Dodge Durango ND CAR SEAT SAFETY

K

kirschner9

We currently have a 2000 Dodge Durango and will have 3 kids ages 5 yrs, 16 mos. and newborn in the spring 2005. I put my son's booster seat in third row seat with shoulder belt and the bas eof seat really doesn't fi ton the 3rd row seat. How safe is this for my child, he is only 37 pounds. The other option was to put him in 2nd row seat in middle, but that center seat also opts as an armrest and doesn't lock so that it stays in place. I am wondering if there is anyone else who has had this issue with their Durango especially in a year 2000 one. Thank you for your time.

Betsy

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Read your manual first -- it might say that the middle second row seat is unsafe for child a restraint. I've heard that as long as 80% of the restraint is making contact with the seat then it's OK, but you could also try going to Babies-R-Us & ask to test different seats in the 3rd row to find one that fits best.

A friend of mine with a TrailBlazer & 4 kids has the toddler in a 5-point harness behind the driver & next to the 6 year old in a booster, the newborn in the middle of the 3rd row so that the preteen and/or mom can sit next to her while dad drives. It's usually rare that mom is driving alone & the trips are short.

U

Unregistered

Yes, I have a 2000 durango. I was told by my carseat tech that it is unsafe to have a carseat in the middle of the second row. I didn't ask about the third row. I also have a friend who puts her carseat in the middle of the second row and their carseat tech said it was okay. The car manual does not state anything about where to put carseats. I even contacted Dodge and they were no help whatsoever.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If the manual has no restrictions on where to place a child seat, then any position is acceptable, provided the child seat can be fit correctly there. We usually go by a rule of thumb that at least 80% of the child seat should be in contact with the vehicle seat.

I would suggest a visit to a local, certified technician. Please use our resources at http://www.seatcheck.net to find one near you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC