the wording ;)

nannykates

Why cant we just make a minivan cart (thats what we call the kind with the two kid seats behind) that docks the car seat as well.

Or better yet, get rid of the whole child compartment.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I was in the dairy aisle when a woman approached me and gave me the "helpful tip" that I could click my car seat up in the top seat of the cart.

In my book, unsolicited advice begets unsolicited advice.

I would have informed her that thousands of children are treated in emergency rooms every year for shopping cart injuries, and that one of the major contributors is putting infant seats up on top of shopping carts because they make the cart top-heavy and because they can slide off sideways even if they are "clipped" into place.

Unless I see a seat that is close to actually falling (which has happened a few times) I bite my tongue when I see people doing this in stores; but you come up and offer me advice I didn't ask for and all bets are off. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :p

In my book, unsolicited advice begets unsolicited advice. I would have informed her that thousands of children are treated in emergency rooms every year for shopping cart injuries, and that one of the major contributors is putting infant seats up on top of shopping carts because they make the cart top-heavy and because they can slide off sideways even if they are "clipped" into place. Unless I see a seat that is close to actually falling (which has happened a few times) I bite my tongue when I see people doing this in stores; but you come up and offer me advice I didn't ask for and all bets are off. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :p

This. 100%.

katymyers

In my book, unsolicited advice begets unsolicited advice. I would have informed her that thousands of children are treated in emergency rooms every year for shopping cart injuries, and that one of the major contributors is putting infant seats up on top of shopping carts because they make the cart top-heavy and because they can slide off sideways even if they are "clipped" into place. Unless I see a seat that is close to actually falling (which has happened a few times) I bite my tongue when I see people doing this in stores; but you come up and offer me advice I didn't ask for and all bets are off. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :p
Absolutely! I would have totally used that as a teaching moment. All car seats and almost every cart I've ever seen expressly forbid doing this which most people don't realize.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
In my book, unsolicited advice begets unsolicited advice.

I would have informed her that thousands of children are treated in emergency rooms every year for shopping cart injuries, and that one of the major contributors is putting infant seats up on top of shopping carts because they make the cart top-heavy and because they can slide off sideways even if they are "clipped" into place.

Unless I see a seat that is close to actually falling (which has happened a few times) I bite my tongue when I see people doing this in stores; but you come up and offer me advice I didn't ask for and all bets are off. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. :p

Yeah, I think I have to practice in case this happens again. At the time, I didn't know any statistics and I didn't even know about the top-heaviness factor. I just knew it wasn't a good idea.

Also, I just wanted to finish grocery-shopping and get home. :)

I think after I take the training and become a tech, I will feel more prepared to talk to strangers about car seat safety! At least I hope so, since that's kind of the whole gig... ;-)

bpirof

I was at the mall once, long before I knew about car seat safety.... A young girl had twins in baby trend seats.... One on the top of the cart and one *hanging* off of the handle.... Like literally the triangle part was hooked over the handle... It made me natious

Baylor

Yeah, I think I have to practice in case this happens again. At the time, I didn't know any statistics and I didn't even know about the top-heaviness factor. I just knew it wasn't a good idea.

Also, I just wanted to finish grocery-shopping and get home. :)

I think after I take the training and become a tech, I will feel more prepared to talk to strangers about car seat safety! At least I hope so, since that's kind of the whole gig... ;-)

I ordered a bunch of the car seat safety booklets from USAA. They are free and when I talked to people about it, I would just tell them to read the manual on the car and the seat, I gave them this web address and a booklet. I did help some friends with their car seats but not in an " IM AN EXPERT" kind of way but a friend just guiding a friend through the process.

I hope to take the course in April. I have been wanting to for years!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC