Class help?

Aurezalia

So I'm taking a public speaking class this semester, and we've hit the point in the year that our "research projects" are starting - a series on speeches focusing on the same topic. We had one little news speech that introduced our topics; I am of course focusing on car seats. :p
So this first one coming up soon is the informative speech, the second is persuasive. It's supposed to be 4-7 minutes long, and should NOT be too broad a topic. I did my news speech on the LATCH changes that just went into effect, and also used it as a way to introduce some basic ideas about misuse rates and such (mostly LATCH misuse, to keep it on topic). For the persuasive (which is supposed to be more about how to solve the issues you address in the first two speeches) I'm thinking about focusing on extended RF'ing and PROPER booster use - not switching to or stopping use too early.

SO knowing all that, with only a 4-7 minute window in which I need to narrow down what I'm going to informatively address about car seat use (without infringing on the persuasive territory??) what would you choose to focus on? I'm just having issues narrowing it down. :eek:

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd make the main point reasons to err on the side of outgrowing each step rather than switching early. Yes, there are exceptions, but with ”typical use” that's an important message.

Aurezalia

I'd make the main point reasons to err on the side of outgrowing each step rather than switching early. Yes, there are exceptions, but with ”typical use” that's an important message.

I'll touch on it, but focusing on it is crossing over into the persuasive territory too much, IMO. The point of that is to persuade people to change what they're doing, which is the goal of the persuasive speech, but not the informative speech. I'm thinking of focusing on laying out "here are the most common types of misuse" and go through 1) wrong restraint (which will touch on the "don't move forward too fast" thing) 2) install issues 3) misuse of seat (such as harnessing improperly). And then... other stuff. Lots of numbers and stats??
I'm thinking I need to find the numbers for automobile injuries and deaths broken down by age... narrowed down to as locally as possible. Anyone have an idea where to look for stats like that? The more relevant I can make it to the local community, the better. :)

Keeyamah

I did an informative speech on "proper car seat use based on a child's physical and emotional development" which using that as my thesis allowed me to touch on ERF, harnessing until booster maturity reached and boostering until passing the 5-step test. I talked about bone development for ERF and showed some google images of seats that would allow kids to ERF to 2+ (it was a Graco snugride, Scenera, and a Radian), then I talked about combo seats for harnessing to ages 5-6 yrs old, I think I only showed a Frontier and Nautilus, then I explained proper booster usage and the 5-step test with some more google images to assist my explanation. I also had to have two real visual aids, so I had a booster that I showed how it went from a HBB to a NBB, and I forget what else I used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC