Interesting lap/shoulder belt type

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My husband just bought a 1973 Mustang Grande. I haven't seen the car yet but here's a picture out of the manual of how to use and adjust the front seat's lap/shoulder belt. It sounds to me like the lap belt is ALR and the shoulder belt that attaches on is some sort of locking latch plate.

13010767243_c399d2f12f.jpg

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yeah, my dh's Datsun 240Z had belts similar to that as well. I wish I had taken pics of them while we still had the car. Both the lap and shoulder belt were manually adjustable and the shoulder belt clipped into the lap belt via that pin thing shown in your manual. Once they were both tight, you couldn't move. It was tough to drive that way, lol.

Pixelated

So those belts should be replaced, right? I mean since they're 40 years old?

Oh you betcha! They may have already been replaced as this car is in immaculate condition and the rear belts have been redone. If they're original it's #1 on my list before I will get in that car :)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Oh yeah... that was the car I wrecked into a tree at 40+ mph wearing only the lap belt while pregnant with DS1 back in 1996! Good times.... not.

I'm trying to remember for sure but I think there were no retractors on either the lap or shoulder belt portions of the belt. The shoulder belt is definitely separate but I kinda remember the extra webbing being folded up and stored near the roof pillar. I don't remember there being any adjustment mechanism on the shoulder belt portion either but the lap belt had a typical locking latchplate with a loose tail that you pulled to snug up the belt.

kathysr98

Oh yeah... that was the car I wrecked into a tree at 40+ mph wearing only the lap belt while pregnant with DS1 back in 1996! Good times.... not. I'm trying to remember for sure but I think there were no retractors on either the lap or shoulder belt portions of the belt. The shoulder belt is definitely separate but I kinda remember the extra webbing being folded up and stored near the roof pillar. I don't remember there being any adjustment mechanism on the shoulder belt portion either but the lap belt had a typical locking latchplate with a loose tail that you pulled to snug up the belt.

They have a retractor, but according to my parents the retractor wore out quickly, leaving the belt hanging.

aeormsby

Yeah, my dh's Datsun 240Z had belts similar to that as well. I wish I had taken pics of them while we still had the car. Both the lap and shoulder belt were manually adjustable and the shoulder belt clipped into the lap belt via that pin thing shown in your manual. Once they were both tight, you couldn't move. It was tough to drive that way, lol.

My boss at a job I had 15 years ago had a similar car with those crazy seatbelts. It was a 'company vehicle' so I'd ride in it sometimes to meetings or such. It was strange.

Pixelated

Check out that green interior :D

Belts, although original, are in immaculate condition. We'll be replacing them immediately.

Lap belt is ALR. Shoulder belt attaches, and the length is fixed (but adjustable). When set up snugly it's not overly comfortable.

13274116143_0f4f004dff.jpg

13273971055_86d248971c.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC