Caroline's story...

WillnCaroline

I was reading last night, thinking about what all I learned in class y'day when I noticed my siggy. It had my little boy, Will's age, height, weight and seat. It also had my little girls stats.

Thats when it hit me. After realizing that I put Will (4 1/2) in danger by turning him around too soon, I kind of became a car seat freak. Since then, I've done everything humanly possible to protect my children from the #1 killer, MVAs. I research the best seat, have them installed by cpst's in the most safe mini-van I can find. I take my vehicle for regular check ups to make sure its the most safe it can be for my precious cargo. I also (try to) drive them as safely as possible.

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine my child dying. Of anything, but especially of something other than the #1 killer. Although, technically, I guess you could say she died in a MVA.

My husband is the owner of a small bulldozer grading business. He has 4 tractors. The kids have been around bulldozers, skidsteers, backhoes, etc since birth.

The Friday of labor day weekend, we had been having a family yardsale. It was a long day. After the sale, I took the kids to pick up pizza. We were all hot, tired, dirty and hungry so the kids had dinner at the living room coffee table while I ordered (our new regent carseats, ironically) and my husband cut grass.

The kids were playing between their plates of dinner that were of no interest and a pile of dirt that they dig in. About the same time they went out, I heard the lawnmower turn off and the bulldozer turn on.

I didnt think a thing in this world about that. Probably 3-4 nights per week the 3 of them would go on tractor rides around our property.

Thinking the kids had gone in with me, Michael began doing some bulldozer work. Between the time he started the tractor and began working, the kids had walked up. When he looked behind him, he didnt see anything. Then, from the side, he saw Will screaming. He stopped and realized what had happened.

Caroline was behind the bulldozer when Michael began working.

I'm in EMT school. I am far from knowledgable but I do know some things. I was able to begin CPR on Caroline. I was also able to recognize the signs and I knew that there was going to be nothing to do to save her. By the time the paramedics arrived, she no longer had a pulse. The paramedics and docs worked on her for almost 2 hours.

Life will never be the same but I decided shortly after that I have 2 options... A. sink into a depression, climb into bed, cry non-stop and let my family fall apart as a result or B. pick up the pieces a little at a time, go about life and try our best to continue to raise the child we still have in a healthy environment. Its hard.

Anyway, that is Caroline's story and this is a website I started during my pregnancy with her:
http://www.babyhomepages.net/babygirlcooley/index.php

ADS

LuvBug

Im so sorry for your loss.
I saw a lovely youtube tribute to her.
I cant imagine how hard it must be, but to continue becoming an EMT and training to be a CPST- That will honor her life very much.
Hugs to you and yours.

MomToEliEm

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your precious little girl. You sound like a very strong woman and I hope from this tragedy, you are able to bring forth great things to this world that your little girl would be very proud of.

mcomommy

I am so sorry. Thank you for sharing your story. You are very brave and strong, and you and your family will be in my prayers.

Last edited:

Mom to a few

I'm so sorry about your little girl. It's hard to imagine the level of pain that you and your family must be feeling right now :(. Like others have said, your determination to become a CPST and EMT is amazing. Many of us would probably choose the "climb into bed" option...To be able to move through the pain to help other people shows so much courage. Thanks for being willing to share her story. {{Many hugs}}

thepote

oh my goodness -- I'm so sorry for your loss of precious Caroline! I hope you and your husband and son can find peace and happiness again soon. I'm sure even though she was little she would have wanted that for you.

Please don't forget to take care of yourself and your needs during this difficult time.
((hugs))

ZephyrBlue

Thank you for sharing Caroline's story and her beautiful pictures. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious little girl. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am so sorry this happened to your sweet DD. I can't begin to imagine what your family is going through. You are all in my thoughts.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts & prayers are with your family. I can't imagine the pain that you must be going through. Your courage to move on is amazing to me. (((HUGS)))

crunchierthanthou

I'm sitting here in tears for you. I admire your strength. Our newborn daughter died earlier this year and I have to fight the urge to choose the stay in bed option often. I don't think I could survive the death of my pre-school aged child. ((Hugs)) I am so very, very sorry for the tragic loss of your beautiful Caroline.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC