Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CARES question

CARES question

I'd like to recommend an RSTV to nanny family; they have an upcoming trip that is almost all public busses etc with one car ride. Nannykid1 is 4y, 33-34lb, and I think the RSTV would be appropriate for this trip.

I'd also like to recommend a CARES. I think price would be ok since they have a few flights this year & will get several years of use between NannyKid1 & NK2. My concern is that it says it's up to 40". NK1 is just about there. Do the airlines really check his height? I'm guessing he'll grow a few inches before he hits the 40lb mark where the lap belt fits right...

TIA.
    Down to just a spare Radian, folded in the hall closet for my Godbaby.

Check out this thread for a Pilot overview!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: CARES question

I can't picture the airlines having a tape measure available, let alone deciding they need to check. As far as I know the CARES harness seems to be pretty well recognized as an approved device on north american flights at least.

But you never know; hopefully some more people can chime in.
    Mom to Mischief 1/DD (10.5), Mischief 2/DS1 (8), Mischief 3/DS2 (6.5), and now baby 4/DS3 (21 months), already in training to be Mischief 4 soon, since he is learning from the best!

Thanks. I wasn't too worried until the site started talking about needing letters of exemption for taller SN kids! Lol!

Senior Community Member

Please keep in mind I'm not a tech though. I've heard enough horror stories from people harassed over car seats to know anything's possible.
    Mom to Mischief 1/DD (10.5), Mischief 2/DS1 (8), Mischief 3/DS2 (6.5), and now baby 4/DS3 (21 months), already in training to be Mischief 4 soon, since he is learning from the best!

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

I was about to say that a CARES harness is overkill for a 4 yo, but for a SN kiddo I understand it might be necessary depending on the SN.

I wouldn't worry about being close to or even just above 40". At all.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

No no, he's not SN. A bit wild, yes, but not SN lol.

I was referencing what the CARES site says, essentially, use after 40" is only for SN kids with a letter of exemption.

You think the lap belt will fit okay at 33ish pounds? I had read on here that it won't fit until 40lb? (As an aside I would really like to recommend the RSTV/Delighter/airline strap combo, but they are still working out the FAA stuff!) Hence wanting to give them the CARES option.

I think they're just going to end up taking my Maestro (in lieu of his F90,) at least this trip. Might do the RSTV for their summer vaca, when Dad was talking about checking his carseat.

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie_R View Post
    No no, he's not SN. A bit wild, yes, but not SN lol.

I was referencing what the CARES site says, essentially, use after 40" is only for SN kids with a letter of exemption.

You think the lap belt will fit okay at 33ish pounds? I had read on here that it won't fit until 40lb? (As an aside I would really like to recommend the RSTV/Delighter/airline strap combo, but they are still working out the FAA stuff!) Hence wanting to give them the CARES option.

I think they're just going to end up taking my Maestro (in lieu of his F90,) at least this trip. Might do the RSTV for their summer vaca, when Dad was talking about checking his carseat.
    Oh, yes, ok, I misread.

A CARES harness will not contain a wild 4 year old. It's a piece of cake to open the plane seat belt whether using CARES or not. So I definitely would not buy it for THAT reason.

My ds was 3 and well below 40lbs and fit just fine in a plane seat belt.

If he's truly wild and they can manage a plane install of a harnessed seat, that would be 1st choice obviously. But if they can't/won't then I wouldn't personally bother with CARES, just be sure they have something appropriate for their destination.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Height is not a huge issue for the CARES. The website clearly states that it can be used behind the stated limit for SN.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard