Pipa, Aton Q, or Peg 4.35?

jeno

Senior Community Member
Baby # 4 will be here by Easter. I'm looking for a new infant seat and since I don't have any other baby needs at this point, I am interested in splurging a bit.

I owned one of the original Chicco Keyfits from 2005. I used that for my first 2, and borrowed another after that one expired for my 3rd baby. Just a bit over that seat at this point. :)

So my dilemma is whether I just order a Pipa (or Aton 2) now, or use my Coccoro until the Aton or Peg are released? I do not have any vehicle constraints. We have a 2012 Odyssey. Baby will be riding either middle center or bucket. But I do have large babies: 9-10lbs at birth and tall torsos. Based on that alone, it seems the Pipa is going to give me more seat from what I've gathered. Is that correct? Do we have any idea yet on shell height of the Peg?

ADS

wavegal

From what I have seem it seems like the peg will have a good shell height. I am between the nuna and Peg myself for my next LO. I am also intrigued by the load leg idea but I don't know if it will be something that bothers me in the end. I think in the end I will have to see which fits better in my vehicle.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I don't have an opinion on the other seats yet, but I very much love my Pipa. Comfortable, easy to use, easy to install, and I love the load leg (which you can also get with the Aton).

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I adore my Aton 2, but probably would get a Pipa if I had a large vehicle and planned to install in the center. The feature that turned us towards the Cybex seats was the small size because we have an Impreza. Plus one of the features we love (the LSP) is useless in a center install. Frankly, in any minivan, I'm not sure how much use you'd get from the LSP just because there's so much room between the door and the seat. I am not a car seat engineer or even a tech, though, so I may be off on that.

So my vote is for a Pipa. We love having the load leg in our Aton 2, but for your situation, it seems like a Pipa would be a better fit while still keeping that feature. Plus it has an awesome canopy.

The other reason I'd advise against waiting is that I'd hate to have to deal with a newborn in a convertible of any sort. Not a matter of safety -- especially since the Coccoro is supposed to be great even for preemies -- just a matter of convenience. But I'm also the type of person who is eking out every last inch of her Aton 2 because the idea of dealing with a convertible this winter is just terrifying. If you're on your 4th baby, you probably have a better idea than I do about what it's like to use a convertible with a newborn.

jeno

Senior Community Member
I'll have to call tomorrow, but can anyone tell me where the Pipa is actually manufactured?

jeno

Senior Community Member
Thank you Kecia. That may be enough to make me wait. Is the Peg still due out in April?

bnsnyde

To get my Aton 2 into the base I need to thrust it up and line it up (and this killed my back). As baby got past 2 months...I could not do that.

So I changed to my Chaperone (with baby #5) and I use my knee to lift it up. This is very easy. At most, a bruise on the knee now and then.

I don't plan to change to a convertible until the cold is past us. Plus, I can't imagine having to wake baby when we go to a billion drop-offs and pick-ups each day. I'll have to, eventually. We have the Orbit toddler in waiting and I can say that the rotation thing on the seat is awesome for my back. No pain!

We have the 2011 Odyssey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC