Help me choose seats for law enforcement!

Golfin'Grammy

CPS Technician
I work for a large Sheriff's department and recently did an assessment of the car seats we have. It was not pretty. Most of what we have is expired or nearing expiration :thumbsdown:.

I have an opportunity to apply for a grant to purchase seats for our department and need to decide what to buy. I'm thinking convertibles with low harness slots, FF combination seats, and dedicated boosters.

We don't transport children often, but there are times the deputies or detectives are left to do the transports. Of 300+ commissioned staff, I am the only one who is a CPST (we had a few more but they all let their certification lapse).

I need seats that will be EASY for them to install and harnesses that easily adjust.

Throw me some suggestions!

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Do you feel a no-rethread harness is a must?

I would probably get either Cosco Apts or Evenflo SureRides for the convertibles, and Harmony Defenders for the FF combo seats.

Or you could just get Evenflo SureRides all around and boosters for the kids who are too big for the SureRides (I think I'd get Harmony Youth Boosters and Harmony Olympians).

1mommy

What about an Evenflo Symphany DLX? It has a no rethread harness fit littles and makes a good booster for the smaller kids and is easy to install with the self ratcheting latch system. It's not the best for ERF but if you just FF any kid over 2 years old, chances are they sit FF anyways in their parents car... You'll also need a few boosters for the bigger kids but the 3 in one should help cut down costs with the amount of seats you'll need.

http://carseatblog.com/16765/evenflo-symphony-65-e3-review-impressive/

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Do officers transport the kids in their cruisers? Plastic seats and the short downwards tilted seats are not compatible with car seats at all. Another thing to consider is the prisoner barrier. Rfing seats may not fit front to back, and ffing seats won't have enough room for head excursion and in a crash the child is going slam into the barrier.

Can they just call you to come get any kids that need transport? Just kidding but only kinda. Realistically, the officers are not going to have seats on hand everyday and are going to need someone to bring a seat and an appropriate vehicle anyway. Makes sense if that person is a cpst.

Golfin'Grammy

CPS Technician
Thanks for the suggestions!

Brigala - I was originally thinking about Sceneras as I don't think the no re-thread harness is a must. But even as frugal as I am, I think it would be worth it to spend more on a no re-thread harness seat like the Symphony to lessen the opportunity for misuse.

1mommy - I like your suggestions of Symphonies, and agree the not-as-long ERF isn't as big an issue for this situation as it would be if I were buying for my grandkid who would ride in the seat daily.

safeinthecar - More often those doing the transporting would be a detective or a Civil deputy who drive unmarked Impalas. But in the unlikely event a deputy with a hard plastic backseat/cage shield had to transport, our policy says they need to install in the front seat with airbag turned off. And if that is not possible, then find safe alternative transportation.

Our county covers 1800 square miles so if I were in a reasonable proximity, yes, they could certainly call me to transport. I drive one of those unmarked Impalas with 3 across latch in the backseat :).

Oh, and high back boosters will be purchased as well as the Symphonies.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Are they still making the Symphony model with the SureLatch? That would probably be worth doing if you go that route, because, well, SureLatch.

SavsMom

Sure Latch doesn't work well in all cars and it is outgrown rear facing pretty quickly due to only being able to use the bottom 2 head rest positions.

I think the SureRide / Titan65 will give you the most seat for your money. It's lightweight, easy to install, fits newborns well, has great top harness height for forward facing. My dd is 6, average height and isn't even close to outgrowing it yet.

sunnymw

I'm actually glad to hear that they'll be in the front with airbag disabled. Because, well, even with 100 gallons of hospital grade disinfectant, no way am I sitting in the back seat of any of our patrol cars, because I DO know what's been back there ;)

SavsMom

I'm actually glad to hear that they'll be in the front with airbag disabled. Because, well, even with 100 gallons of hospital grade disinfectant, no way am I sitting in the back seat of any of our patrol cars, because I DO know what's been back there ;)

Ewwww!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC