Question Bubblebum for one trip with a 4YO

mrosehughes

Im trying to decide what to do tomorrow am, so quick replies would be appreciated.

DS is 4YO, 44 lbs, and something like 44" (wears size 5). He normally rides in a frontier, but I have a bubblebum for my nephew.

DH scheduled a car appt tomorrow morning (which we desperately need to get done), and I scheduled a work-related meeting a few miles from the shop thinking we could all go over together (with both cars), drop off car 1, and he could drop me off at my meeting and do something with DS while we waited. But DH got scheduled to work (and 'forgot' he had a conflict).

So now I am stuck with my 4YO and a car appt ~3 miles from my meeting. Car appt is at 11 and meeting is at 1. So I'm thinking my choices are:
1) Cancel car appt or meeting. Car is overdue, and meeting is a practice for a friend's phd defense so cannot be rescheduled (no time before the defense).
2) Take DS and try to bus to meeting from shop. Main problem with this is it involves a ~1 mile walk on a rather busy street (not sure if there is a sidewalk on much of it).
3) Take DS and use the shuttle service (in a minivan) with the bubblebum. I suppose I could sit next to him. He meets the minimums and isn't particularly squirmy for a 4YO, but isn't booster trained at all.

Then of course I have to keep him occupied at the meeting and/or shop, which is it's own challenge, but I can probably handle that.

WWYD?

ADS

kater-tot82

For a short trip and if you're able to sit near him to make sure he stays in place I would use the bubble bum for a 4yo. The minivan will have head support for him, right?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It seems to me that #2, if no sidewalks, likely meets or exceeds the danger of #3.

I would probably be okay opting for #3. Any potential the shop would drop you off in your own vehicle? That would require more entertainment time at the destination, but less uncertainty in travel. If not, I would go with the Bubblebum, after talking to kiddo about it. Just make sure you both have lap-shoulder belts and head support, which might equal sitting on opposite sides of the bench.

mrosehughes

We ended up using the bubblebum, and really it fit him very well, and he was still for the few mile drive. I think it was the right decision. He said he liked his frontier more, though (which is great since I won't have any fights with him to keep him in the harness).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC