News Child alert system

ADS

Baylor

Okay, So I am not a tech but can see many issues with the seat provided and such. I am sure it would have to pass all the standards... But This is not a car seat manufacturer.. It would be great if there was a pad that could go in every child seat that would do the same thing. I think anything that will save a baby's life is great.

Brianna

Well I got to the part where they had moms talking about preventing kids from dying, and I couldn't get past the fact they showed a clip of mom removing a baby that did not look to be at least 12 months old from a forward facing seat.

Also, the alarm will go off every time the driver gets out? That would be annoying. What about when the driver gets out to pump gas? Or if there is a passenger in the front or back seat supervising while the driver runs into the store? The only way to turn the alarm off is to take the child out of the seat? Yikes.

The First Years has their iAlert car seat which requires a smart phone, but it's customizable how you want your alerts.

jacqui276

I couldn't get past that little baby in a forward facing seat either. While it is cool that it turns on the air conditioning and such, that beep every single time I got out of my car would drive me insane. I have to get out of my seat to unbuckle DS to pop him out so that means that that alarm will sound every single time...

Adventuredad

Never underestimate how stupid people can be. Keeping an infant forward facing and then worrying about forgetting the child in the car? Laughable.

I also found this totally ridiculous:

All it takes is a small distraction to forget that there’s a child in the back seat

Really? Does it really feel like you, a normal responsible parent, could forget your child for the smallest distraction? One phone call and you forget that you have a child? Seriously? Anyone with this problem is either drunk or has some serious mental issues. Likely both. What is wrong with parents? Or the person making this stuff up.

Kids dying in hot cars is tragic but it's extremely unusual for it to happen to a "normal" parent. The parents who forget kids in the car almost exclusively have little interest in parenting and rather get drunk, high or have some other excuse.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You're extremely wrong about that, Adventuredad. Many cases of children left in cars occur when the parent who isn't normally responsible for the child experiences a change in routine. It's a tragic, horrible mistake, and not something any parent is automatically immune from, no matter how loving and responsible they are: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html

This system and ones like it aren't designed for the people who leave their kids in the car so they can go gamble. They're designed for parents who realize they're human and want to avoid a terrible mistake.

koda&phiasmama

Never underestimate how stupid people can be. Keeping an infant forward facing and then worrying about forgetting the child in the car? Laughable. I also found this totally ridiculous: . Really? Does it really feel like you, a normal responsible parent, could forget your child for the smallest distraction? One phone call and you forget that you have a child? Seriously? Anyone with this problem is either drunk or has some serious mental issues. Likely both. What is wrong with parents? Or the person making this stuff up. Kids dying in hot cars is tragic but it's extremely unusual for it to happen to a "normal" parent. The parents who forget kids in the car almost exclusively have little interest in parenting and rather get drunk, high or have some other excuse.

This is way way way off ! The article a pp linked is an excellent eye opening read ! Brought me to tears a while back when it was first mentioned.

I'm just a normal loving parent not plagued by any illness or addiction and I have severe anxiety about forgetting a child in the car especially when I was a single mom to my first baby working long hours as a waitress just the everyday stress of life would leave me distracted and I would have black outs of memory driving home at night I absolutely see how it can happen to your everyday parents. Now I live a less stressful life and have 3 kids it's seems more unlikely now because I always have at least 1 child with me checking the back seat is an everyday every time I leave the car task it's almost ritual now but if you think your invincible to this tragedy you leave your self vulnerable to it.

MommyShannon

It's absolutely possible for "normal" people to make a horrible mistake. Several years ago, we were visiting my parents. My mom and I were at my dad's house with the kids and DH was at a condo we had rented to stay in on a lake. We decided to drop the kids off at the condo with DH so my mom and I could go grab some groceries. When we got to the condo, DH got 2 kids out but the baby was sleeping. I said not to worry. I'd take her so he could fish with the bigger ones. We got to the store and started going in before I remembered we had kept her and went running back. It was a cool day, not sunny. We were in total shock we could do that. My mom and I are safety nuts. We just had it in our heads it was just us going. I didn't get out at the condo so I didn't have that feeling of "I just buckled someone in". I can't explain it, but "I could NEVER forget a child" and I did and so did my mom. I agree that normal people wouldn't purposely leave a child in the car, but normal, loving people can make terrible mistakes. Thinking it can't happen to you is the most dangerous thing you can do.

Never underestimate how stupid people can be. Keeping an infant forward facing and then worrying about forgetting the child in the car? Laughable. I also found this totally ridiculous: . Really? Does it really feel like you, a normal responsible parent, could forget your child for the smallest distraction? One phone call and you forget that you have a child? Seriously? Anyone with this problem is either drunk or has some serious mental issues. Likely both. What is wrong with parents? Or the person making this stuff up. Kids dying in hot cars is tragic but it's extremely unusual for it to happen to a "normal" parent. The parents who forget kids in the car almost exclusively have little interest in parenting and rather get drunk, high or have some other excuse.

This is far from accurate. It is absolutely possible for a "normal" parent to forget their child in a vehicle. I would like to see evidence to support your last statement, as well.

MotoMommaNH

It's absolutely possible for "normal" people to make a horrible mistake... Thinking it can't happen to you is the most dangerous thing you can do.

Exactly that. Thinking that way is the same thing as not buckling up or wearing helmets etc, because, "ahh we will never crash, fall off a bike, etc...."

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The case mainly profiled in the article above occurred very near my work. It was very big news here for a long time, and people were angry. Very angry. The interesting thing is that they weren't angry at the father who so tragically forgot his son was in his car.

Instead...

They were angry at themselves for thinking it could never happen to them, for thinking that they were "above" every making a such a mistake, and for judging another. They were angry that it happened, and that a child, a family, and a community suffered so. They were angry that a family was so tragically torn apart, and that the father was feeling so overwhelming guilty for what was an honest accident/mistake (there is no word to capture what it was). They were angry that the country from which the child was adopted considered halting adoptions as a sort of "punishment" for the accident/mistake.

They were angry. Just angry. And sad. Overwhelmingly sad. Hopelessly sad. Nothing would bring that baby back, and prosecuting (and persecuting) the father for something he did with no malice, and no intentional negligence, would not fix anything.

It is easy to say, "It will never happen to me," but it is far harder to admit, "It could have been me." It is easy to judge others, but it is far harder to forgive them.

Baylor

I really think the seat was just like that for demonstration reasons. I don't remember driving with the child that way..

So I will cut them slack.

I am a responsible loving mother and I have told the story before when my dd's school was closed and I drove her to work with me and she laid down and I forgot she was there. I had no recollection until she popped up when I hit a bump.

It happens. And you don't have to be responsible for it to happen to you.

Brianna

Whether they actually drove with the child forward facing or not isn't really relevant. This concept is all about safety- saving a child's life in the vehicle- and that clip sends the message that it's fine to have an infant forward facing, just don't forget them in the vehicle.

Keeanh

I just want to say that it gives me a really creepy icky feeling when I read the INCREDIBLE level of judgement that raises its ugly head around this subject. It's like it's the one unforgivable sin of child rearing. What about all the kids who drown? Does the country rise up with pitchforks in hand every time an unsupervised child falls in a pond or swimming pool? What about the kids who die because their parents KNOWINGLY allow them to skate or ride bikes or skateboard without helmets? Those parents don't find themselves named in international news media and crucified on every possible internet forum. Parents beat their children to death and it doesn't show up in the news. Even on the subject of car safety, where is the media shaming every time a child is improperly restrained? It's rarely even mentioned. Awareness is one thing. Holier-than-thou judgement & internet witch hunts is quite another.

Adventuredad, I would just ask you to reflect on the times you've overlooked something, or forgotten something, and be grateful that those moments didn't destroy your life. Some people are not so fortunate.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
FF at age one/20/22 is still pretty damn common in North America. It's legally allowed and many, many people do not know that there is a better way. Has anyone who is worried about that in the video sent a message to the creator politely letting them know about rear facing and the message that FF a young one is sending? I'd like to think that the creators are completely oblivious that there is a different way. Heck laws are sometimes phrased like you HAVE to FF your child at 1/20/22.

J-max

CPST Instructor
Never underestimate how stupid people can be. Keeping an infant forward facing and then worrying about forgetting the child in the car? Laughable.

I also found this totally ridiculous:

Really? Does it really feel like you, a normal responsible parent, could forget your child for the smallest distraction? One phone call and you forget that you have a child? Seriously? Anyone with this problem is either drunk or has some serious mental issues. Likely both. What is wrong with parents? Or the person making this stuff up.

Kids dying in hot cars is tragic but it's extremely unusual for it to happen to a "normal" parent. The parents who forget kids in the car almost exclusively have little interest in parenting and rather get drunk, high or have some other excuse.

I have been drunk less than 5 times in my life, and NEVER been high. I am a CPST, and passionate about child safety. And 2.5 years ago I forgot my child in the car. It was one of the most horrible feelings I have ever felt. My child was fine, but it very easily could have been tragically different.

This is a subject I have also become passionate about. I do understand exactly how easy it is to forget your child when you are tired and out of routine. I can throw every excuse out, but we were lucky. I still have nightmares about what could have happened.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Part of what puts kids at risk of dying in hot cars is parents thinking, "It could never happen to me." The Washington Post article is an excellent read - I read it every couple of years so that I can remember. I discuss it with every parent at every seat check, and make my own practice of leaving an important item (backpack) on the rear floorboard. I have never forgotten a kid (forgotten to buckle, yes, forgotten in a car, no,) but despite the fact that I teach and preach it, I practice precautions myself.

Perhaps in other countries, only drunk, high, or poor parents forget their kids. But here in the US, it's wonderful, loving, busy, distracted parents. And pretending otherwise only puts those kids at risk.

jacqui276

FF at age one/20/22 is still pretty damn common in North America. It's legally allowed and many, many people do not know that there is a better way. Has anyone who is worried about that in the video sent a message to the creator politely letting them know about rear facing and the message that FF a young one is sending? I'd like to think that the creators are completely oblivious that there is a different way. Heck laws are sometimes phrased like you HAVE to FF your child at 1/20/22.

I could be way off but that baby looked a fair bit younger than 12 months to me, which is why it caught me off guard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC