10yo, incognito in cruze and explorer (pic heavy)

D&L's-mommy

we just got our incognitos (did we ever decide on an abbreviation?)
DS will be 10 next month, he's 4' 7", 85lbs fully dressed
he's been riding in a connext in the explorer, nbb affix in the cruze, he's quite squished in them, and I've noticed the lap belt on both is now flat on his thighs, so I thought it's time to try a different seat. I also want to note that DS has spina bifida, he's had a lot of surgery on his abdomen and has slight scoliosis, so he is built a bit different than most kids and has quite a short torso. any thoughts would be appreciated. I love the incognito in the explorer, torn on it in the cruze, but he's just too big for his other seats

2006 ford explorer, with no booster, he's not quite 5 stepping though pretty close, but the lap belt rides up

explorer with incognito, it looks like there's a lot of space between his shoulder and the lap belt, it's just because he's leaned out of the way so I could take this pic

2013 chevy cruze, no booster, he's still got a while to grow before he 5 steps here, imo

cruze with incognito

imo, the lap belt still looks kinda high in this pic

ADS

Pixels

He is getting choose but not quite there in the first pic. Looks great with the Incognito.

All of the pictures in the Cruze are bad.

<snip> and I've noticed the lap belt on both is now flat on his thighs, so I thought it's time to try a different seat.

I just want to address this. The lap belt is supposed to be flat on his thighs, touching the hips.

D&L's-mommy

even though hes close to 5 stepping in the explorer, I plan to use the incognito for at least a year, then re evaluate.
when you say the pics in the cruze are bad you mean the belt fit is bad as opposed to the pics make it hard to tell? irl I can feel the top of his hip bone above the lap belt, though it does seem a bit high to me, but not as high as it looks in this pic. Ill try to get a better pic when I have a chance
I thought the lap belt was supposed to be across the hips, not flat down across the thighs? In the affix the lap belt is so low it does not even touch his hip bone. I didnt think to take a pic

Baylor

even though hes close to 5 stepping in the explorer, I plan to use the incognito for at least a year, then re evaluate.
when you say the pics in the cruze are bad you mean the belt fit is bad as opposed to the pics make it hard to tell? irl I can feel the top of his hip bone above the lap belt, though it does seem a bit high to me, but not as high as it looks in this pic. Ill try to get a better pic when I have a chance
I thought the lap belt was supposed to be across the hips, not flat down across the thighs? In the affix the lap belt is so low it does not even touch his hip bone. I didnt think to take a pic

Take a pic! Lets see. :)

henrietta

Technically, it's my understanding that it's desirable for the lap belt to touch the hips somewhere (not over or up too high), but that it's okay for it to be down on the thighs. Some boosters position the belt a little lower than others. I think that in an accident, if the lap belt is on the top of the thighs, the child going forward will slide down a little bit and the hip bones will catch on the lap belt. I could be wrong in how I'm picturing it. Our Cybex booster and Harmony Literider both position the lap belt low on my kids and I'm comfortable with the fit on them.

hths

Pixels

Too low on the thighs, and the pelvis will slide forward before catching the belt. During that time, the pelvis rotates into a slouching position, which can increase the chances of the belt sliding completely over the bony pelvis and up onto the soft belly.

There is a diagram with ideal belt placement on page 3 of the IIHS booster rating guide. Note that they refer to the location of the top edge of the lap belt.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I just want to note that even when a belt sits completely flat on the thigh just below the hipbone, it often rotates to be more upright as it curves around the belly, especially on fluffier individuals. (I'm personally fluffy enough that a seatbelt to sit flat all the way across my body it would have to be far enough forward on my thighs to be a serious submarining risk) Since it has to catch on the hipbones, that's the place where you want to check. Just think of the hipbones as the human belt path :)

Last edited:

D&L's-mommy

I put ds in the connext in the cruze, he's disappointed, but understands why. It's very difficult to buckle but his safety is most important.
I'm still torn on the INC, I think because it is so different than a traditional booster. He rode in it for the first time this morning,he had no opinion, but I dont like how the clip on the outboard side just hangs there, it doesnt seem like its doing much. Is anyone else experiencing that?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC