Should I booster train my 5 year old?

Holly

So, I'm having a baby in about 5 weeks. I have no idea who he'll be with at the time, a relative or neighbor probably depending on when I go into labor.

He just turned 5 last month and he's 37 lbs. Never been in a booster before. I planned to keep him harnessed until age 6.
I think he'd do ok in a booster but not full time.

We have a spare high back turbo he could use. Should I drive with him in it a little bit over the next few weeks to help him learn about sitting in it properly in case he has to be boostered with someone when I have the baby?

ADS

Baylor

I would. I think they should all be trained at 5 for emergency situations. I know for my parents it was so much easier for them to handle the booster and make sure he was in right.

doriansmummy

Do you have 2 vehicles? If so, why not just leave whatever vehicle that has the kids seats in it with the person that ends up having them? The infant seat you and your DH can install in your other car.

Keeyamah

I will be booster training my 4.5 yr old because I have inlaws that can't remember what the crotch buckle is for in a harnessed seat :/. So yeah, especially with your needs / situation, I would.

Holly

Dh has a two person truck, he can probably take me to the hospital in that. Depending on who watches the kids, we may be able to leave our van with them, but we also might not be able to. If we have enough time for my parents or brother to come over, we can leave our van. They live about an hour and a half away. If we have to go before they could come up here, we'd probably have to leave them with a neighbor.

Our neighbors that could watch them have their own kids they need to drive to school and such, we wouldn't have room in our van for them all. My girls would have to walk to school from their house (I don't think any of them have 3 open spots in their vehicles) and ds would have to drive with them. OR if my parents were on the way up but we had to go to the hospital before they got here, we could take the kids with us and they could sit in the waiting room with dh until they got there and then they could take them home in our van.

Dh will get the kids from whoever watches them after the baby is here and then all of them will be able to pick us up in the van, so we don't need to take the baby's seat out of the van.

YinzerMama

My girls began using one in DH's car at 4 1/2 for short trips. So long as it fits I am fine with it for 4+ at least for now and then use. The Gracos fit small riders very well. I think it will make life a lot easier with caregiver situations in flux.

I never "trained" - just went with it. My kids were all very good about it though. So excited to have a new seat, they behaved very well.

mumof2

have to Admit I had never heard of booster training till I read it on this board.

it would have been impractical to booster train my now 6 year old she travels mostely in my car and to haave to take out the radian and put in a booster would have a PITA.

I was confident that she would fit her booster well and she is pretty mature so no problems with her staying still etc.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would booster train him just in case, and for any future situations where you're in a pinch.

momtoo3

I would also booster train him. Ds3 is close in size to Josh and fits great in the hbtb, vivo and cruiserfix pro. He is pretty much boostered full time now in my van at 5 1/2. I very rarely have to tell him to sit right. He does better in the vehicle than my 13 year old.

firemomof3

I would also.
I started booster training my 4.5y/o daycare kiddo and he is doing better then any of my kids ever did

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC