Just found out my sister came home from the hospital in a cardboard box!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I always thought of my parents as nearly-perfect. When they expressed surprise at some of my car-seat info (how long kids stay in car seats these days, etc), I figured it was just because things had changed so much, but that they had followed best practices of the time and been well-informed. As a kid I remembered them reading lots of parenting books and discussing parenting with their friends, etc.

I also remember riding in a car seat, so I figured my parents had followed all the best practices of the time.

So imagine my surprise when I found out last weekend that when they brought my sister home from the hospital, it was in a cardboard box -- placed on the floor behind the passenger seat for stability.

:eek:

At first I thought they were joking. That this must have been a device that was box-like, but was actually a car-bed because my sister was premature. No, it was the kind of box that you use to package reams of paper. In fact, my dad had brought it home from the office for this purpose.

So then I asked if he had brought it home in a hurry -- because they had been planning to buy a car seat, but because my sister came early they didn't have time? No. In fact, they didn't even think of it until their friend came to drive my mom and sister to the pediatrician and looked in their car and said, "uh...where's your car seat?"

I am in a total shock. When my MIL told me that they'd bought the car seat the day that she went into labor with her first, I thought that was really risky! Clearly my own parents were even less aware! I still can't believe that they went through the trouble of procuring a cardboard box in advance of my sister's arrival and placing it in a (relatively) secure location in the car, but didn't pick up a car seat. In 1981 they weren't unheard of, from what I can tell.

As my mom said, I am lucky I was the second child.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think car seats for infants were pretty unusual in 1981. Invented, yes, but not something you would just find on the shelf at Penny's. Lots of kids rode in laps until they could sit up, and then they went into those horrible things that looked like safety devices but would actually cut your kid in half if you got into a wreck. Putting baby on the floor in the back in a box was likely seen as overprotective by a lot of parents. LOL.

Dillipop

When my sister was born in 1977, the pediatrician told my parents to use the bassinet from their stroller on the floor of the backseat for the first couple of weeks before using the rearfacing seat they had. The justification he gave was that in an accident, she would just roll and be safer. I'm sure if they didn't have a bassinet, that a box would have been suggested.

amyd

I was born in 1981. I came home in my mom's arms in the front seat. We have pictures of me as an older infant (5-7 months I'd say) FFing in a bouncy seat that was strapped in with the lap belt in the back seat.

cookie123

My kids had carseats. The first was born in 1980. They must have been in stores because you couldn't order on the internet then! I recall getting the infant seat for my youngest at JCP but she was born in 1986. Just to add, the way the youngest was in there, she probably wouldn't have survived a crash! There's a photo around here! Lets just say she was born in February.

Also, my first baby slept in a card board box for a short time!

Last edited:

thekatie

I think car seats for infants were pretty unusual in 1981. Invented, yes, but not something you would just find on the shelf at Penny's. Lots of kids rode in laps until they could sit up, and then they went into those horrible things that looked like safety devices but would actually cut your kid in half if you got into a wreck. Putting baby on the floor in the back in a box was likely seen as overprotective by a lot of parents. LOL.

I know a LOT can change in just 3 years, and I also know that after almost 30 years memory can be hazy... But I was born in 1984 and had a seat from birth. I was born in NJ but we moved to TN when I was about 6-9 months. Mom told me that even then TN law required a restraint for babies (this is where memory comes into play, maybe she was wrong and they were just discussing it, or someone told her it was a good idea and she interpreted that as law? I don't know, never looked into restraint legislation history lol), but they had one before moving here. We have pictures of mom taking me into her office to visit and I said "oh was that my car seat?" since the thing looked just like an infant seat now (capsule shape with handle) and she told me no, that was just a carry cot, not approved for vehicles.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Oh, I know the seats existed, and some parents did get them. No, we didn't have the Internet then, but we DID have catalogs. So I'm not disputing that some parents brought newborns home in car seats in the early 80's or even before. It just wasn't very common. Most parents who bothered with car seats at all used them starting when kids were sitting up. I was born in 1974, and in my entire childhood I can't remember ANY of my friends' younger siblings having car seats of any kind. Although I had one as a toddler, I know. When I was a teenager and starting to babysit (late 80's), car seats were starting to become more commonplace. By the time my first kid was born in 1994, it was pretty much universal that kids under the age of 2-3 rode in car seats (from birth); it was the law that kids under 40 lbs needed to be in a child restraint of some kind. I took it a step further and put my kids in boosters after 40 lbs., but nobody else I knew did that. ;)

I also had one of those carry buckets for my babies that wasn't for use in a car. Not sure how old it was. I do remember stickers all over it warning not to use it in a vehicle.

