Ped dr told parent it was okay

flipper68

Senior Community Member
to FF her 18 month old :eek: because she's 30 lbs.

"She's the same size as a 2 year old."

Luckily, mom has me as an audiology patient and I told her it's not about size but about bone development ("The bones in the neck are soft and flexible. . ."), so mom promised to return DD seat to rf'ing.

GEE SH - Dr. didn't even follow her own AAP recommendations.

ADS

jacqui276

Glad to hear that she is keeping her little one RFing!

I find lots of peds think that it is just fine since it surpasses the legal minimums.

nannykates

Dear Pediatricians,

Forward facing under 2 is "fine" in the same way licking the floor at the mall is "fine". If it already happened you shouldn't make parents feel crappy about it...the kid will probably live through that one time. But, it really needs to not continue to happen, and you sure as hell shouldn't be encouraging or normalizing it.

Love
Kates

thekatie

Dear Pediatricians,

Forward facing under 2 is "fine" in the same way licking the floor at the mall is "fine". If it already happened you shouldn't make parents feel crappy about it...the kid will probably live through that one time. But, it really needs to not continue to happen, and you sure as hell shouldn't be encouraging or normalizing it.

Love
Kates
:love:

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
My one daycare girl's pediatrician told her mom it was fine to ff at 12mo because she was "big". Unfortunately, I lost that argument. She started talking about flipping her at 6 months because she wanted to do it before a year. I guess talking her out of that counts for something. My other daycare toddler was a bit older before his mom turned him. About 19 months. I talked her out of it at 14 months and told her to go to 2 years. You can't convince them all. He scares me a whole lot more than the girl (exact same age) because he is so much more baby like in his stature (huge head, didn't walk until 17 months, still isn't solidly walking/ running at 21 months) than she is (walking since 11 months, much more kid like shape with a relatively smaller head). I don't know if my fears are warranted but that's my take on it.

As a side note, I've never heard an excuse to ff early that made any sense to me other than constant, consistent puking. My rf two year old can climb into her own seat, can see the dvd player, and doesn't complain about facing the "wrong" way. She does occasionally ask to sit in the other seats but I tell her she needs to sit in her own seat and she's fine.

4boysmom

to FF her 18 month old :eek: because she's 30 lbs.

"She's the same size as a 2 year old."

Luckily, mom has me as an audiology patient and I told her it's not about size but about bone development ("The bones in the neck are soft and flexible. . ."), so mom promised to return DD seat to rf'ing.

GEE SH - Dr. didn't even follow her own AAP recommendations.

Wasn't that long ago that this was the max for height and weight for many RFers. My 7yo even I think had to be flipped ffing at around 18 mo because he was too tall or over 30 pounds in his Britax (the most progressive seat at the time). What a different 6ish years makes :)

msg221

I was shopping at BRU yesterday and offered to help a mom who was shopping for a convertible for her one year old. Grandma was also there and then said something to the effect of "well she will be at that 20 pounds soon so . . ." I told her that the baby would be considerably safer if she continued to rear face her until at least 2, but preferably longer. Grandma then replied "yes, but that would be a pain for Grandma."

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was shopping at BRU yesterday and offered to help a mom who was shopping for a convertible for her one year old. Grandma was also there and then said something to the effect of "well she will be at that 20 pounds soon so . . ." I told her that the baby would be considerably safer if she continued to rear face her until at least 2, but preferably longer. Grandma then replied "yes, but that would be a pain for Grandma."

:eek:

Mom2natalie

This grandma reminds me of my MIL. ::rolleyes:

Hopefully Mom will make grandma behave. My mil swears it is more difficult to put a child in a rf seat. She volunteers for the state of AL and transports foster children. Her installs appall me.

katymyers

Yeah, sounds a bit like my MIL :/... I honestly don't get that excuse AT ALL. I've never found it to be any easier to get a forward facer in their seat.

tmahanes

Yeah, sounds a bit like my MIL :/... I honestly don't get that excuse AT ALL. I've never found it to be any easier to get a forward facer in their seat.

We just turned B and honestly I think it is much harder to buckle him now that he is FF. I guess its because I an not used to it but I hate it. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Car-Seat.Org

cupcakepirate11

Here is a fun one
We have a free table at the dump. I always throw out car seats left behind but this time I found a childs seat for behind a bike so I took it home. Never used it. Was bringing it back and an older woman jumps out of her van asking about it. She wanted to know if a 3 yo would fit in it. I mention that it is not as safe as a trailer behind a bike to which she replies oh it is not for a car? *facepalm* I said no it just for a bike but if you need help with car seats look up the safe kids coalition they perform car seat checks. She seemed receptive so who knows.

Mom2natalie

I'd be shocked if that three year old is in a car seat at all now. Sad.

My husband has been teasing me about how thorough I've been researching booster seats. We drove past a flea market and he jokingly said...just get the seat there. Obviously that wouldn't happen, but I realized people may buy old seats from flea markets and yard sales.

msg221

This grandma reminds me of my MIL. ::rolleyes:

Hopefully Mom will make grandma behave. My mil swears it is more difficult to put a child in a rf seat. She volunteers for the state of AL and transports foster children. Her installs appall me.

I know, I just don't get it. The thought of what would be more convenient for me never outweighed what would be safer for my godchildren and grandchildren. And I agree that I never felt it was any easier with a FF kid than RF.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
I do find ffing seats to be easier than rfing seats. Easier to install and easier to strap the kid into. But, ease of use doesn't trump the overwhelming safety of extended rfing. I don't really understand when people think it does.

babyherder

Both my seats, one ff and one rf, are driving me nuts lately. Both for different reasons and I highly doubt flipping them would help. I'll admit to keeping my 3 year old nanny girl rf partly because I like it but if it was safer for her to be ff I would do that. I do plenty of things that are good for the kids even if they're not easy for me.

sarahknavy

I have noticed in some cars rear facing seats are a lot more difficult to buckle. My sport trac and Acadia are so easy and I always questioned my sister who said it was so much easier forward facing. Then I had the kids in a Hyundai Van and it was such a pain. The door was so in the way!

Either way... Safe trumps convenience.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC