Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Do you love your fridge?

My husband spotted a floor model on sale for $1400 ($1,100 off the regular price) at Home Depot. It's this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Electrolu...stomer_reviews

The reviews aren't very positive, but mostly people are complaining about the ice maker. Frankly, for $1100 off we can probably live with a crappy ice maker, but my DH thinks the problem is mostly user error anyway. I'd be just as happy I think for a model that didn't have an ice maker at all. I mean, we use ours, but we don't have to.

I am totally interested in fridge-shopping suggestions. Who has them?
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

My last house had a beautiful French Door bottom freezer Jenn Aire (sp?) fridge. It was black with a glass front and stainless steel hardware. Gorgeous as far as refrigerators are concerned.

It came with the house (2ish years old), we continued to use it for another 2ish years and never had any issues.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Re: Do you love your fridge?

We are looking at a new fridge since we are remodeling our kitchen. I don't think I could buy a fridge that had a non-functioning ice maker. It might be okay if it was just an internal one which you don't see. With it in the door though, I think it would bother me each time I saw it.

I have been reading so many reviews on fridges this week, and so far, it seems like they are either too loud, have a bad ice maker, poor layout, or just break down too easily. I wish someone would just tell me the perfect fridge so I could buy it (and of course have it on sale or clearance).
    Katy

We have a Maytag with french doors at work that works just fine. No issues with the ice maker, other than I wish it had a bigger capacity. Then again there are 20+ people wanting ice water during the summer, I imagine it wouldn't be an issue in a house.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Electrolux had huge issues with their ice makers in the last few years. We bought other Electrolux appliances but I excluded the fridge (for reasons other than the ice maker issues). I had a couple friends with the problem ice makers. Electrolux did have a fix for it and they put that into my buddy's about 2 years ago and it's been fine ever since (his experienced issues within the first month). But maybe there are still some out there with the troublesome ice makers that need replacement.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

I agree that for the price you can live with a crappy ice maker, it looks like a nice Fridge, I like our french door bottom freezer well enough, my only real complaint is lack of freezer space and having to dig for items, but its not that big of a problem.
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

We have a nice fridge (blanking on the brand right now) but the ice maker crapped out almost immediately. It had been in my mom's new house for 2 years without the ice maker ever having been hooked up, so there's no good reason for it to have gone bad, but it did. I think ice makers have gone the way of hot water heaters. HWH used to last for 20 or 30 years. Now, you're lucky to get 8 or 9 out of one. Ice makers used to last the life of the fridge, but now you have to replace them a bunch. My replacement one wasn't exactly like the original (like the Ebay picture showed!) but I have it rigged because the weight of the bar with the paddle thing wasn't enough to make it go down and reset after a dump. It now has a locking clip zip-tied to it and it works great.

All that to say I would't pass up a good deal on an otherwise nice fridge because of bad reviews on an ice maker.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

This is all super helpful. Thanks!

I think it is probably super important to make sure the floor model still has a full warranty, though!!

We are now the owner of a brand new fridge! Thanks, guys. It will be a bit before I can test out the dreaded ice maker. But I registered the fridge already so hopefully if there are any issues it will be covered under the warranty.