Baylor

I came home from Texas to Pa in a cardboard box. It was in the 60's. They tucked the box behind the seat on the floor and that's how I came home.

Last edited:

1mommy

Wow... I should ask my parents what I came home from the hospital in some time, but I'm almost afraid to ask... lol I was born in 1983.

robbertbobbert

I remember my grandma telling me that my mom came home from the hospital in a laundry basket (1951). The next 3 kids went in a bassinet on the back seat but I was just flabbergasted about the laundry basket when she told me this.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wow... I should ask my parents what I came home from the hospital in some time, but I'm almost afraid to ask... lol I was born in 1983.

Yeah, I had asked my parents about car seats at other times and they mentioned several types that they had -- never mentioned not having one from birth, so I just assumed that there wasn't a time when we were unrestrained.

YinzerMama

I was born in 77. We had a car seat, I remember playing with it... in the basement. I have no memory ever of it being in the car. I broke my hip when I was 4 so a lot of my childhood memories are placed in time according to was it BEFORE I broke my hip or AFTER - which is a kind of handy placement device in retrospect. I remember BEFORE - I went to a preschool near my mom's work when I was 2 and early 3 - I rode in her lap and pretended to drive. I don't know if it was every day that I did that but I have some very clear memories of it. There was an arm rest on the bench seat of our station wagon that I sometimes sat on if we were in that car (front seat). I actually thought it was a kiddie seat. So I know that by 2-3, I definitely was not in a car seat in the car.

My brother and I used to sit/lay/play in the very back of the station wagon, opened flat, to drive to south carolina in the summers. We kept luggage and a cooler stashed in the middle row seat. My parents stuck me in the very back there for all the months I was in the spica cast for my hip. As invested in car seats as I am at the moment, to be honest, I am glad I did NOT have to ride in a car seat in that thing. I am sure I'd have been better off from a safety standpoint but I was much comfier lying down.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know a LOT can change in just 3 years, and I also know that after almost 30 years memory can be hazy... But I was born in 1984 and had a seat from birth. I was born in NJ but we moved to TN when I was about 6-9 months. Mom told me that even then TN law required a restraint for babies (this is where memory comes into play, maybe she was wrong and they were just discussing it, or someone told her it was a good idea and she interpreted that as law? I don't know, never looked into restraint legislation history lol), but they had one before moving here. We have pictures of mom taking me into her office to visit and I said "oh was that my car seat?" since the thing looked just like an infant seat now (capsule shape with handle) and she told me no, that was just a carry cot, not approved for vehicles.

Tennessee was the first state to have a child restraint law :thumbsup:

NVMBR02

I was born in 1980 and had a car seat from birth apparently. However, I hated it so my mom usually held me unless she was driving. :rolleyes: I know my youngest sister (born in 1985) used a booster seat until she was 4. After that she sat on a phone book, so she could see better.

We all sat in the back of my uncle's cargo van with no seats in it. All 13 of us cousins. Either there, or 7-9 of us crammed in the back of my aunt's station wagon or the bed of my grand mother's pick up truck (with the shell on). Yeah.

I know my grandmother used a basket on the floor for all 4 of her kids, but that would have been in the mid to late 50s.

Last edited:

kam1011

I was also born in 1981 and I know my parents had a car seat in the basement for a while that I used to play with my dolls in, but when I was 3 I regularly rode in the front seat with a seatbelt. My aunt watched me during the day, same aunt who watched all of my kids, and as I would drop my kids off I'd have flashbacks of the morning commute in my mom's Plymouth from the front. My dad was a police officer and was super anal about everyone wearing seatbelts.

And if we went anywhere with Aunt Marie, it was 6 kids strapped together inside one lap belt in the way back of the van. In fact, I remember being shocked in drivers ed class that that isn't an okay thing to do anymore! lol

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Another 81 baby here, and I came home in a "pumpkin seat," aka, infant carseat-equce device. My parents were so so offended when I told them what I know about CPS... "We bought the best seats on the market at the time!"

kathysr98

I was born in 1980. I came home in my mother's lap, but rode in a GM Love Seat for a while. It couldn't have been too long, though, since my mom got a Corvette when I was 3, and I remember riding on the back deck of it! By the time I was five they were more strict about seatbelts, excepts when I was riding in the sleeper of my dad's truck on long drives.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC