So sad! I can't take the CPST course!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So I am a teacher and I found a summer CPST course that is about 3 hours from where I live. My in-laws offered to pay for us to all stay in a resort and make a vacation out of it so that I could take the course.

The trouble is, the course starts the first day of summer break -- and now we have had days added to our calendar because of the weather this year. So I requested the day off...but because most of the staff at my school were already scheduled to be at a training out of town, they need all the bodies they can to run the rest of the school, so my request was denied.

So instead of this awesome CPST trip, I am going to be stuck at school with a bunch of substitute teachers and kids who are beyond ready to be done with school.

I couldn't be more sad. :(

Is there any chance that if I contacted the instructor they could make arrangements for me to make-up the first day? I am part-time, so if I booked it out of town, I could maybe get there for the last 3 hours of the first day, but I'd miss the first 6 hours. I hear that the first part isn't as hands-on ... Any way I could test out of it? Or take a webinar or something? Anything?

ADS

thepote

Aw I'm sorry. What a bummer. Sounds like you would really have nothing to lose by contacting them. It would also give you a chance to ask when and where they are planning future courses.

Good luck!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I went ahead and left her a voicemail. I figured I had nothing to loose by asking. It's only a three-day course, though, so I am guessing that they consider every minute to be critical.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The official rules set by safe kids say if you don't attend all the instruction time you don't pass. (you can make up the check event in some circumstances, but not the instruction.) Sorry.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The courses I've taken have actually been in different states! Since it's a nationwide certification, it hasn't mattered. If there's another one closer to you or at a better time, even if it's in a different state, then that might work for you, too. Unless you're in central Texas, then nothin's closer, lol.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The courses I've taken have actually been in different states! Since it's a nationwide certification, it hasn't mattered. If there's another one closer to you or at a better time, even if it's in a different state, then that might work for you, too. Unless you're in central Texas, then nothin's closer, lol.

I've looked everywhere -- I have searched in every state with a couch I can crash on. The logistics just haven't worked out. Weirdly, it seems like a lot of places do not have courses available in their most populated cities. And in other states, the only courses are all listed as "controlled."

jjordan

Don't rule out attending a controlled course. If there is one that would work for you, email the instructor and ask if you can get in.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Safe Kids is pushing for more courses to be added and more techs certified in May. Is May a doable month for you at all?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You might need to be patient, too - summer courses are probably not posted yet. If you are open to traveling on shorter notice, I'm sure you'll be able to find something during the summer :)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I've looked everywhere -- I have searched in every state with a couch I can crash on. The logistics just haven't worked out. Weirdly, it seems like a lot of places do not have courses available in their most populated cities. And in other states, the only courses are all listed as "controlled."
We rarely have courses here in Little Rock. I hosted the last one here (April of 2013), the previous one was in like September of 2012. We have a large need for techs in rural areas so we end up going to a common place nearer to all the people needing to attend. You never know when you can get into a class unless you ask. We have someone from Dallas (5hrs away) in the class this week. We had room, why not?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You might need to be patient, too - summer courses are probably not posted yet. If you are open to traveling on shorter notice, I'm sure you'll be able to find something during the summer :)

Is this true even for states that have classes posted through October? Like, if a state has listings for classes in April, May, June, September and October, does that mean they still might add more classes in June, July and August? If so, when can I expect those postings to be added? I have heard the "summer classes will be added later" advice, but most of the states I have looked at seem to have at least some classes through September on there already, which worried me about the likelihood of more being added. The states that seem more empty are all ones where I'd need to be making travel reservations now in order to make the trip possible and affordable.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Safe Kids is pushing for more courses to be added and more techs certified in May. Is May a doable month for you at all?

No, we have school all month long except Memorial Day. I could take off like a long weekend, but not really more than that. Teachers (at least in my district) just don't get much flexibility and even if it were approved it would cause me massive anxiety to leave my high-risk kids with a sub for more than 2 days in a row.

I really wish classes would be offered on weekends. Like two consecutive weekends instead of always doing it M,T,W,Th or whatnot. Seems a little strange to make people ditch work in order to get certified for what is mostly a volunteer gig. I guess a lot of people have to take it for their job (fire dept, police) instead of on top of an unrelated job? Or maybe my jobs is just super inflexible.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Don't rule out attending a controlled course. If there is one that would work for you, email the instructor and ask if you can get in.

Thanks! I thought "controlled" meant that it was a course specifically for the members of one fire dept or something -- more like in-house professional development. I didn't realize I could ask to be let in!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hmmm, dunno. They only post classes here a couple of months out - even if they know they will have them. They have them Fri, Sat, Fri, Sat, but I know that's an unusual setup.

Controlled courses are put on for a set population - like maybe a hospital asked to train their nurses - and they don't want the seats to be gobbled up. BUT, perhaps they set the class size at 15, and only have a dozen nurses - they may be happy to have someone else in. Can't hurt to ask!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I really wish classes would be offered on weekends. Like two consecutive weekends instead of always doing it M,T,W,Th or whatnot. Seems a little strange to make people ditch work in order to get certified for what is mostly a volunteer gig. I guess a lot of people have to take it for their job (fire dept, police) instead of on top of an unrelated job? Or maybe my jobs is just super inflexible.

That's how I took my class, two weekends. It was SO convenient for me as a SAHM and we got a great turnout at our event.

Actually didn't seem too inconvenient for the cops and firefighters, either, even though it was for their job (they work weekends as a rule, anyway, right?). That is who mostly takes those classes, and they get paid to be there, do and do their checks on the clock. Incredibly rare are those of us who volunteer :eek:

It must have been a pain for the instructors, then!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
My class was a closed course for military personnel and crash scene investigators. I begged every monday for 6 months and they finally let me in.

ebp913

Thanks! I thought "controlled" meant that it was a course specifically for the members of one fire dept or something -- more like in-house professional development. I didn't realize I could ask to be let in!

The class I am taking in 2 weeks is controlled but when I requested it, I just explained that I was interested in car seat safety and would love to take the class if there was room and I got in.

cookie123

Nedra, The year I certified it was in Burnsville at the AAA building. I'm kind of surprised they don't have one more often. Maybe you could call them and ask if they would be hosting one soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC