Recommendation - 5 year old with ASD

MrsProgram

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate some feedback about our carseat dilemma. My son just turned 5 years old on December 31st and he is autistic. He is currently in a Diono Radian RXT but he will not be in that for much longer as his shoulder is almost in line with the top harness slot and he is 61lbs. I was hoping to move him into the Britax Frontier XT next month but at the rate he's going, he won't be in that much longer.

He is 46 inches tall and 61lbs. He's always been a big boy. He has low tone and requires a few therapists.

Do I move him into a HBB :( or ask about getting a special needs seat? I'm in Canada, by the way.

Thanks so much for any input. :)

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you worried about weight vs height with the Frontier? I think it would provide plenty of height but the weight limit would be an issue since you're in Canada.

How much more support do you think your DS needs? Do you feel like he needs the support of a full harness or do you think a supportive high backed booster would be enough. Is there any way you can try him out in seats? If you went with a special needs seat would your insurance cover it or would you be paying out of pocket? How do you feel about using US seats? (I know they're "illegal")

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At this point, I think 4 lbs. isn't going to be worth the height on the Frontier. Since he has both low tone and ASD, I would probably at least start the process of looking for a special needs harness. I know they can be really hard to come by in Canada right now. I believe the EZ-On 86-Y may be an option with a prescription, though?

MrsProgram

I think he needs to be in a harness for at least another year. He is very good about being in his seat because it is part of his routine, has not tried to get out but he is not mature enough to stay put in the adult seatbelt. He also slumps in his seat when he falls asleep.

I know for sure he will outgrow our Frontier by weight by the fall. He rarely slows down in growth. We already have a Frontier that my older son used to ride in so I can put him in there until he outgrows it by weight.

I'm not sure if insurance will cover a seat but I will find out. I'm not opposed to buying a seat from the US since I will be in NM in April. :eek:

I will email his Dr and his therapists to see about getting a prescription for a seat.

Thank you for your help. :D

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Be aware that seats DO get confiscated on the way into Canada, and the legal repercussions for using an illegal seat there are higher than in the US. I'll let some of our Canadian experts speak to that but I know it's happened.

MrsProgram

Just an update.

I checked on what is legal in Canada and we are going to see if we can get the Traveller Plus EL paid for by my insurance.

My son's therapists, his psychologist and his pediatrician are going to write letters and a prescription for us to submit to my insurance.

Hopefully, he will have a new seat by May. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC