Current Canadian Combination (harness/booster) Seats?

geekKT

Hi all!

My DS is just shy of four now and still riding RF in an RXT 90% of the time. I'm more than ready to flip him full time and I can do so in the RXT but am wondering what else is out there. I haven't been paying attention at all. I'd potentially like to free up the RXT or my TFP for a spare seat. (Baby DD still happily rides in the TFP at 18.5 lbs)

Relevant info - DS is tall but not insanely so. ~36 lbs. Maturity-wise I expect he will be best in a harness for at least another year or two. Vehicles in question are a 2006 Sedona and a 2014 Focus. I'm in Canada.

I have been eyeing up the Frontier CT for a while since I think it would be awesome for the times I need his seat moved to the Focus. Realistically though it's not that often and I probably don't need to spend that much to get a perfectly usable solution.

Aside from the CT and the Nautilus, what else should I look at? I'm not well versed in the other varieties of the Frontier, either.

Thanks!

ADS

Keeks64

I can't comment on the Pinnacle but I *pink sparkly heart love* my Frontier CT <3

My DS is 5y6m & just hit 40lbs - beyond short torso & the FR is 100% overkill but the ease of install with the CT is worth every penny! It's a great seat overall too! No complaints other than the seat pad cover comes loose sometimes ..... DS can easily buckle himself too which is awesome!

Other than the Radian, Nauitlus & Frontier/Pinnacle the other only tall harnessed seat would the Evenflo Sureride - it's nice, easy to install .... Basic though :) it has a pretty narrow harness which can be uncomfortable for bigger/older kids but it would be worth trying your DS in & see if he likes it :) it's fairly narrow too & lightweight! Toysrus & sears carry it for $138 & Walmart has it for $99 but it's called "titan65" vs SureRide. Same exact seat but Walmart has laid claim to the hideous covers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Olga

The Evenflo SureRide is a tall convertible but if you want the booster functionality too then the Evenflo SecureKid may be worth a look.

Keeanh

I like the Frontier (I have the old one, haven't played with the CT yet). But honestly, unless you have $$ to burn and LOVE the seat, it's not really necessary anymore. If you need the harness height, get a Sureride / Titan 65 for $100 and sell it when you're done with it. I don't like combination seats as booster seats. Especially the Frontier. It's so wide that even big kids swim in it and it's awkward to buckle. A Sureride + nice booster would cost far less than the Frontier. Maybe even less than the Securekid. Plus you could get some $$ back if you sold the Sureride (or one of your other convertibles) when you were done with it.

canadiangie

I would probably just leave ds in his Radian ff because it will get him to good booster age and weight. Then buy him a dedicated booster because I can only imagine where boosters will be two years from now.

Use the TFP as your spare because its relatively easy to install either rf or ff and has infinite harness adjust.

If you are willing to spend $339 on a Frontier CT you could buy something new for dd with it. I'm head over heels for my new Peg convertible. I think it's $349. My 39 inch, 34lb, size 4T wearing, 3.5yo still has 1 click to go before she's using the highest useable rf position. It sounds like your dd is on the petite side so I bet she would last a good long time rf..

Eta- hmmm, did you sell your neutral TFP cover when you got your girly cover? Did you end up with Cranberry? Just thinking maybe you don't want the TFP as your spare if, for example, it's the yellow/pink cover. I don't have boys so no idea if that stuff actually matters.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Ya I was going to saying something similar to Angie. I'd put him FF in either the Radian or the TF, which ever one gives him more growth room (I can't remember which) and then get a dedicated booster when the time comes. Put your DD in the remaining seat.

Combination seats are always an unknown since you have no idea if and when the booster will fit your child properly. And they typically make heavy, wide boosters.

I'm not quite getting why you need another seat, but I also agree to look at the Peg convertible. It rocks.

If you had crappy FF convertibles I'd suggest otherwise but both seats you have make a really nice FF seat and fit for a decent amount of time.

tiggercat

I disliked my RXT FF, so I got Sam a FRct. It took a while but I am coming to love it. Titan65 is my spare, and I find it a pain with the flimsy straps and continuous harness.

geekKT

You all rock, thank you. Some great suggestions here.
I like the Frontier (I have the old one, haven't played with the CT yet). But honestly, unless you have $$ to burn and LOVE the seat, it's not really necessary anymore.
That's kind of where I'm at. I don't feel like I need it; I think I can come up with another solution.
I would probably just leave ds in his Radian ff because it will get him to good booster age and weight. Then buy him a dedicated booster because I can only imagine where boosters will be two years from now. Use the TFP as your spare because its relatively easy to install either rf or ff and has infinite harness adjust. If you are willing to spend $339 on a Frontier CT you could buy something new for dd with it. I'm head over heels for my new Peg convertible. I think it's $349. My 39 inch, 34lb, size 4T wearing, 3.5yo still has 1 click to go before she's using the highest useable rf position. It sounds like your dd is on the petite side so I bet she would last a good long time rf.. Eta- hmmm, did you sell your neutral TFP cover when you got your girly cover? Did you end up with Cranberry? Just thinking maybe you don't want the TFP as your spare if, for example, it's the yellow/pink cover. I don't have boys so no idea if that stuff actually matters.
You've got a good memory! Yes, DD is on the small side and still fits in the TFP without the headrest by both height and weight. That's the main reason I am keeping her there. I've got a pink polka dot cover for it that she uses, but I have the original grey one around too. DS would dislike being in it more because he sees the TFP as 'hers' now rather than because of the color if I left it.
I really like the idea of buying her something else and him a dedicated booster down the road though. It makes a lot of sense... maybe I should check out the Peg. :whistle:
Ya I was going to saying something similar to Angie. I'd put him FF in either the Radian or the TF, which ever one gives him more growth room (I can't remember which) and then get a dedicated booster when the time comes. Put your DD in the remaining seat. Combination seats are always an unknown since you have no idea if and when the booster will fit your child properly. And they typically make heavy, wide boosters. I'm not quite getting why you need another seat, but I also agree to look at the Peg convertible. It rocks. If you had crappy FF convertibles I'd suggest otherwise but both seats you have make a really nice FF seat and fit for a decent amount of time.
You're correct - I really don't need another seat. :) I've got 2 kids and 2 seats that work well for us. I've just had a few instances lately where I've had an extra kid, or a mom friend and her baby, or I need DS very temporarily in the Focus and it would be nice to have the spare. That's where freeing up the TFP makes a lot of sense. Thanks again, all. :love: I'll do some hunting here and think about my options.

Olga

I've just had a few instances lately where I've had an extra kid, or a mom friend and her baby, or I need DS very temporarily in the Focus and it would be nice to have the spare.

In that case I would personally consider the SureRide that was mentioned above (or the Titan 65 which is the cheaper version). It's pretty versatile I think so should work either as a temp seat for your kids or guests of a variety of ages. Plus it's inexpensive so if you don't get much use out of it, no biggie. I think we got ours for $70 on sale at BestBuy if I recall correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC