Convaid Carrot III

I

iAmDizzie

I have a 4 y/o who is 39 lbs (was up to 45 lbs but lost due to feeding issues but is starting to gain again) and 44 inches tall. His Radian is expiring at the end of this year. We are looking at a Convaid Carrot III but can't find much on reviews. He has good tone while he is awake but when he goes to sleep is very floppy. He also frequently has seizures. He also has a trach and a port in his chest. The port has been the biggest issue as the chest clips all rest right on top of it which is bothersome. We can't move to a HBB b/c he stiffens his legs and slides out the bottom of the seat, though he cannot walk. When looking at the Carrot, it doesn't appear to have chest clips that we'd have to contend with. There's also a possibility that we're going to have to start using his port 24/7 with IV fluids connected to it which will mean we absolutely cannot put the chest clip over it. Right now, when it's deaccessed, he doesn't like the clip over it but isn't strong enough to move the clip either. We also have a G/J tube to contend with as well. The other option is having wheelchair anchors installed in our van and using a portable ramp to get him in and out and transport in the wheelchair. I've started having back problems from lifting him and our lift machine isn't portable. We don't have day nursing so it's usually just me when traveling.

ADS

Chely7425

I would recommend using a car seat for as long as possible as transporting in a wheel chair brings up a whole slew of other issues. The carrot is a very nice seat and would likely work well. My son has a gj tube and I'm a special needs trained tech and the biggest thing to consider with the tube (as I'm sure you know :) ) is making sure the buckles and harness don't push on it. Is it possible that a booster with a positioning harness might work? Something like the recaro monza would give him the support he needs but because the harness is only for positioning it has not chest clip.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Some versions of the Radian have really thick pads that lift the chest clip away from the chest somewhat. You could get a set from Diono and try them on you current seat. If it works, you can just replace the Radian with another one.

ahgirls

I second the monza. The only buckles are crotch buckles. They sit very low, so I don't think they would get in way of the tube.

My DD'S favorite thing about the Monza is the built in speakers on the head wings. Lol!

The Monza is a taller seat then the carrot allowing for longer usage.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
The recommendation is to avoid transporting in a w/c for as long as possible.

However, the safety and well being of caregivers needs to be factored into this equation. DS is not going to get any smaller, nor is his w/c.

How are you transporting his w/c now?

If you already have back issues, a portable ramp is not a good solution either.

I'm not sure if you can install a CR in lift seat but that would definitely make transfer easier.

http://toyotamobility.com/
http://www.autoadapt.com/en/products/swivel-seats/turny-hd/

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I don't see how that's possible for harnessed seats

Why not? The picture shows a young adult in some variation of a SN seat. . .

The flyer indicates it has LATCH and the lift mechanism is bolted to the vehicle. . .top tether might be an issue but since it has LATCH, it seems like Bruno has reviewed the requirements for SN seats.

Certainly worth a look - especially for someone who can help with transfers or even transfer his/herself - as opposed to transporting in a w/c.

And remember, not all w/c are approved (ie - MADE) for use as a transport seat. The frame must state it's for transport. Generally this means there is a reinforced frame, head rest, & factory tie downs.

MommyShannon

I think they are saying that based on LATCH but LATCH has weight limits as well as car seats have limits for their use with LATCH. The limit could be 40lbs (child's weight) or something higher. New standards are 65lbs (child + seat). I can see LATCH working, I just see the limits making it not last long enough. If the seat belt and buckle were on the seat, it would be better but it doesn't look like that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC