having baby in 1 week, need help with 3rd row seating

U

Unregistered

We own a 2004 Honda Odyssey and currently have 4 girls with baby boy coming in 1 week. Infant will be riding in one of the two middle row seats. We do own a britax frontier 85 that we will be using and can get rid of other car seats to accommodate. My wife has stated many times that she will not use the bubblebum or a radian car seat. What do I do? My girls are: 7 year old 60 lbs, 5 year old 40 lbs, 4 year old 34 lbs, 1 year old 22 lbs. I am fine with backless booster for my oldest and fine with 5 year old in high back booster. I can not figure this out....

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Welcome to car-seat.org. I hope we can help.

I have an 03 Odyssey, same body style as yours.

Do you have extra tether anchors retrofitted for the 3rd row? That will give maximum flexibility.

I don't think you're going to be able to not use a Radian for the 3rd row. Why won't she use one? You won't need to use a Bubblebum.

My initial thoughts are:

3rd row: Frontier (5 year old) / rear-facing Radian (1 year old) / forward-facing Radian (4 year old) --> load the 1 year old through the hatch if needed.
The Radian won't install rear-facing on the outer seats of the 3rd row because of the hard plastic in the hinge but it goes in nicely in the middle.

11790354016_2ed8e8584b.jpg

2nd row: shift the passenger's side captain's chair to the middle leaving the aisle to the 3rd row on the side instead of having to squeeze through the middle. Put the baby's infant seat on that side installed with lower anchors so you don't have the seat belt awkwardly in the way. You can also slide the whole seat forward if needed while the infant seat is installed. Put the 7 year old on the driver's side captain's chair in a high back. The Monterey works nicely, as does the Parkway. Probably others too but that's what I use.

Buckling a booster is going to be extremely difficult in the 3rd row which is why I would suggest leaving the kids in that row harnessed as long as possible. It doesn't work to have a booster on the 2nd row passenger side captain's chair as the belt fit is terrible and the shoulder belt gets hung up and won't retract or lay flat in a belt guide of a high back booster, and the belt gets in the way of access to the 3rd row by blocking the aisle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC