What age for 5-stepping in Odyssey?

diaperjoys

What are some approximates? We purchased an '03 Odyssey yesterday, and I was surprised that our tallish 10.5yo didn't seem to quite pass the 5-step.

ADS

Baylor

What are some approximates? We purchased an '03 Odyssey yesterday, and I was surprised that our tallish 10.5yo didn't seem to quite pass the 5-step.

It's not about age alone. It is about fit. Different kids will 5 step at different times

You may want to try an incognito booster back there.

diaperjoys

It's not about age alone. It is about fit. Different kids will 5 step at different times

You may want to try an incognito booster back there.

Yes, I understand it isn't about age alone, which is why I tested him rather than assuming he'd fit. But different vehicles do have trends - 5-stepping young, 5-stepping much later, etc. Ballpark ages is what I'm after.....

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The captain's chairs on my 07 Oddy were the last place my very tall kiddo 5 stepped. She was almost 10 and had fit all the other vehicles she rides in for at least a year. The petite neighbor boy didn't fit until about 14. The 3rd row and plus one seat are considerably smaller and kids fit much sooner in those positions.

ntrenary

My 11 yr old DS just started to fit in the captain chairs of our '05 Ody. I never tried him in the 3rd row because that's where my 17 & 12 yr olds sit. My 12 yr old didn't fit in the 3rd row until last summer, so she was a little over 12 (she's almost 13).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh yeah, those captain's chairs were definitely the last place my kids fit without a booster (I have a 2003 as well)... about 5 ft and age 11.5ish. Third row they fit much sooner, the seat pan is much shorter.

Congrats on the new ride! My kids tease me about my creaky old van, but meh, it runs fine :D

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My (somewhat leggy) DS 5-stepped in the captains chairs of my dad's Odyssey at age 11. Now I have my own (2005) Odyssey, and I'm still not thrilled with his fit in the third row. He'll be 13 in a month. Mostly it's the high shoulder belts that are the problem in the third row.

Wife&MomX3

We have an '01 Odyessy and I just realized recently that my very tall (leggy) 9yo is close to 5 stepping in the back seat. He recently passed in the backseat of a little Honda Civic, so we just had him try the van to see.
(he doesnt want to give up his booster that he hasnt even had for 2 yrs yet, so we're in no rush anyway. :eek:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC