Cybex Q-Fix -- anyone have one yet?

AK Dad

Anyone had hands-on one of these bad boys yet? Sadly, I'm returning the Oobr - just couldn't get my daughter to sit in it without slouching for some reason, so now I'm looking for something new.

She's got a Parkway SGL, which I like, but I wanted to try something more "significant" feeling, and with rigid LATCH.
Both the Rodifix and Cruiserfix concern me because of the (apparently) un-reinforced EPS foam SIP wings (confirmed as being weak on the Cruiserfix, suspect at least on the Rodifix) - anyone know if the Q-Fix has any fatal flaw like that?

ADS

HaileysMommy

From my tons of research on it it's like a freaking rock. I have been in contact with Regal Lager for like 2 weeks now trying to get the dang seat with the tech discount but I can't get anyone to actually get back with me about it. I've been passed between a couple of people as getting frustrating. But hopefully I will have one in the next week and I will do a review on it.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It definitely feels sturdy. Perhaps not quite as solid as the Oobr, but the wings do have a ventilated plastic shell on the outside of the EPS foam. I may be able to compare to a Rodifix in a week or two. Here's an out take video from our review that will probably appear at CarseatBlog in April. So far I really like it, but I withhold final judgment until I've used it a bit longer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLzZpCZns10"]Q-FIx LSP Out Take - YouTube[/ame]

PikkuMyy

It definitely feels sturdy. Perhaps not quite as solid as the Oobr, but the wings do have a ventilated plastic shell on the outside of the EPS foam. I may be able to compare to a Rodifix in a week or two. Here's an out take video from our review that will probably appear at CarseatBlog in April. So far I really like it, but I withhold final judgment until I've used it a bit longer.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLzZpCZns10

Best review ever! ;)

I didn't know there was another awesome looking booster coming out. Ahhh! What's the price point going to be for one of these bad boys?

ETA: Googled the price tag. I think I'll need to win one. Hah

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Make sure you lint-roll that bad boy.

Seriously! Why must cats inhabit carseats? You don't see my dogs crawling all over my carseats. :p But they made for a great video!

YK, Darren, we should have an outtakes channel. I'm sure folks would enjoy seeing just how many takes and, er, mutterings it takes to make these videos. Definitely not safe for America's Funniest Home Videos ;).

thekatie

Ahhh! Kitteh attackz! You have some seriously beautiful cats :) :love:

I like the way this seat looks. I can never figure out if I should stick with being bummed I don't have a kid in the right age / weight / height range for a fun, awesome booster, or happy that (hopefully, in theory) even funnER and awesomER boosters will be out when J2 is ready.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Ahhh! Kitteh attackz! You have some seriously beautiful cats :) :love:

The white cat just loves to cuddle with the other one. To the point to where he effectively pushes her out of prime sleeping spots that don't have enough room for both of them because she wants it to herself.

On the plus side, while I'm very sad that Jon is likely nearing the end of his video helper days, I now have two very eager cats to assist with unboxing and feature demonstrations!

AK Dad

I have been in contact with Regal Lager for like 2 weeks now trying to get the dang seat with the tech discount but I can't get anyone to actually get back with me about it. I've been passed between a couple of people as getting frustrating. But hopefully I will have one in the next week and I will do a review on it.

Hope you got yours or it's at least on the way - just got the shipment notification today! Scheduled to arrive Thursday! Shipping to AK ate up all of the savings from the Tech discount, but that's cool I guess - I'm spoiled with Amazon always giving free shipping!

HaileysMommy

Oh wow that video was awesome!

Hope you got yours or it's at least on the way - just got the shipment notification today! Scheduled to arrive Thursday! Shipping to AK ate up all of the savings from the Tech discount, but that's cool I guess - I'm spoiled with Amazon always giving free shipping!

I haven't even ordered mine yet :-( I'm waffling now about just leaving DD in the ProSport for now or moving to a booster.

mykidsmylife

Don't know. I have never utilized it and can't find info. Lol. I have tried contacting cybex a few times with no response so figured I would ask. Thank you. I will delete in case. Feel free to do the same. Thank you. :)

AK Dad

So, I just got the Q-Fix last night, and overall it's very solid feeling and impressively "high-end" as expected, although I haven't had time to play with it much yet. A couple of things that are a bit annoying though:
1) The LSP side-impact pads weren't in the box.
2) The service life according to the manual is only 7 years. This was something I specifically researched because I wanted to make sure for such an expensive seat it wasn't going to expire too soon. The "global" manual was the only one I could find online and it says:

"DURABIlITy OF THE PRODUCT
the child seat is designed to fulfil its purpose for an expected service life of up to 9 years. However, since cars can be exposed to high fluctuations in temperature and unforeseeable stresses, please take note of the following points:
• If the car is exposed to direct sunlight for a longer period of time, the child seat must be taken out of the car or covered with a light cloth.
• examine all plastic and metal parts of the seat for any damage or changes in form or colour on an annual basis. If you notice any changes, the child seat must be disposed of or examined by the manufacturer and replaced if necessary.
• changes to the fabric, in particular colour fading, are normal after years of use in a car and do not constitute a fault."

So, I was expecting 9 years, since I'm 99.99% sure this is identical to the european model. I know manufacturers in the past have gone back and retroactively extended the service life, so hopefully Regal Lager will do that at some point.

Anyway, first road trip down to go skiing today, so more to come!

newyorkDOC

Is there a side by side review with the X fix?
I've been looking for one too but can't find it and just flipped back and forth on the cybex site. I need to buy a booster for DD and was all set on the x2-fix so wanted to compare. The q-fix looks a lot wider due to the side impact. So probably a no go in my Prius as I sometimes need to squeeze between the kids.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I've seen both but didn't think to get a comparison shot at ABC. Sorry! Q-fix is considerably wider at the top - just beefier in general. And it's taller than X-Fix when you measure to the max belt guide height.

FYI - we have a full review of X-fix on the blog that we updated recently now that it's available again: http://carseatblog.com/5971/the-cybex-solution-x-fix-booster-review/

To my knowledge, they haven't made any major changes since it was first introduced here and then discontinued, but I'll confirm that with our contacts at Regal-Lager.

Athena

So, I just got the Q-Fix last night

Where'd you find one? This is a newly released seat, right? Do you know the top shoulder height? I can't buy anything shorter than the SGL for my tall kids and am looking to see if anything narrower at the belt path has been released. thanks!

• If the car is exposed to direct sunlight for a longer period of time, the child seat must be taken out of the car or covered with a light cloth.

Weird. Wouldn't that be true at times for everybody?

AK Dad

Where'd you find one? This is a newly released seat, right? Do you know the top shoulder height? I can't buy anything shorter than the SGL for my tall kids and am looking to see if anything narrower at the belt path has been released. thanks!

I got mine directly from Cybex, and you're right, it's really hard to find otherwise.

So, the top shoulder height is 21" MINUS TWO FINGERS ... really. The measurement to the bottom of the headrest wings and belt guide is right at 21" BUT there's a note in the owner's manual that says:

"ONLY use this booster seat with the bottom of the Head Protection positioned at two fingers width above child's shoulders."

I personally find imprecise measurements like that really annoying -- whose fingers? Andre the Giant's, or my 18-month old's? A 5th percentile female's, or a 99th percentile male's?

Anyway, the bigger thing I'm disappointed with at this point is that it's not going to work in our '11 Honda Pilot - the belt stalks are too long and the latch plate interferes with the belt path. :( It'll have to go in our secondary vehicle, an '07 Sierra which has flush/rigid belt stalks. It would also probably work in the 3rd row of the Pilot, but I don't want her there, so for now I'm putting her back in Olli in 2nd row.

Once I get a bit more caught up around the house I'll try to take some pictures and compare with the Parkway ...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC