Vent Oh come on!

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I bought DS a new Nextfit today! And tonight he puked in it. Not spit up, full on vomit. Its horrible the harness and pads where covered! The smell is terrible.

What can I do? The harness isn't replaceable is it? Is this whole BRAND NEW seat trashed?

ETA: And DH thoroughly wiped them down with baby wipes before I got the baby cleaned up:( this is a nightmare.

ADS

jjordan

What timing. Maybe call Chicco in the morning and see what they say? The smell will almost certainly go away with enough time and sun. The baby wipes on the harness might be against the Chicco "rules" for cleaning. What does the manual say about cleaning?

So sorry! Barf in a car seat is NEVER fun, much less when it is brand new. :(

cookie123

OH, I'm so sorry. That's downright depressing. I hope you get it back to new! Sorry I don't have any Next Fit experience.

Mom2Connor

I like the next fit in theory but that is why I would never get one. Not being able to replace the harness would be a deal breaker for me. Sun isn't always an option depending on where you live.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
I like the next fit in theory but that is why I would never get one. Not being able to replace the harness would be a deal breaker for me. Sun isn't always an option depending on where you live.

Luckily I live in Mississippi so I'm ok on that part. I didn't even think about it until we got home and I realized it wasnt.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Ok, just got off the phone with Chicco. They are sending me the new harness covers since I have an Aug 13 DOM and she said to wipe the harness with a 20-30% vinegar to water solution and air dry. The harness covers are machine washable too. She also said that while they don't recommend baby wipes, she wouldn't do it anymore but not to worry about this one instance.

mykidsmom10

I don't have experience with a NextFit but we've had our fair share of vomit in car seats. Even after cleaning, the smell does stick around on the harness for a bit of time but it will go away! Sun and just letting it air out really really helps.

Baylor

They only way I got the smell out if my nautilus was to strip it hand wasn't the shell wash the cover and get a new harness. No matter what I did it still stank months later when the car got hot. It was hideous.

mish

I have no advice but I just have to say I'm so sorry. I had a puking incident weeks ago on a mattress and I seriously almost threw it away and just bought a new one. Cleaning up puke is quite possibly the worst thing about being a parent.

thekatie

Cleaning up puke is quite possibly the worst thing about being a parent.
Truth. If I can't con DH into cleaning puke, I have to have a bucket next to me to puke into myself while cleaning the kiddo's puke.

Ok, just got off the phone with Chicco. They are sending me the new harness covers since I have an Aug 13 DOM and she said to wipe the harness with a 20-30% vinegar to water solution and air dry. The harness covers are machine washable too. She also said that while they don't recommend baby wipes, she wouldn't do it anymore but not to worry about this one instance.
But, since you've got the official okay for a vinegar wash/wipe down, I think you'll be good. Vinegar and sunshine is the only thing that ever works for us. For maybe the next month after an incident I'll still faintly smell it when the car gets hot, but not overpowering and it does stop.

msg221

This is one reason I wouldn't buy one either (if I had a need for a convertible seat). That is one expensive seat to not be able to replace the harness.

I hope the vinegar/water solution and sun works for you!

YinzerMama

That sucks :(

The harness IS replaceable ... people have removed it at both ends and reattached. You're not SUPPOSED to but it's been done. I hope in time they may give the go ahead to do this and sell new harnesses. It is a huge oversight in a kid's item.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC