Air Canada international -rear facing

Planner1

In the next few weeks we will be travelling to London, England from Canada. We will have our baby with us who will be 11 months old at the time. We have purchased 3 seats for us all, in the middle 3 seats (2-3-2 configuration). My baby will sit between me and my husband.

The advice I seek is which car seat to take with us. We switched him into a convertible seat a couple of months ago. I have a britax boulevard in my car, my husband has a Evenflo Sureride in his car and we still have his peg Perego 30/30 infant seat, which is sat stored in our basement. I would think that the peg Perego would be he easiest to take with us, being the smallest car seat. My son is however 29 inches ish and is on the very edge of the seat capacity for height. He's well within the weight limit. We leave in 2 weeks for 10 days so he could be 30 ish inches when travelling on the plane. Would it be an issue if he was a tiny amount over the 30 inches, for travelling on the plane? If that seat is no good, which is the best of the other 2 convertible seats to take for our flight? He will obviously be rear facing and I know that I should arm myself with information showing he should be rear facing should the FA give us a hard time.

We have purchased a car seat in the UK as I assume we can't use our Canadian seat over there due to different regulations surrounding car seats. Thanks so much for your help and sorry for the long post :).

ADS

Planner1

Thanks for your response. I didn't measure his head from the top, last night, but it looked to be about an inch from the top. By the time we travel he may be less than an inch from the top. Are you therefore saying that even if he's taller than 30 inches but his head is an inch or more from the top of the seat, you would still take the peg?

Do you know which of the two convertibles would be a good choice for traveling by Air Canada rear facing? This is only if we have an issue with the peg.

I know I'm being a PITA with the additional questions but I'm a very cautious person when it comes to safety.

amyd

Thanks for your response. I didn't measure his head from the top, last night, but it looked to be about an inch from the top. By the time we travel he may be less than an inch from the top. Are you therefore saying that even if he's taller than 30 inches but his head is an inch or more from the top of the seat, you would still take the peg? Do you know which of the two convertibles would be a good choice for traveling by Air Canada rear facing? This is only if we have an issue with the peg. I know I'm being a PITA with the additional questions but I'm a very cautious person when it comes to safety.

For use only on the plane, yes, I would as long as he has at least an inch over his head. I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the convertibles you mention on a plane.

Olga

We have travelled with a Scenera on AC internationally to several places in Europe and never had an issue with installing it RFing. The flight attendants never gave us any trouble.

Now we have a SureRide for our travel seat though we haven't had the opportunity to use it on a plane yet so I can't say how it will fit. It's definitely taller than the Scenera but it is nice and light for carrying through the airport.

biddyk8

I've done that route but with a evenflo tribute, it fit nicely rear facing with a little room at the sides, didn't have to raise the arm rests. Wasn't that much room left front to back. I think the sureride would work, it would def be lighter for travelling around the airport.

But if you have another seat to use at home I would also probably take the infant seat and it would be the easiest fit. I wouldn't be too worried about the height limit if you bought another Uk seat over there.

I did use the tribute when I was in the UK, as a parental decision to use if for the holiday but T was bigger and I would have had to buy T an expensive seat to keep her rear facing. If I was moving back I'd buy a Uk one, but for a holiday I would use a Canadian one without hesitating. Moot point as you have already purchased

kookaburra

The Sureride is very tall, and I've read in other threads here that it often won't fit RF on planes. The Britax is heavy but should fit fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC