Boosters and Immovable Headrests

Lemonade

DH is considering a sedan that has non-moveable headrests in the backseat. I just tried our Monterey and it works fine but there is a flat triangle where it doesn't touch the vehicle seat - around the shoulder area of the child - because of the headrest. It's not a lot but probably could stick my arm in there. Is this an issue? He's pretty set on the car but I could veto it if need be. Are there other boosters to try. The same happens with the SGL. I tried the no-back (Santa Fe?) and wasn't happy with the fit. The seats are pretty banked. DS and DD are very close in size and will both need boosters for a while. I tried DS in the car with nothing and he's NOWHERE close to 5 stepping. The belt is all on his belly and nearly across his whole neck. DH would like the seats to go as soon as they can. He'll deal with it, but I'll get some grumbles:) I was thinking of getting him SGLs so he can easily pop them out with the push button release if he needs a seat for a work buddy. He would DIE trying to take the Monterey out with the basic style latch - the latch is rather buried and I had a hard time.
The kids have been in harnesses in his 03 forester because it's so narrow and hard to buckle a booster. They've all been looking forward to using boosters when daddy gets a new car. Worst case, they can maybe use the Frontiers in there but they are such beasts when he's got to move them. And DS is so done with the harness.

Thanks.

Funny story - realized in the test drive today - after we were on the turnpike for 20 minutes - that the sales guy in the back was unbuckled. DH was harassing this (guy was very friendly and joking) about how daring he is to go on test drives unbuckled. Guy made some comment about how it wasn't our worry. I said that we didn't particularly want a 150+ pound projectile coming at us. He buckled right up and apologized.

ADS

Pixels

Some boosters allow the gap as long as the seat is in contact at the bottom and top. Some don't. I don't know the Monterey's rule on this, sorry.

I know some boosters are more compatible with the forward-leaning head restraints than others, but again I don't know which ones those are. :eek:

Lemonade

Some boosters allow the gap as long as the seat is in contact at the bottom and top. Some don't. I don't know the Monterey's rule on this, sorry. I know some boosters are more compatible with the forward-leaning head restraints than others, but again I don't know which ones those are. :eek:

Thanks.

He's getting the car. So far per manuals no britax or diono, which is what own. Will be ordering some to try.

gigi

Try a nautilus. It works with my funky headrests. I don't like the seat much but it is the only HBB I could get a good installation with in my car.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The Clek Oobr has a recline mode that when used with LATCH allows a gap. It has the push release buttons. It works well in my car with immovable headrests, but it doesn't work well with the layout of the lower anchors and buckle stalks in DH's car. I'll be following along for all the suggestions. :)

Lemonade

Can't do nauti. My kids hate it and it needs to be just a booster and not heavy. My kids also hated the clek:(

I think there was still a gap with child with the Monterey.

I'll try to Turbo with safety surround. Both with and without latch. And the cambria when it comes out. I'll keep looking. I have a knowledge void when it comes to boosters so this is not a bad thing. I really wanted the sgls to have that sG strap option and push button latch. I will order a 2013 to see how it fits. I only have an older SGL.

Forced shopping....the horror.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think you know this already, but the 2013 Parkway SGL doesn't allow a gap.

Vehicle Head Restraints
Proper positioning of the booster seat may require adjusting or removing the vehicle head restraint to allow the backrest to lie flat against the vehicle seat back. If the vehicle head restraint
cannot be adjusted or removed, a different seating position or different booster seat should be used.

Lemonade

I think you know this already, but the 2013 Parkway SGL doesn't allow a gap.

I do. Read the manual online. I'm just holding out hope that it won't have one. (I know, I know). I need to look on here and find a comparison thread with old and new SGL. To see if there is any difference to the back. I can't do much at work but will search when I get home.

DH is at dealer now negotiating. Had an overnight test drive last night that allowed us to play with seats.

Lemonade

jess71903

Ambassador
I know this isn't what the thread is about, but really. This needs to be addressed. More and more new cars have forward tilting headrests. Booster makers need to either test and allow a gap, or make seats that are compatible. Continuing to make flat-backed boosters, and not allowing gaps when vehicle seats aren't flat is asinine.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I think some of the issue is these dedicated boosters often have flexible backs. So the gap can disappear when your kid is in the seat meaning it is giving the booster a C shaped back instead of a flat back. And the top is curving in towards your kids head. I don't know if this is fine or bad, and I'm guessing they haven't tested it or they have and it's bad.

So I wonder if stiffer backs might resolve the issue? I guess price may go up then as it would have more substance like a combo seat. Weight would go up as well.

Pixels

Having the top of the booster leaning forward at the head should be beneficial. There is a reason that the forward-leaning head restraints are required for adults.

Lemonade

Here is a pic of the Monterey. Not latched in and no kid.

View attachment 24536

View attachment 24537

I did try pushing back on the booster where the gap is and I think with enough force it would snap the plastic.

Talked to recaro on the phone and they sent me a manual but said it should be pretty flush. But its a seat that doesn't require headrest support so theoretically it should be stronger. They want me to send a picture of the Monterey so they can see what the issue is and further advise.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Having the top of the booster leaning forward at the head should be beneficial. There is a reason that the forward-leaning head restraints are required for adults.

I wasn't claiming it wasn't potentially beneficial. I know the reasons for forward leaning and active head restraints in a vehicle. But obviously the car
seat manufacturers haven't tested it or have and it's not safe.

And also, the seat may bend at different points depending on the height of the vehicle seat, vehicle headrest, and booster headrest height. So maybe there are just too many variables for testing in this situation? Or maybe they are just taking the easy way out. I don't know.

Lemonade

It's so annoying. Is there a diono rep here you could get an answer from?

The Diono manual was pretty clear. :( Besides, would be great it whatever gets put there has push button latch. The anchors are burried and with the Monterey's hooks are really hard to get in or out. DH is nothing if not impatient with stuff like that. There will be times he need to pop it out and put it in the trunk on the spot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC